First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 1968 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I traded a 2018 F150 in. I had sold my boat and used it primarily for towing. It is quite a transition if you use your bed at all. I use a basket for small things and a light trailer for the larger items(lumber, etc.) The Bronco is much more nimble on my ranch and can get to many more areas that a side by side was required before. A big plus is the instant off road capability when met with highway road construction in Texas. Fuel economy is roughly the same and I have actually been able to haul 6 passengers + driver on extreme occasions.
Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In 40 years of owning vehicles, Iā€™ve never been without a truck. Iā€™ll always need a truck, and I use the hell out of them. Fortunately for me, my wife was cool with getting a Bronco! Thatā€™s why itā€™s ā€œmyā€ truck, and ā€œherā€ Bronco. Wink, wink. šŸ˜‚

That said, not everyone has the same needs, and for the OP, I donā€™t see why a Bronco and a cheap Harbor Freight trailer wouldnā€™t do everything he needs.

Hyfly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am in a similar situation but nothing the tow package and a small flat bed trailer can fix for the occasional Home Depot run.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Havenā€™t had a pickup and only owned cars before. I do have pictures of my JKUR towing my boat, towing a U-Haul, loaded for dorm and various other move ins/outs, loaded for camping, loaded for family vacations, loaded for the beach, a double hulled DIY raft for a YMCA Guides raft race on top, loaded to go skiing, and on and on.

My message: it wonā€™t have all the practical utility of a pickup, but it will have more utility combined with capability than most other vehicles out there. Think of it as an outdoor adventure utility vehicle.

LC4Dakar

Outer Banks
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus 7, Land Rover Series 2a
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I only need a truck a few times a year, and usually for nasty or sharp edged stuff I don't want in a nice vehicle. So I will keep my old truck, no matter how much my wife wants us to have only two cars.
If you can't keep your existing truck because of $, then just get a beater. Better than nothing if you actually use it as a truck.
Ford Bronco Practicality of a Bronco IMG_20210213_141404823_BURST000_COVER_TOP

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning for a small utility trailer .... maybe set it up for 33's or 35's also !!!

I find they are far easier to deal with large or heavy items than a truck bed. Get one with the ramp/gate, just lower it and drive/dolly your stuff in.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every 80's truck here is either completed rusted out, or selling for $10k plus.
You may have to step outside of your state to get one.

Values are up lately (as they are on everything), but a solid pre-85 full size Ford or Chevy with a V8 can be found for $3-7K in varying degrees of use.
Super rough ones that mechanically work I've seen go for $1200.
Good examples that might need a seat cover, mild rust in a wheel well or fender, mechanically sound run in that 3-7K range.
Very nice examples run between 8-15K.
Restored show-level customs can range from $15-40K depending on the level of work.

I tend to fall into a sub 5K range when looking for one around here. Usually find a dozen or more, typically 2-3 out of that dozen ends up being worth it.

It's not a perfect fit for everyone, in every location, in every budget. YMMV.
But here in the southland, it isn't hard.
Even better examples can be found out west.

JMY217

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sas/Lux/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have always had a pickup until Ingot my Bronco. I miss having the bed, but I also used to accumulate so much stuff. I am enjoying the decluttering that came with the Bronco.

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I sold my 2019 Ranger, and I do miss the ability to load stuff into the bed of the truck. I knew I wasnā€™t going to have that option with my Bronco. How often do you your truck bed? I only used the truck to load wood every once in a while and transported my mountain bikes. My Ranger was awesome, but I am super happy with my Bronco. You can get the Bronco now and waiting for the F150 Lightnings to hit the lots. That is what I am going to do in four years when my lease is up on my Mach E. You wonā€™t regret the Bronco.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I sold a 2019 Raptor before I bought my Bronco last week. I went back and forth about it before moving forward. The Raptor was the road trip vehicle in addition to much of my off road stuff. It also pulled my boat, hauled trash and firewood, etc.

I'm installing a hitch on the back of the Bronco which, with a small landscape trailer, or hitch carrier will take care of most of what I need. The only thing that leaves me dealing with is the boat a couple times a year when we pull it out of the water for maintenance. All in all, the Bronco will do about 95% of what I need, and the rest wasn't a deal killer.

On top of that, it's a damn good vehicle and a hell of a lot of fun! No regrets!

Howā€™s the ride vs the Raptor. I had a 250 Tremor which the ride was harsh. My Badlands rides great compared, like an off-road vehicle should. Haha

Sponsored

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I traded in a 2013 Explorer for my Broco. I think I can count on 1 hand the number times I needed to lay down the seats in order to get a long box in the back. It did however work and I was able to carry 8 foot 2x4's or Ikea furniture boxes. I have access to a trailer if folding down the back seats doesn't work for me.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As a full-time timber buyer and part time logger the Bronco 2dr fits my lifestyle perfectly. Rear seat deleted adds room for chain saws, axe, and other gear. Most of my driving is off paved roads and some of it is very rough, muddy logging trails hardly accessible by most vehicles. Big tires and extra ground clearance are a necessity!

My hobby is building STOL airplanes and the Bronco is perfect for hauling smaller aircraft engines and other parts and tools.

I'll most likely build a half cab and turn the rear into a mini pickup bed and add a 40gal diesel tank for refueling equipment as well.

70&22bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Fallon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where thereā€™s will thereā€™s a way. 10 and 12 footers in my A7. Test drive and buy the Bronco (if you like it). Note - I added the red flag after the photo šŸ˜‚
Audi Marketing should pay you for showing their vehicleā€™s utility capabilities. šŸ˜‚

Big Barney

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Escape, 2000 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First off, I don't know how people live without a truck. I always have something I need to haul or just don't want in the cab with me. Personally, I would not get rid of a truck to get a Bronco. Now, maybe get rid of an expensive truck for the Bronco and them buy an older truck for when I need it, but not go truckless.
Agree 100%. Thatā€˜s precisely why Iā€™m keeping my 22 year old F150. It may look a little long in the tooth but it runs great and itā€™s always there when I need it.
Sponsored