Sponsored

Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn?

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. But I am vaguely concerned about shortages, too. I just had to buy new 285s for my FJ, and struggled to find them at my local tire dealer. Had to switch to a national provider with large warehousing and logistics. Some tire sizes fell into short supply over the past few months due to production and transportation delays resulting from the virus. This was true for goods produced in China, too. Winches would fall into that category. I am wondering how Ford's third-party accessory providers are going to keep up with the super high demand -- like, say, the tailgate MOLLE panel or the soft BesTop roof -- if there are any more virus- or trade war-related delays.

All this to say, I am ready to grab stuff I really, really want now if I can find it and it is universal. Winches and lighting are the best examples, since they are going to fit the modular design with no problem. Other accessories are being made specific to the Bronco's dimensions and won't be available to buy off of third-party websites for some time. But if they do suddenly show up and are in stock, I may grab them myself then. I will just have to cross my fingers that when they deliver the vehicle, Ford will have sufficient supply of any third-party accessories I order in December. I also decided to minimize the major upgrades -- tires, wheels, bumpers -- as much as possible, get my money's worth out of the factory options for a few years at least, then source and install them myself down the road when it makes financial sense.
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it not feel like the ZEON 10 is overkill for the size of this vehicle? In theory, capacity does not need to exceed 7,500 lbs for this vehicle. Understanding that the lawyers have their requirements on Ford sanctioned parts, but this will turn into a $3,500 dealer installed unit if a future owner is not also a competent DIY installer instead of a $1,500 or less option that performs the same task.
I'd say a 10K is just right. Keep in mind you'll theoretically be pulling yourself out of mud, up an incline, etc. Or more likely, pulling out someone else.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Harbor freight sells the badland winch. Wonder if they 20% coupon they always have will work on it ?

-Edit- Just tried it and it does
Harbor Freight's winches use to be Milemarker, but I am not sure if that is the case at present. I picked one up on sale their in 2002 for $250 for an 8K and I used it 100s of times and it always worked. The only problem it was not as fast as the Warn. Warn prices are IMHO not worth it.

Zraver

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Pathfindet, 85 300zx
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wheeler and more importantly former wrecker driver who has done more winching than anyone else here who is not also a wrecker driver.

1. You don't really need synthetic line. Yes its safer than wire rope but also more prone to damage. I've pulled cars and trucks out of gullys, off culverts, around trees, non-rollings hulks and even over the road tractors with an 8k ramsey using wire rope. 10k is plenty of power.

2. I currently use a HF badlands 9k on my pathy. I've pulled my self out of mud and over an obstacle, pulled a car off a culvert and a tree off a house.

3. HF duty cycle sucks for the Badlands the Apex may be better. Line speed is slow and the circuit breaker auto-offs the winch after a very short time. The Badlands Duty cycle is 15 seconds of pull then cool off. Enough to get you over a rock or out of a rut but can make a bigger stuck a longer problem... Not like you are going anywhere anyway.

4. The real key to winching success is making sure you have a good AGM or spiral cell battery with a good deep cycle reserve and a higher out put alternator. Low power= high heat and heat is the enemy.

5. Never break out with an electric winch. Braking is hot work.

6. Snatch blocks- not just half the speed but half the heat. The less the winch has to work the better.

7. 2400 for a WARN financed at 5% means you could have bought 6 APEX winches... Except HF has a life time warranty. So for the same price as that WARN you can get a APEX, Yamaha rack and an RTT....

Last edited:

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wheeler and more importantly former wrecker driver who has done more winching than anyone else here who is not also a wrecker driver.

1. You don't really need synthetic line. Yes its safer than wire rope but also more prone to damage. I've pulled cars and trucks out of gullys, off culverts, around trees, non-rollings hulks and even over the road tractors with an 8k ramsey using wire rope. 10k is plenty of power.

2. I currently use a HF badlands 9k on my pathy. I've pulled my self out of mud and over an obstacle, pulled a car off a culvert and a tree off a house.

3. HF duty cycle sucks for the Badlands the Apex may be better. Line speed is slow and the circuit breaker auto-offs the winch after a very short time. The Badlands Duty cycle is 15 seconds of pull then cool off. Enough to get you over a rock or out of a rut but can make a bigger stuck a longer problem... Not like you are going anywhere anyway.

4. The real key to winching success is making sure you have a good AGM or spiral cell battery with a good deep cycle reserve and a higher out put alternator. Low power= high heat and heat is the enemy.

5. Never break out with an electric winch. Braking is hot work.

6. Snatch blocks- not just half the speed but half the heat. The less the winch has to work the better.

7. 2400 for a WARN financed at 5% means you could have bought 6 APEX winches... Except HF has a life time warranty. So for the same price as that WARN you can get a APEX, Yamaha rack and an RTT....
Hmmm, I will not be getting a Warn. I will explore, but have presented alternatives.

Sponsored

MentalBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Toyota Tundra, Yamaha WR250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another issue with the the Warn is is design. If the trail camera stays in its proposed location. The controller box will be in the way. Or at least it looks like it will.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing that concerns me with after market winch, is the forward facing camera. They say that they are working at a solution for that, but will they only re-mount the camera "winch friendly" if you order a winch? I pray to god that their solution isn't to mount it in the bull bar, i am not a fan of bull bars. Anyway, that is my only concern with aftermarket winch.

I am sure we could re-mount that camera ourselves...actually, I am not sure of that at all....

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Great write up, thank you, it looks like HF has dropped their lifetime warranty down to 90 days.

I looked at a couple others mentioned:

Warn Evo - Limited Lifetime warranty for mechanical parts and 7 years on the electrical

Smittybilt X2O - winches come with a Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty.

Harbor Freight Badland APEX winches - Limited 90 Day Warranty

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another issue with the the Warn is is design. If the trail camera stays in its proposed location. The controller box will be in the way. Or at least it looks like it will.
Supposedly they're working on a solution

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also paying for the install and factory warranty inclusion for the $3k. Still a lot of cash for an aftermarket item.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The solenoid on the Warn, like on many winches, can be relocated.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Great write up, thank you, it looks like HF has dropped their lifetime warranty down to 90 days.

I looked at a couple others mentioned:

Warn Evo - Limited Lifetime warranty for mechanical parts and 7 years on the electrical

Smittybilt X2O - winches come with a Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty.

Harbor Freight Badland APEX winches - Limited 90 Day Warranty
most of the time with HF if there isnt a lifetime you can purchase extended which is still miles ahead of Warn pricing.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

most of the time with HF if there isnt a lifetime you can purchase extended which is still miles ahead of Warn pricing.
I believe the HF extended warranty is like 10% of the purchase price for 3 years. If you look at the Warn Evo and Smittybilt X2O series they are more reasonably priced, they are only $100 - $200 more than HF.

WARN 103253 VR EVO Series Winch 10,000lb with Synthetic Rope
$744.99
https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/vr-evo-series-winch/10000lb-synthetic-rope

Smittybilt 98510 X2O-10 Comp Gen2 Winch with Synthetic Line
$645.99
https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/x2o-10-gen2-winch-synthetic-98510

Harbor Freight Badland APEX Synthetic 12,000 lb. Wireless Winch
$599.99 (minus 20% coupon $480 plus 10% warranty $48 = $528)
Harbor Freight Badland APEX winches - Limited 90 Day + 3 yr Extended Warranty
https://www.harborfreight.com/apex-synthetic-12000-lb-wireless-winch-56385.html

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would like to not worry about interfering with trail or 360 road cameras or even carrying around the weight and extended bumper for parking lots. A nice simple receiver hitch integrated into the FRONT bumper would be optimum. Anytime I am on the road I can get out using another vehicle (usually around to help) and mainly used the winch to get myself out of trouble when I was alone, always carried a pull pal (land anchor) which is money in the desert without any trees around. Would put in quick power disconnects and throw it in the back when I hit the trails, otherwise have a mean looking bumper loaded with LEDs...
The winch on the front was alway a problem (my green LR Disco II clean just before taking onto Joshua tree) if you need to reverse to get out of trashing something. Receiver mounted winch on front and/or back was always better and pick any winch you want to use. The looks of a front winch, is agreed, meaner but 90% of then I see still have the factory cable perfectly wound around the drum... mall crawler.

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Winch on Bumper

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Winch on reciever

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Winch reciever bumper

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Winch reciever plat

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Winch on mount

Ford Bronco Pricing for Ford Performance Parts winch by Warn? Clean Rover_1.JPG
Sponsored