First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
After 5-10 minutes of driving in deep sand, it feels like I’m dragging an anchor behind me.
I’ve tried every drive mode, put it in 4wd low etc.
I get the “doom lights” advance trac disabled, drive modes disabled etc
I’ve manually shut traction control off and advanced trac by manually holding it down.
It’s like the parking brake stays on.
anyone else have this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Driving in sand is challenging, and an art. First question, did you air down? You want to float on sand, not dig in.
I’ve aired down to 18lbs on the stock tires. I’ve recently added a 2in leveling kit, and stock Sasquatch wheels and tires. I’ve aired down with both setups. Same results. I’m not rubbing the underbelly or building sand in front of my tires, if that was the question.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

18 seems fine. You tried sand, sport, Baja modes, and they all weren’t noticeably better?

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The best I can tell you since you've already aired down is momentum is your friend when driving on sand, you need enough speed to keep going at a steady pace. Harsh braking and trying to go slow will just make you dig in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did. I don’t have Baja mode

I’ll add that I have experience in the Oregon dunes and driving in Alaskan deep snow for most of my life.
Its frustrating that my gf’s 2012 Hyundai Tucson doesn’t have issues going to the same places on the same beach. Lol
This has to be a sensor issue.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve aired down to 18lbs on the stock tires. I’ve recently added a 2in leveling kit, and stock Sasquatch wheels and tires. I’ve aired down with both setups. Same results. I’m not rubbing the underbelly or building sand in front of my tires, if that was the question.
I see your problem: big wide heavy Sasquatch tires with base 3.73 gears. You can’t get enough power to the wheels with such “tall” gears, especially if you have the 4 cylinder.

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The best I can tell you since you've already aired down is momentum is your friend when driving on sand, you need enough speed to keep going at a steady pace. Harsh braking and trying to go slow will just make you dig in.
Y’all are great and I appreciate the help! I don’t want to come off that it’s not my fault, because it could be. But it’s probably not driver error.
Im hoping someone else has had this issue with their 7spd/2.3 can shed some light on some technical issues we may have with the bronco.

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I see your problem: big wide heavy Sasquatch tires with base 3.73 gears. You can’t get enough power to the wheels with such “tall” gears, especially if you have the 4 cylinder.
I don’t believe thats the case, because I had the same issue happen when I was all stock. 3 separate times before I did the adds. The 2.3

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know a Bronco Sport I had would easily cut through deep sand and much better at it than a gen 2 Raptor. I always would figure it was the lightweight of the sport cause the Raptor obviously has more power and capability.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know a Bronco Sport I had would easily cut through deep sand and much better at it than a gen 2 Raptor. I always would figure it was the lightweight of the sport cause the Raptor obviously has more power and capability.
I’ve sold a ton of bronco sports to folks that jam right through the same beach I’m having issues with! Lol

I certain it’s some kind of faulty sensor

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sand definitely isn’t the same at any 2 places. Sand in the Oregon dunes isn’t like Glamis, and Glamis isn’t like Little Sahara. Beach sand is different everywhere too. Some powdery, some harsh with crushed shells. Momentum is the key. But you should definitely be better than a Hyundai Tucson. Do you actually know if your 4wd system is functioning properly?

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t believe thats the case, because I had the same issue happen when I was all stock. 3 separate times before I did the adds. The 2.3
Wow it is worse than I thought - 4-cylinder, 3.73 gears, torque management.

Seriously though it is not just the 2.3 that lacks what I call “jump”. All turbo mills lack the low end grunt to plow thru soft sand. You gotta spool it up.

On the other hand, if you’re getting alarms or codes then take it to dealer for code scan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sand definitely isn’t the same at any 2 places. Sand in the Oregon dunes isn’t like Glamis, and Glamis isn’t like Little Sahara. Beach sand is different everywhere too. Some powdery, some harsh with crushed shells. Momentum is the key. But you should definitely be better than a Hyundai Tucson. Do you actually know if your 4wd system is functioning properly?
Yessir. I’m sure the 4wd is engaging properly. I tried to use 2wd after I had these issues (to see if it was stuck somehow) out there, I dug up to the axles. I tested that and put it back in 4wd and it came right out but with extreme resistance. I wasn’t even kind of stuck. I’ve tested my 4wd on gravel and it walks on me like it should.
Sponsored