Sponsored

Problems with the 10 speed auto

• Thread starter Deleted member 13702
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 13702

Because a mentioned the manual in my last attempt at posting about this, the thread was moved to a post on manuals, so I'll try again.

I recently test drove a 2019 Ranger with the 2.3L and Automatic transmission. The transmission downshifted while trying to stop and lunged the truck forward creating a temporary feeling of having no breaks. This seems like it would be unacceptable off road. I dug around a bit and found this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...-2020-ford-ranger-regarding-transmissions/amp

Just looking for feedback on those of you with the 10 speed in either a ranger or an F150. Any issues, any problems off-roading, or longevity issues?
Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Class action lawsuit was filed??!! JEEEEZ .... NOT GOOD.... NOT GOOD AT ALL

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These transmissions have been one of the least problematic I've seen in 23 yrs of working at ford,the FSA/tsb's listed are for external controls and programming issues(that's why all the offroadtesting that they have been doing with the pre production Broncos and Bronco R is so important)

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a ‘18 5ltr 10spd auto in my F-150 and have never had an issue with it in 3 years.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My old taco was like that, forever Hunting gears... Made me yearn for a stick again.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not getting a warm fuzzy with this news...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3063

I recently test drove a 2019 Ranger with the 2.3L and Automatic transmission. The transmission downshifted while trying to stop and lunged the truck forward creating a temporary feeling of having no breaks. This seems like it would be unacceptable off road.
Sounds like you were in sport mode.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

November Update Below:

November 15, 2020 — A Ford F-150 transmission lawsuit has been dismissed after an Illinois truck owner alleged defects caused 2017-2019 F-150s to hesitate and surge.

According to the transmission class action lawsuit, the plaintiff leased a 2018 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5 EcoBoost equipped with a 10R80 10-speed automatic transmission.

The plaintiff claims Ford knew or should have known the transmissions shift harshly and slip gears, but the automaker chose to conceal the alleged defects to continue selling the trucks. Those alleged defects lead to severe damage which can cause the F-150s to catch fire, allegedly making the trucks too dangerous to drive.

The Ford F-150 transmission lawsuit alleges drivers have constantly complained about their trucks jerking and lunging since the 10R80 transmissions were first installed in the trucks.

The lawsuit also alleges Ford issued several technical service bulletins to dealerships, and F-150 owners have submitted multiple complaints to the government.

Ford dealers were told the F-150 10-speed transmissions “may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns,” and the bulletins suggested reprogramming the powertrain control modules.

The TSBs further said the F-150 trucks were “equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy which allows the vehicle’s computer to learn the transmission’s unique parameters and improve shift quality. When the adaptive strategy is reset, the computer will begin a re-learning process,” which “may result in firmer than normal upshifts and downshifts for several days.”

But according to the transmission lawsuit, Ford's ideas for a fix failed to prevent the alleged problems.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not getting a warm fuzzy with this news...
Affected about 67,000 vehicles out of a million plus. It's not ideal but nothing I would worry about too much.

It's also good to see this stuff come up anyway. Ford has already sorted it and has a year to sort out any more issues.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Affected about 67,000 vehicles out of a million plus. It's not ideal but nothing I would worry about too much.

It's also good to see this stuff come up anyway. Ford has already sorted it and has a year to sort out any more issues.
Thanks! Warmed my fuzzy a bit. I'm still on the fence between 10A and 7M.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Totally agree! Thank you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

Sounds like you were in sport mode.
Maybe, but I didn't select it if it was. Not sure how that would make it pull when it came to a stop though. First time it did it, I thought I was going to rear end the person on front of me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

Thanks! Warmed my fuzzy a bit. I'm still on the fence between 10A and 7M.
That's where I'm at. I'm leaning on going the manual route as I wanted something more fun. Not thrilled that the manual is being built in China but what can you do. I'm a bit biased at the moment because my old Tundra just keeps trucking along without any issues, making me hesitate to get rid of it. Prior to it, I had an old 2005 explorer with a lot of transmission problems. It eventually needed a transmission replacement at 60000 miles. Just don't want to get burned again.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience has been very good, had two trucks with it, no problems, but the first I turned it at 30k miles, currently have 35k on this truck and no issues.
Sponsored