John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ziebart in Dearborn. They had a special package deal: rust proofing/sound deadening, Diamond Gloss paint protect (which included clay bar), interior protectant (which we didn't need because we have the vinyl seats), and something for the glass (like RainX on steroids).

Package price was $1000 which, when you consider rust proofing is close to $700, is a pretty good deal. The paint looked fantastic when I picked it up.
Thanks. Dearborn is doable. Sounds like you are happy with the job. First time using them?
Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. Dearborn is doable. Sounds like you are happy with the job. First time using them?
First time ever having a car rust-proofed. I'm happy with the service they provided and pray it preserves the vehicle for 10 or 20 years and beyond. I'll be honest, I still wonder if I could've saved myself a bunch of money and just bought a dozen cans of Fluid Film and done an adequate job of protecting the metal. But, Ziebart also backs their product and will re-examine the integrity of the rust proofing every year. If they see spots that need touching up, they do it for free.

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

God Bless Texas....

Tunnaman88

Badlands
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue/Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's explained in the post, and depends but with my vendor, with a car that is basically new, it was about $1000 to prepare do the undercarraige with hard wax (and fix the areas that had already rusted (sand, add rust converter, etc. and clean entire undercarriage before starting the wax oil coats.. You could do it yourself or find a cheaper vendor but I doubt it would be a thorough as what I had done. I had them go deeper with waxoil sprayed into the enclosed areas (removed wheel wells etc.), which increased the cost further.
I also live in Taxachusetts , down on Cape Cod where "Salt is King" ! I may have to drop off my 2 door badlands to him when it arrives. Everything Rots down here by the ocean. I swear the fog a night is just a salt cloud! lol

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
"My previous car (2006 4Runner recently had to be towed away for parts at 140K miles because the frame had rotted beyond repair – otherwise it was in great condition."

Hehehe ok. That's sound like a Toyota fan boy.

Sponsored

grenjith7

Badlands
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The purpose of this thread is to provide information about my experience with professionally rust proofing my 2021 Bronco Wildtrak. This is an update to some earlier threads I started here:

“Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why.”

“Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!”

Background: I live in New England where they heavily salt the roads. My previous car (2006 4Runner recently had to be towed away for parts at 140K miles because the frame had rotted beyond repair – otherwise it was in great condition. This experience jaded me so I was particularly eager to avoid a recurring situation. Disclaimer – my 4Runner was one of the ones (like Tacomas which were recalled for frame rust) that Toyota outsourced the frame to a 3rd party that failed to properly treat for rust. I am now part of current litigation pursuit for 4Runners. That said, I’m now hyper-sensitive about rust and I keep my cars for a long time. This is my daily driver.

My Wildtrak Bronco is a Dirt Mountain POW, delivered on Dec 23, 2021. The day I got it, the roads were heavily salted. In less than 2 weeks, with only 250 miles on it, there was already a strange amount of rust build up on some parts. For comparison, a friend of mine, also in MA, has been driving his bronco since August (not from Dirt Mountain) and the parts on mine that are rusted are still pristine on his (did something happen at Dirt Mountain????).

So, I brought my Bronco to Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA to have it treated for future rust avoidance. This is a high end shop of perfectionists that restore/sell exotic cars, and provide services such as detailing, body work, performance mods, exhausts, stereo, engine/suspension upgrades, ceramic coatings, PPF, detailing, etc. This shop provided some insightful pics and video of before and after.

Who should keep reading:
  • Anyone who wants to see what the Bronco looks like underneath
  • Anyone who lives in areas where they salt the roads, who wants to learn more about rust protection approaches with before/after video
  • Anyone who wants to understand what Ford has/hasn’t done to protect Bronco’s from rust
  • Anyone in New England who is considering professional rust protection
About this vendor, pricing, and products used:
  • This is a high-end vendor. They are meticulous and the shop is like a museum. There are surely less expensive vendors that offer rust protection services. Personally, I was worried about finding someone I trust, because I am a skeptic on pretty much everything and the value/effectiveness of rust proofing has been debated for decades. This vendor left me confident that they did as very comprehensive job. They did a combination of cleaning/prepping the undercarriage, sanding rusted parts, treating them with rust converter, adding multiple coats of “hard wax” to the undercarriage, and spraying “Waxoil” into the frame and body cavities. They removed wheel wells and other parts. The treatment is intended to last for the lifetime of the car. There are other products that other vendors and DIY consumers use including Fluid film, NH oil, tar-like undercoating, and other products, which all have pros/cons and price implications. If your car is already heavily rusted, the cost would be more because it would require more preparation. For my vendor, with my "new" car, it was around $1200 to clean, prep and apply 4 coats of hard wax to the undercarriage. I had them go further to get inside the frame, rocker panels and other areas with Waxoil, for a few hundred more. If you choose to do business with Alpha Cars, and mention my name (Jeff Abbott), they will give you $100 off your service. No I don’t work for them. (978) 237-5906. Ask for Jacob. They are good guys.
Before you tell me that I wasted my money:
  • I understand that my Bronco is new and barely had any rust on it. However, I was alarmed at how quickly rust had already formed on some hardware and other parts in less than 2 weeks and it makes me cringe. I plan to keep my car for a long time and again, my 4Runner was just hauled away for parts from frame rust. Not going to let that happen again.
  • I understand that there is a realistic chance that I could have ignored this issue and I may never have a mechanical problem from rust ever.
  • I understand that there are DIY products that cost less and will help protect from rust, each with pros and cons.
  • I understand that rust proofing, ceramic coating, and other things are associated with snake oil salesmen, and some people feel that rust proofing doesn’t do anything at all, isn’t needed, or even makes things worse. I chose this vendor because I believe that they have integrity and expertise and the best products and processes, and will stand behind their work. Can I prove that it was worth it? Not yet.
Jeff, I don’t want to spend the time watching these videos. What are the key takeaways?
  • According to Alpha Cars, compared to most other cars, the Bronco has very little rust protection from the manufacturer. For example, the body panels have between 5 and 9 mils of paint thickness. FYI, a mil is a thousandth of an inch (not a millimeter). The Bronco frame has only 0.5-1.0 mil of paint, which is nearly nothing. For comparison, Alpha Cars tells me that most American cars have between 1-2 mils on the frame, and European cars usually have have more. Some places on the Bronco have no paint at all where they should.
  • Different products have pros/cons. Hard wax is for the undercarriage and it is more resilient to the outside world. Unlike oils, hard wax is designed to stay on the car for life with little to no maintenance. Unlike the old-school tar-like undercoatings, hard wax doesn’t gum up your undercarriage to the point to where you couldn’t get a wrench on a nut. The hard wax was applied over several days in 4 coats. Waxoil, is more liquid-like and is sprayed to the enclosed areas, where it can travel to hard to reach areas and penetrate. Also, DIY versions of these exist, and other people will use Fluid Film, NH oil, spent motor oil, or even WD-40, but these require annual reapplication.
  • It’s up to you as to how thorough you want to be, and it comes with a price. In my case, they not only treated the undercarriage and frame, but they also removed the wheel wells, flares and plugs in the frame/rockers to access many enclosed areas, including the entire inside of the frame. In the case of the Bronco, there are so many built-in holes in the frame, they did not need to drill the frame to access everywhere. In my case, they also sanded and rust treated the drive shaft and axle shafts. I may paint them too – really just for cosmetic reasons. My yellow Bilstein shocks are now black :(.
  • I am very pleased with the service and quality from Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA. I believe they did this as thoroughly as possible and they clearly take pride in their work. Again, if you give them my name (Jeff Abbott), they will take $100 off your service. And again, they do lots of other stuff that new Bronco owners would be interested in.
Okay, enough already, show me the Before/After Videos:

BEFORE VIDEO
with evaluation. This has a great analysis of the paint thicknesses, and shows where Ford did, and didn’t, protect the Bronco from rust:

AFTER VIDEO showing everything they did.

And here are some BEFORE pics (keep in mind this is from less that 2 weeks of ownership so it's obviously still in great shape overall and there is no rust on frame yet, but...):
IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg

And here are some AFTER pics (between 3rd and 4th coats):
IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg
Thanks for sharing. good information

grenjith7

Badlands
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The purpose of this thread is to provide information about my experience with professionally rust proofing my 2021 Bronco Wildtrak. This is an update to some earlier threads I started here:

Background: I live in New England where they heavily salt the roads. My previous car (2006 4Runner recently had to be towed away for parts at 140K miles because the frame had rotted beyond repair – otherwise it was in great condition. This experience jaded me so I was particularly eager to avoid a recurring situation. Disclaimer – my 4Runner was one of the ones (like Tacomas which were recalled for frame rust) that Toyota outsourced the frame to a 3rd party that failed to properly treat for rust. I am now part of current litigation pursuit for 4Runners. That said, I’m now hyper-sensitive about rust and I keep my cars for a long time. This is my daily driver.

My Wildtrak Bronco is a Dirt Mountain POW, delivered on Dec 23, 2021. The day I got it, the roads were heavily salted. In less than 2 weeks, with only 250 miles on it, there was already a strange amount of rust build up on some parts. For comparison, a friend of mine, also in MA, has been driving his bronco since August (not from Dirt Mountain) and the parts on mine that are rusted are still pristine on his (did something happen at Dirt Mountain????).

So, I brought my Bronco to Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA to have it treated for future rust avoidance. This is a high end shop of perfectionists that restore/sell exotic cars, and provide services such as detailing, body work, performance mods, exhausts, stereo, engine/suspension upgrades, ceramic coatings, PPF, detailing, etc. This shop provided some insightful pics and video of before and after.

Who should keep reading:
  • Anyone who lives in areas where they salt the roads, who wants to learn more about rust protection approaches with before/after video
  • Anyone who wants to understand what Ford has/hasn’t done to protect Bronco’s from rust
  • This is a high-end vendor. They are meticulous and the shop is like a museum. There are surely less expensive vendors that offer rust protection services. Personally, I was worried about finding someone I trust, because I am a skeptic on pretty much everything and the value/effectiveness of rust proofing has been debated for decades. This vendor left me confident that they did as very comprehensive job. They did a combination of cleaning/prepping the undercarriage, sanding rusted parts, treating them with rust converter, adding multiple coats of “hard wax” to the undercarriage, and spraying “Waxoil” into the frame and body cavities. They removed wheel wells and other parts. The treatment is intended to last for the lifetime of the car. There are other products that other vendors and DIY consumers use including Fluid film, NH oil, tar-like undercoating, and other products, which all have pros/cons and price implications. If your car is already heavily rusted, the cost would be more because it would require more preparation. For my vendor, with my "new" car, it was around $1200 to clean, prep and apply 4 coats of hard wax to the undercarriage. I had them go further to get inside the frame, rocker panels and other areas with Waxoil, for a few hundred more. If you choose to do business with Alpha Cars, and mention my name (Jeff Abbott), they will give you $100 off your service. No I don’t work for them. (978) 237-5906. Ask for Jacob. They are good guys.
  • I understand that my Bronco is new and barely had any rust on it. However, I was alarmed at how quickly rust had already formed on some hardware and other parts in less than 2 weeks and it makes me cringe. I plan to keep my car for a long time and again, my 4Runner was just hauled away for parts from frame rust. Not going to let that happen again.
  • I understand that there is a realistic chance that I could have ignored this issue and I may never have a mechanical problem from rust ever.
  • I understand that there are DIY products that cost less and will help protect from rust, each with pros and cons.
  • I understand that rust proofing, ceramic coating, and other things are associated with snake oil salesmen, and some people feel that rust proofing doesn’t do anything at all, isn’t needed, or even makes things worse. I chose this vendor because I believe that they have integrity and expertise and the best products and processes, and will stand behind their work. Can I prove that it was worth it? Not yet.
Jeff, I don’t want to spend the time watching these videos. What are the key takeaways?
  • According to Alpha Cars, compared to most other cars, the Bronco has very little rust protection from the manufacturer. For example, the body panels have between 5 and 9 mils of paint thickness. FYI, a mil is a thousandth of an inch (not a millimeter). The Bronco frame has only 0.5-1.0 mil of paint, which is nearly nothing. For comparison, Alpha Cars tells me that most American cars have between 1-2 mils on the frame, and European cars usually have have more. Some places on the Bronco have no paint at all where they should.
  • Different products have pros/cons. Hard wax is for the undercarriage and it is more resilient to the outside world. Unlike oils, hard wax is designed to stay on the car for life with little to no maintenance. Unlike the old-school tar-like undercoatings, hard wax doesn’t gum up your undercarriage to the point to where you couldn’t get a wrench on a nut. The hard wax was applied over several days in 4 coats. Waxoil, is more liquid-like and is sprayed to the enclosed areas, where it can travel to hard to reach areas and penetrate. Also, DIY versions of these exist, and other people will use Fluid Film, NH oil, spent motor oil, or even WD-40, but these require annual reapplication.
  • It’s up to you as to how thorough you want to be, and it comes with a price. In my case, they not only treated the undercarriage and frame, but they also removed the wheel wells, flares and plugs in the frame/rockers to access many enclosed areas, including the entire inside of the frame. In the case of the Bronco, there are so many built-in holes in the frame, they did not need to drill the frame to access everywhere. In my case, they also sanded and rust treated the drive shaft and axle shafts. I may paint them too – really just for cosmetic reasons. My yellow Bilstein shocks are now black :(.
  • I am very pleased with the service and quality from Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA. I believe they did this as thoroughly as possible and they clearly take pride in their work. Again, if you give them my name (Jeff Abbott), they will take $100 off your service. And again, they do lots of other stuff that new Bronco owners would be interested in.

BEFORE VIDEO
with evaluation. This has a great analysis of the paint thicknesses, and shows where Ford did, and didn’t, protect the Bronco from rust:

And here are some BEFORE pics (keep in mind this is from less that 2 weeks of ownership so it's obviously still in great shape overall and there is no rust on frame yet, but...):
IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg
only thing i see as an issue is- he sprayed on the Bilstein shocks. that should be left yellow

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also live in Taxachusetts , down on Cape Cod where "Salt is King" ! I may have to drop off my 2 door badlands to him when it arrives. Everything Rots down here by the ocean. I swear the fog a night is just a salt cloud! lol
It kinda is. Salt fog testing is used for accelerated corrosion examinations.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who should keep reading:

BEFORE VIDEO

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg
$1200 well spent!! I'd love to do something like that if I can find a reputable place in Hawaii

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Congratulations on using probably the best shop in New England! I'm up in Maine and very familiar with the folks at Alpha, amazing operation, their work is top shelf.

Nothing will stop rust, but if we can delay it 5-10 years it's worth a try. Stuff up here begins to rust after 3 years, I've seen 2016 Suburbans with perforations on the rear frame rails lately, it's awful.

Keep this thread alive, let us know how things looks in the Spring, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Actually my last two Bronco Eddie B's a 1994 and a 1996 were both rustproofed by Ziebart and even after 20+ years neither of them had any rust whatsoever anywhere on the body and frame. It does work. I have an appointment o get my BB done and they are charging my $700. I am told that the parent company supplies them with layout of where to apply the coatings so they have researched it.

Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually my last two Bronco Eddie B's a 1994 and a 1996 were both rustproofed by Ziebart and even after 20+ years neither of them had any rust whatsoever anywhere on the body and frame. It does work. I have an appointment o get my BB done and they are charging my $700. I am told that the parent company supplies them with layout of where to apply the coatings so they have researched it.
It really depends where you live. I'm on the coast of Maine, it's brutal.

BronkedUp413

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Volvo S-60, 13 Ford Fusion, 16 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the informative post and video. This isn't something I would have thought about. Our other cars haven't for the most part developed underbody rust problems, stored outside, with semi-frequent underbody washings over the winter, although we generally haven't kept most cars for 8+ years. The bed of my now dead 2004 Ranger was corroded through in the last few years but I think it was neglected in its younger years (before I owned it).

Its a bit disturbing how little attention Ford paid to this based on the video (at least in your build). I live about an hour west of Boxborough, so when my 22 arrives (possibly in 23 at this rate) I may have Alpha check it out and treat it. It definitely is not "cheap" but for what they are doing, and the overall cost of the vehicle, it seems to be a good investment. I also would ask them directly about "cracking" of the coating down the road possibly making things worse though.

Wickedbronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry if this has been asked but how will this hold up to power washing. Being an off-road vehicle, the undercarriage will get a lot more abuse from mud and cleaning.

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First time ever having a car rust-proofed. I'm happy with the service they provided and pray it preserves the vehicle for 10 or 20 years and beyond. I'll be honest, I still wonder if I could've saved myself a bunch of money and just bought a dozen cans of Fluid Film and done an adequate job of protecting the metal. But, Ziebart also backs their product and will re-examine the integrity of the rust proofing every year. If they see spots that need touching up, they do it for free.
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with over 200,000 miles. I bought it new. Never rust-proofed it. It has held up extremely well
Thanks. I've been wondering if I should do this. I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with over 200,000 miles. Never parked in a garage. 100% of it's life spent in Michigan. Looks like new and I have never rust-proofed. Recent picture below. I hope my Bronco holds up as well... but I've been considering giving it an edge with a little rust-proofing...
Ford Bronco Professional rust proofing my Bronco - BEFORE/AFTER with pics and videos B5C5D25A-639E-40C5-AACD-9227C304053C
Sponsored