Sponsored

Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket?

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'll probably go aftermarket on the hitch and get the Ford oem wiring harness.
Sponsored

Mr. Green

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ 2-door Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

Four bolt install. The issue will be if you need trailer braking which will be more involved if not OE. If you just need for a rack, four bolts, drawbar, done. No need for trailer brakes then flat 4 pin for turn, stop, and marker lights? Still have to figure out if you can tap into existing wiring with a kit or if that is going to cause problems with factory lighting. We've seen a few cases where trailer lights were tapped into factory rear lights and it caused lighting control module problems due to the additional load. Most of the stuff anymore is controlled by modules that get a signal from a switch or sensor to activate whatever. These circuits are closely monitored for loads, resistance and shorts to power or ground.

It will get figured out pretty quickly by the aftermarket but for the sake of the question, I would try to get an OEM hitch if possible due to the simplicity of it as well as carrying a part warranty. Make sure you use the OEM hardware too.

Can you imagine if you took the bronco apart that far only to install a tow hitch...lol

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One other thing worth noting hitch related....

The Raptor hitch does have "tongue" that sticks out below the 7/4 pin connector, presumably for additional protection on high angle obstacles. The OE and OE accessory does not have this.

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? 1660042385832

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the light tow rating of the Bronco, I'd go aftermarket hitch with a 4 pin in line. If I needed to tow something that needed trailer brakes I'd opt for a pick up or something with a much larger tow rating.

I have towed so may boats and small landscape and utility trailers without trailer brakes on small trucks and medium SUV's with light tow ratings and never had any issues. I did a lot of towing with Jeep TJ's- very short wheel base- no issues at all. Light loads like 1500-3000 LBS.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The question really is, will the factory tow delay your order in an unacceptable way. If yes, go aftermarket, if not, factory has some advantages that makes it worth considering.

Unfortunately, Ford isn't going to say - Hey, we can build your order today, if you drop the hitch.

That would make it easy.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The question really is, will the factory tow delay your order in an unacceptable way. If yes, go aftermarket, if not, factory has some advantages that makes it worth considering.

Unfortunately, Ford isn't going to say - Hey, we can build your order today, if you drop the hitch.

That would make it easy.
I added tow back on Saturday the 13th of august to push mine to a 23
Instead I got previewed and scheduled for a build
Sponsored