Sponsored

Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket?

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is there any reason to do factory hitch vs. aftermarket? Pros/cons?
You will get the wiring and hopefully is comes as a 7 pin
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgrading from 4 pin to 7 pin is a very easy task. The difference is the addition of 12V+, Electric Brake and Reverse wire. Seeing that the 4 pin Ford accessory is available right now, the addition of the other three is relatively easy from there. If you're someone with good electrical wiring skills, and capable of proper dis-assembly and reassembly of interior components, I wouldn't be concerned. I would not suggest doing this if you don't understand how relays should be wired, proper routing of wires etc.... I would also not suggest sending this to a nationwide hitch installer due to my questioning their quality often. All of this is said without knowledge of Ford having backup assist etc built into their system. If they do, aftermarket will not equal the OEM setup. If there are no add ons, it will equal OEM if properly installed. I ordered both the Bronco 4 pin harness and the hitch. The harness is an in stock part, available now, and works on many models. The hard hitch assembly is not available yet.
You say so confidently.

It's worth noting that the Bronco is going to be Canbus with PWM LED lighting.... and tapping into 12v+ sources for the trailer items aren't necessarily going to be as trivial as they once were.

For the record, it's well within my ability and comfort to do this kind of wiring... but I definitely not going to assume it will be a simple task. Hell, it may even require a computer reflash/update... which would be a trip to the dealer as of now, as Forscan isn't up with Sync4 vehicles yet.

I've weighed the possibilities (included what we don't know) and I've settled on just letting the factory to do it.

$0.02

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? 1622731199476

This is coming out of vehicle and appears to have trailer brake, reverse, ground, left turn, right turn, park and battery power wires to it regardless of tow option. One will need to add the TBC from Ford accessories plus the 4 pin wiring that would be coming from the (factory) module that would be mounted above the wheel well.

Connector 4099 is NOT the 7 pin socket, it's the body harness that actually plugs into something like this.
Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? 1622731659500

This is a factory 4-7 pin combo. Don't think it fits Bronco but one will be needed to make the final hookup. The other misconception is that the turn signals or park lights come from direct connection to those circuits, they don't. Park does come out of the battery junction box via a non-serviceable trailer tow relay that I assume all will have. The turn signals and presumably brake lights come from the CAN (communication network) and translated into a blinking signal or stop lights. It doesn't specifically say that but would make sense. There is a brake signal from the switch to the TBC access wiring for braking function, not really for 4 pin stop lights.

They did this for a reason and every circuit is monitored for shorts to power or ground and high resistance. Tapping directly into the rear lights without some type of module converting a signal into a load circuit is going to freak out the BCM, SCCM or BJB.

I have some ideas that might be less costly but need a vehicle here to play with. The other caveat is the wiring diagrams may not be complete or 100% accurate. Since they are live, Ford can and will update them like the workshop manuals to reflect running changes.

ETA: M2DZ-19H332-A trailer tow module $220.00 MSRP
9U5Z-14489-MAA 7 /4 pin "sleeve" from the above pic. $52.67 MSRP (we carry these in stock)
MB3Z-17D826-A receiver hitch less bolts $245.40 MSRP

A couple of these parts are showing in the depot and I'm going to try and get. Good chance they won't release but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You say so confidently.

It's worth noting that the Bronco is going to be Canbus with PWM LED lighting.... and tapping into 12v+ sources for the trailer items aren't necessarily going to be as trivial as they once were.

For the record, it's well within my ability and comfort to do this kind of wiring... but I definitely not going to assume it will be a simple task. Hell, it may even require a computer reflash/update... which would be a trip to the dealer as of now, as Forscan isn't up with Sync4 vehicles yet.

I've weighed the possibilities (included what we don't know) and I've settled on just letting the factory to do it.

$0.02
The wiring unknowns to some have been satisfied to me. Ford is selling a 4 pin designed for

PWM LED. Wire as follows:

Battery (Thru Relay?) = 12V+ power source for the aftermarket system.
License plate lamp = Both trailer (dim)Tail lights and trailer marker lights
Brake lights = Both trailer (bright) tail lights
LH Signal = LH (bright) tail light
RH Signal = RH (Bright) tail light
Ground= Ground

With this system, the lower voltage marker \ tail lights are no longer a factor. The whole system is only triggered by the factory wiring. Adding the additional power and brake wire (and reverse if chosen) is all easy to add if you have decent electrical experience.

It's true that there could be a can-bus factor, but I'm having my doubts. Just my guess, I'm betting that the only factor will be manually disabling the backup sensors while backing up. I'm saying that based on expecting basic functions (no steering assist etc)

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will use the hitch for chaining up my dog while camping in the wild!
you could use the recovery hooks for that couldn't you?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The wiring unknowns to some have been satisfied to me. Ford is selling a 4 pin designed for

PWM LED. Wire as follows:

Battery (Thru Relay?) = 12V+ power source for the aftermarket system.
License plate lamp = Both trailer (dim)Tail lights and trailer marker lights
Brake lights = Both trailer (bright) tail lights
LH Signal = LH (bright) tail light
RH Signal = RH (Bright) tail light
Ground= Ground

With this system, the lower voltage marker \ tail lights are no longer a factor. The whole system is only triggered by the factory wiring. Adding the additional power and brake wire (and reverse if chosen) is all easy to add if you have decent electrical experience.

It's true that there could be a can-bus factor, but I'm having my doubts. Just my guess, I'm betting that the only factor will be manually disabling the backup sensors while backing up. I'm saying that based on expecting basic functions (no steering assist etc)
Yeah, I guess you and I just come to different conclusions on thisā€¦ considering the electrical infrastructre needed to add just a 4 pin (marker, plus left and right blink), Iā€™m not willing to be so cavalier about how easy adding reverse, brake, and 12v signals will be.

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? B488FDBE-0C09-4EFF-8D44-46DD57A533E3

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I guess you and I just come to different conclusions on thisā€¦ considering the electrical infrastructre needed to add just a 4 pin (marker, plus left and right blink), Iā€™m not willing to be so cavalier about how easy adding reverse, brake, and 12v signals will be.

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? B488FDBE-0C09-4EFF-8D44-46DD57A533E3
Factory TRM (trailer module) requires PMI installation which will be a big no-go. If Forscan can eventually do it the address is 791. The Ford FT1Z-15A416-A for $110.00 looks like the easiest way to go if you only need the 4 pin. Hate cutting into wiring to do this so may see if I can find a factory hard shell to use. This just taps into rear wiring, blech.

MarkPickens

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1622731199476.png

This is coming out of vehicle and appears to have trailer brake, reverse, ground, left turn, right turn, park and battery power wires to it regardless of tow option. One will need to add the TBC from Ford accessories plus the 4 pin wiring that would be coming from the (factory) module that would be mounted above the wheel well.

Connector 4099 is NOT the 7 pin socket, it's the body harness that actually plugs into something like this.
1622731659500.png

This is a factory 4-7 pin combo. Don't think it fits Bronco but one will be needed to make the final hookup. The other misconception is that the turn signals or park lights come from direct connection to those circuits, they don't. Park does come out of the battery junction box via a non-serviceable trailer tow relay that I assume all will have. The turn signals and presumably brake lights come from the CAN (communication network) and translated into a blinking signal or stop lights. It doesn't specifically say that but would make sense. There is a brake signal from the switch to the TBC access wiring for braking function, not really for 4 pin stop lights.

They did this for a reason and every circuit is monitored for shorts to power or ground and high resistance. Tapping directly into the rear lights without some type of module converting a signal into a load circuit is going to freak out the BCM, SCCM or BJB.

I have some ideas that might be less costly but need a vehicle here to play with. The other caveat is the wiring diagrams may not be complete or 100% accurate. Since they are live, Ford can and will update them like the workshop manuals to reflect running changes.

9U5Z-14489-MAA 7 /4 pin "sleeve" from the above pic. $52.67 MSRP (we carry these in stock)

A couple of these parts are showing in the depot and I'm going to try and get. Good chance they won't release but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
[/QUOTE

Does anyone know exactly where the C4099 Trailer Tow Connector is at?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know exactly where the C4099 Trailer Tow Connector is at?
If you do not have factory TT, it's not there. The main harness is different between tow and non tow vehicles.

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is an old post but I figured by now more have had time to decide between getting the factory tow system from the accessories catalog (and maybe having Ford do the install) and going aftermarket. I, like so many, ordered my Bronco without the tow package as that was the one commodity I was willing to give up on to avoid delay. Of course, as luck would have it, I now have the desire to do some camping (teardrop trailer to be within that 3,500 max tow) and regret not getting that factory tow hitch as in the end I don't think it made a difference with my build date.

After reading thru this post it is obvious there are some concerns with going aftermarket and chancing it with someone less than adequate doing the install. Thus, I am now leaning toward ordering the tow/hitch package using my points (well at least some) and then just having the dealership do the install. Looks like 2 part numbers:

1) the tow trailer assembly: https://accessories.ford.com/produc...efSrc=6974820483263&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

2) 4 pin wiring harness: https://accessories.ford.com/produc...efSrc=6972534718655&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

Both together just under $500. I guess the 7-pin is for a brake controller setup, which I doubt I would ever need. It seems this is the better option to keep my factory clearance specs up but curious if others have found a better solution.

Thanks!

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is an old post but I figured by now more have had time to decide between getting the factory tow system from the accessories catalog (and maybe having Ford do the install) and going aftermarket. I, like so many, ordered my Bronco without the tow package as that was the one commodity I was willing to give up on to avoid delay. Of course, as luck would have it, I now have the desire to do some camping (teardrop trailer to be within that 3,500 max tow) and regret not getting that factory tow hitch as in the end I don't think it made a difference with my build date.

After reading thru this post it is obvious there are some concerns with going aftermarket and chancing it with someone less than adequate doing the install. Thus, I am now leaning toward ordering the tow/hitch package using my points (well at least some) and then just having the dealership do the install. Looks like 2 part numbers:

1) the tow trailer assembly: https://accessories.ford.com/produc...efSrc=6974820483263&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

2) 4 pin wiring harness: https://accessories.ford.com/produc...efSrc=6972534718655&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

Both together just under $500. I guess the 7-pin is for a brake controller setup, which I doubt I would ever need. It seems this is the better option to keep my factory clearance specs up but curious if others have found a better solution.

Thanks!
Thought I would update my own post. I ended up ordering the factory tow trailer assembly and 4 pin wiring harness and having Ford even do the install. The tow trailer assembly is very straight forward but the wiring harness, not so much. Mine was only the third Bronco my dealership had done and the other two were lessons for them. Evidently Ford is using an older style wiring harness on the Bronco that this needs to connect to and to get to it they even have to remove the rear seats. Translates to a few hours work.

Thus, moral of the story is, if you want a tow package, make sure you order it from factory as going this route will cost you about twice as much. For me, I did save some $$ with my dealership giving me a little break on the parts and then I used all of my points to cover the labor. Still, those could have been used somewhere else.

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My first 2011 Explorer had an aftermarket trailer hitch. The SUV had no trailer tow switch. The transmission was constantly hunting for the right gear when towing. There was no way to turn off the rear backing collision warning which would just scream every time you backed up the trailer. Itā€™s great to try to back up a boat trailer with a very loud warning buzzer in your ears. The 2nd Explorer I bought had a factory Tow package. All those awful problems were eliminated. I donā€™t know if the Bronco will have a similar set up. I wasnā€™t taking the chance. I ordered a factory tow.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you install yourself there is no commodity concerns.
It is cheaper.
You will spend an afternoon working with your hands on your new toy and will have a much better understanding of your vehicle when you are done.
All good things for me.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks!
Why would Ford offer a 4 pin as an aftermarket accessory if it wouldnā€™t work? I have also seen someone say they hd a non splice harness that plugged in
Sponsored