Sponsored

Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket?

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is there any reason to do factory hitch vs. aftermarket? Pros/cons?
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

after market will most likely be cheaper but probably won't look as clean. I have zero interest in installing anything myself and really don't want my new ride in some shop shortly after finally getting it, so I ordered from factory. On my Tacoma I had it installed afterwards and the cable harness just hangs around under the truck and some control module was attached with double sided tape that long gave up, just zip tied to things.
From ford you get the two sockets (4 and 7 leads I think?) nicely installed with nice little doors over them, making it look clean.

But it's easy to get later on. Uhaul and others, I got mine where I got my camper shell for the Taco.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not having to deal with a poorly installed wiring is the number one reason not to go with aftermarket

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there any reason to do factory hitch vs. aftermarket? Pros/cons?
Depends what you’re going to use it for...
- A bike rack? Go aftermarket.
- A trailer with brakes? Get factory and Ford trailer brake controller.
- A utility trailer with no brakes... toss up.

Sponsored

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As someone who is going aftermarket (base) I would probably say the wait for an aftermarket solution will probably be a con.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The biggest con for many aftermarket hitches is that they don’t tuck up like the factory hitch and cost you in departure angle because they hang so low. They catch on things. The factory hitch is perfectly out of the way.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

after market will most likely be cheaper but probably won't look as clean. I have zero interest in installing anything myself and really don't want my new ride in some shop shortly after finally getting it, so I ordered from factory. On my Tacoma I had it installed afterwards and the cable harness just hangs around under the truck and some control module was attached with double sided tape that long gave up, just zip tied to things.
From ford you get the two sockets (4 and 7 leads I think?) nicely installed with nice little doors over them, making it look clean.

But it's easy to get later on. Uhaul and others, I got mine where I got my camper shell for the Taco.
That right there is my feeling to the tea. Yes it's cheaper to go aftermarket, and that's what I've done with all of my trucks. But, I just don't want to mess with it this time. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. :)

SEkevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will only use for bikes so I pulled hitch from my order. Checked with dealer and hitch would be $400 thru them.

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not once, while installing an aftermarket hitch and wiring, have I said to myself, "man I'm glad I didn't get the factory hitch and wiring". Essentially, in my experience, the cost differential between factory and aftermarket is minimal, if you value your time to install, etc.

I've added it to my build... if it means a delay in delivery, that's a delay I'm willing to live with :)

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? IMG_1323.JPG

Ford Bronco Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket? IMG_1324.JPG

Four bolt install. The issue will be if you need trailer braking which will be more involved if not OE. If you just need for a rack, four bolts, drawbar, done. No need for trailer brakes then flat 4 pin for turn, stop, and marker lights? Still have to figure out if you can tap into existing wiring with a kit or if that is going to cause problems with factory lighting. We've seen a few cases where trailer lights were tapped into factory rear lights and it caused lighting control module problems due to the additional load. Most of the stuff anymore is controlled by modules that get a signal from a switch or sensor to activate whatever. These circuits are closely monitored for loads, resistance and shorts to power or ground.

It will get figured out pretty quickly by the aftermarket but for the sake of the question, I would try to get an OEM hitch if possible due to the simplicity of it as well as carrying a part warranty. Make sure you use the OEM hardware too.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam...

....all I will say is, if you are at all interested in the 7-pin connector, or adding a trailer brake controller, you should just get the factory package.

If you are NOT interested in any of that, it will most certainly be cheaper to do it aftermarket... but you have to wait for aftermarket to be available, and you have to weigh how much work you want to do yourself and whether that time is worth it to you.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam...

....all I will say is, if you are at all interested in the 7-pin connector, or adding a trailer brake controller, you should just get the factory package.

If you are interested in any of that, it will most certainly be cheaper to do it aftermarket... but you have to wait for aftermarket to be available, and you have to weigh how much work you want to do yourself and whether that time is worth it to you.
👆🏻 add a "not" after the third word of the second paragraph and you have it all right here. For further discussion read the other threads on this exact topic in the towing forum.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still can't believe the trailer hitch isn't welded to the frame. My 2002 Trailblazer had a trailer hitch from the factory welded into the frame - in fact all Trailblazer/Envoys did back then. I kind of expected that to happen with the Bronco.

Can't believe it is held in by 4 measly bolts...
Sponsored