Sponsored

Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
fubar is the wrong description, as that implies that it can't be corrected.... cluster-f is more accurate.....

FoMoCo has done a Terrible Job defining the differences between a Bronco with and without the Tow Package.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

fubar is the wrong description, as that implies that it can't be corrected.... cluster-f is more accurate.....

FoMoCo has done a Terrible Job defining the differences between a Bronco with and without the Tow Package.
Lol... I dunno. One could argue

fubar - decisions or situations that have no obvious rhyme or reason.

Cluster F - the actual implementation is a disaster but the underlying idea is sound.

So I guess one could say Ford's choices of which options affect which internals are provided is Fubar. Ford's reservation process, dealer allocation, and lack of proof reading is a Cluster F :ROFLMAO:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3500lbs. isn't much, wanna tow something buy a truck.
Tired of these type of comments. A 4dr BL should be able to tow a small offroad camper that weighs 3400lbs fully loaded. By Fordā€™s numbers, that technically exceeds the GCWR on the 4dr BL. I shouldnā€™t need to take my truck every time we want to go dispersed camping and wheeling trails.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I canā€™t believe it doesnā€™t tow more. I mean I get it, but seriously I had a keep liberty that towed more.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not sure I understand the statements about waiting for aftermarket development of the trailer hitch or the appearance of a non-factory installed hitch. An aftermarket offering is not the only option for those wishing to self install.

The hitch and harness is available in the Ford Accessory Catalog.

Once the production units start to be delivered we'll know the configurations of the factory installed trailer wiring harness, until then Ford has been silent of the specific configuration (AFAIK). Many have speculated that the factory installed unit will include the trailer brake controller connection, but that seems to be conjecture at this point.
Its not speculation, it is clearly stated in a number of places that the Ford 7/4 pin wiring has a socket under the dash to accept an aftermarket controller. The accessory controller to be sold by Ford dealers requires the Ford factory wiring with its included socket.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its not speculation, it is clearly stated in a number of places that the Ford 7/4 pin wiring has a socket under the dash to accept an aftermarket controller. The accessory controller to be sold by Ford dealers requires the Ford factory wiring with its included socket.
Not attempting to be argumentative, but clearly stated where and by whom? If you tell me a guy on the board talked to a guy that works at MAP and he said it was there, I'm not believing it until someone actually get their hands on one and checks an actual production unit.

And does anyone know for a fact that the wiring harness sold thru Ford will not have a provision for a brake controller. I don't and I haven't seen any information from Ford.

Bottom line is that it's an individual decision, just not sure why people on both sides of the issue are so sure their option will be better. Both options have merit, which is better- at this point we just don't know.

Last edited:

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That right there is my feeling to the tea. Yes it's cheaper to go aftermarket, and that's what I've done with all of my trucks. But, I just don't want to mess with it this time. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. :)
Join the Club šŸ˜‰

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lol... I dunno. One could argue

fubar - decisions or situations that have no obvious rhyme or reason.

Cluster F - the actual implementation is a disaster but the underlying idea is sound.

So I guess one could say Ford's choices of which options affect which internals are provided is Fubar. Ford's reservation process, dealer allocation, and lack of proof reading is a Cluster F :ROFLMAO:
Goat F - A cluster-f with a lot of witnesses.

I think this one applies too.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure I understand the statements about waiting for aftermarket development of the trailer hitch or the appearance of a non-factory installed hitch. An aftermarket offering is not the only option for those wishing to self install.

The hitch and harness is available in the Ford Accessory Catalog.

Once the production units start to be delivered we'll know the configurations of the factory installed trailer wiring harness, until then Ford has been silent of the specific configuration (AFAIK). Many have speculated that the factory installed unit will include the trailer brake controller connection, but that seems to be conjecture at this point.
Not attempting to be argumentative, but clearly stated where and by whom? If you tell me a guy on the board talked to a guy that works at MAP and he said it was there, I'm not believing it until someone actually get their hands on one and checks an actual production unit.

And does anyone know for a fact that the wiring harness sold thru Ford will not have a provision for a brake controller. I don't and I haven't seen any information from Ford.

Bottom line is that it's an individual decision, just not sure why people on both sides of the issue are so sure their option will be better. Both options have merit, which is better- at this point we just don't know.
The Ford Accessory wiring harness is only a 4-pin and thus can not accommodate a brake controller.

There has been no reveal of a 7-pin wiring harness available separatelyā€¦. Not sure what would be needed to order the part from the parts catalog and install retroactivelyā€¦ but I would not assume itā€™s easy.

Weā€™ve have the parts diagrams shared here, and itā€™s not clear whether the plug-and-play module under the dash for adding a brake controller is present on all units, or just those optioned with the tow/7-pin harnessā€¦ but it does exist, and Iā€™m not taking any chancesā€¦ Iā€™m optioning the tow package from Ford so everything Iā€™ll need arrives.

If I upgrade to a different receiver later on, Iā€™m okay eating the cost of the overpriced Ford one if it saves me the headache of missing vital components for the 7-pin.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I may remove the hitch and stock bumper to replace with a rear bumper that has a built in hitch,
but
I will absolutely pay $595 for the stock wiring.
It's just too cheap to pass.

I am very confident I can squirrel away an extra $50/month between now and delivery.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know if tow package is really a holdup. I have written this same thing in other posts. I ordered the tow pkg and i have a build date.

But to answer your question, there isn't much difference. Most aftermarket hitch receivers are the same grade and finish as the factory stuff. They bolt on the same way with same hardware. The light plug will be similar and it will integrate into your factory writing harness the same way.

On one vehicle that i added a Curt hitch receiver, the light plug didn't have an affixed bracket, it just tucked away in the car. But i think that may have been how the Acura factory plug stored too.

If i thought this decision could delay my rig, I'd go aftermarket. I'm going without a hard-top for chrissake.

I remember thinking about it when placing my order. The aftermarket solution might be a little cheaper.

For people who wrote, I need hitch on day one, would you rather wait longer for the factory hitch? Not me. I need a frigging roof on day one. But I'll drive this thing with no roof for the summer and hope there's a white hard-top available before winter.

And for people talking about brake controller, would that be included in factory pkg? I didn't check, but that is usually a different install. With this vehicle's low towing capacity...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I canā€™t believe it doesnā€™t tow more. I mean I get it, but seriously I had a keep liberty that towed more.
I can see why that particular installation might not be capable of more weight, but I can also see easy ways to increase the strength and rigidity of where the trailer tow hitch mounts in order to increase it's capability significantly. It looks like they designed the section to that weight parameter (3500#) and otherwise kept that section as low weight as practical. It's not "weak", but it's not nearly as strong as it could be with some simple bracing. Just two cross braces to triangulate the rear frame rail with the frame sides would increase the strength enormously.
Sponsored