Sponsored

Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top?

max6spd

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Bronco Owner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I've never owned a jeep or a convertible for that matter. When it comes to the Bronco, what are the pros/cons of a soft top over a hard top? Since I live in the NE, I do have winter to contend with. Are the soft tops noticeably less insulated? Does it get really noisy during windy weather? On the flip side, are the hard tops noticeably warmer because they're under the rays of the sun and the metal/plastic absorb the heat? Do the soft tops need to be replaced every few years due to rips and tears from use?

I'd like to get a soft top because I want the option to pop the top rather than having to store the panels in the rear. What's the consensus?
Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably depends on the specific top. Normally the soft tops are similar to convertible cars. (a waterproofed fabric) They do very little to protect you from outside temps or noise. (there could be premium options that add some additional insulation) The hard tops will be closer to a normal vehicle roof in that regard and it sounds like the bronco roof will have optional additional insulation.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Soft top pros: Less expensive, easier to take off.
Soft top cons: Things inside the vehicle are more prone to theft, doesn't insulate as well, higher road noise, has to be replaced over time

Hard top pros: less road noise, better insulated, better security
Hard top cons: more expensive, harder to remove, more expensive

RobC2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3P
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a Wrangler with the premium soft top and that was mostly fine for my usage, but I was always a little afraid to take it on road trips and leave it parked in hotel parking lots and such. I am thinking of dual tops with the Bronco for the added flexibility, but it really depends on the cost as well as the ease of removal and storage.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In general, yes a soft top is noisier(less sound proofing) and doesn’t hold in heat as well in winter(less insulation). But it’s mostly personally preference if you even notice those that much. Newer soft tops are a lot better, they aren’t usually as loose so don’t flap around, but you’ll still get a bit more road noise thru them. As for replacing them, soft tops are made of sturdy stuff so shouldn’t need replacing often. I’ve got a 2012 convertible with original top still looking new. My dad has a 1992 convertible with original top, had to replace the back window panel few years back but the top itself looks fine, slightly faded from the sun is all(hard top would fade too).
The benefit for soft tops is the ease of dropping the top and having it there with you if you want to put it up again. If you go drive somewhere you can close up when you get there rather than having the top at home, or if it suddenly starts raining just put the top up(sure waterproof interior is an option for the bronco, but even if you get that do you really wanna be driving in a downpour getting soaked). If money isn’t an issue the best route is to get both, put hard on at end of fall and leave it on for winter months when you likely won’t be removing it and will hold heat a tad better, then soft top come spring thru the summer. But really I see no issue in just one or the other, just comes to preference. If you’re going to remove and replace the top often it’s more work for the hard top. If you’re not going to take it off that often then not much benefit to the soft top. My convertible stays in a garage now so I mostly leave the soft top down all the time, but it’s nice to have if I get caught in the rain or go somewhere I can’t garage it I can just raise the top. A hard top would be sitting at home.

Sponsored

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Since I live in the NE, I do have winter to contend with. Are the soft tops noticeably less insulated? Does it get really noisy during windy weather? On the flip side, are the hard tops noticeably warmer because they're under the rays of the sun and the metal/plastic absorb the heat? Do the soft tops need to be replaced every few years due to rips and tears from use?
Hard Top would be preferable as I will be opting for it as well due to the Weather conditions in Winter. It would be easy to clean the snow or ice off it, also the NVH, Heating with all the other Factors where hard Top would be like a Helmet on your Head.

But Hard Top comes with a Price as it an Option and not a Standard Equipment.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll echo what everyone has said. I’ve got three different soft tops for my Jeep (full soft top, bikini, strapless bikini/tonneau), soft doors and hard doors. The soft tops stretch and shrink with temperature. Perfect sealing is up to how well the operator puts it back on. They can flap in the breeze, plastic windows can glaze over if you use the wrong cleaner.

With that, the soft top is much more friendly to changing conditions and I deal with all of the other stuff as it’s not my daily.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get all four seasons here so will be happy with the 2DR hard top and probably add a Bimini shade or mesh for the summer.

Related to keeping out the cold in winter in your area, I assume hard tops would generally be better at holding in interior generated heat too (and the A/C as well when needed.)

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the modular hard top is easy to remove, that is probably the way I go. I did the soft top on the Jeep thing and while fun, lots of drawbacks mentioned.
Speaking of the soft tops, do they stow somewhere or just come completely off?

Sponsored

BerserkerDin

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bishi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was opting for the hardtop as well. Just a question tho; Ive seen people on here say that you can store the hardtop in the bronco while driving? But also have heard people say that they'll leave it at home. Where would they be stored in the back? Is there enough space for that?

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was opting for the hardtop as well. Just a question tho; Ive seen people on here say that you can store the hardtop in the bronco while driving? But also have heard people say that they'll leave it at home. Where would they be stored in the back? Is there enough space for that?
They rear part is too big to store in the vehicle. The front (or middle) single piece might fit in the back. On the 4dr the two piece front would. Though not likely if the doors are off too.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IIRC, the front panels can be stowed in the back, but not the rear clamshell. Still waiting for confirmation if the rear side window panels are removeable, as that might have an impact.

Some of this will also depend on how good the seals are between the hard top panels. Hopefully leaks will not be a problem.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Pros:
Can drop the top and go, and have it with you when it starts raining or gets too hot
Is not as insulated so stays a little cooler inside when you get back in after being parked on a hot sunny day and cools as little faster

Cons:
Wind and tire noise - eve worse with a roof rack (if you can even mount one) or cage
Doesn’t get as cold or as warm when running A/C or heat
Security (convertible owners get used to this)
Windows scratch up over time (though mine have lasted being on for 1/2 of 12 years)

If the two door came with dual top, I’d get that option or a hard top to start with

Hoping Bestop comes out with a Trektop for the two door

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 4 door JKUR with a hard top. When we purchased, we also bought a BestTop Trektop Twill. I run the hard top all winter in CO and the soft top all summer when we are on the trails. The soft top is a little louder than the hard top but the twill is substantially quieter than the vinyl tops I have ridden with. The reason I am posting this is because a bet that BestTop is already working on options for the Bronco. I will add that after three years, I noticed I had a couple of broken teeth on my back window. I sent BestTop a message to inquire about a replacement and they sent me a new rear window no questions asked. Great quality and customer service. I anticipate having both tops for my Bronco too. I will be getting a 2 door.

I also have a hoist in the top of the garage to remove and store my hard top for the summer. I you only have a hard top, this would be the best way to remove if for the day/week and be able to safely put it back on quickly. I am hoping that it will work for the Bronco hard top. I may just have to modify the frame/hook setup to accommodate it.
Sponsored