Sponsored

Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top?

OP
OP

max6spd

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Bronco Owner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A lot of great feedback. Thanks guys. I think the decision to get a hard too makes the most sense. Ii’ll get that wrapped into financing anyway. Can always get something aftermarket if I’m jonesing for something like a convertible during a nice fall drive in the mountains.
Sponsored

highonthedesert

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just to point out, only way it’d really be easier on new broncos hard top is if you completely remove the spare tire and third brake light. Otherwise you still have to open the tailgate before opening the swing up(they block the swing up top piece).

Also, are top cutting vandals actually a thing in some places? Honestly haven’t known anybody who’s soft tops been slashed unless it was a pissed off ex or girlfriend they cheated on.

And the only reason that really matters there is 10.
Hard top and soft top both need the gate opened and swung out of the way – pretty much a given with a rear tire mounted there. Once the gate is open, the hard top glass just swings up. Soft top rear window is a pain to open, at least on the Wrangler – unclipping, unzipping, pulling, rolling up, securing with a strap. Maybe Ford will make it easier on the Bronco.

Usually the soft tops are slashed for theft, and leaving the doors unlocked doesn't always help. Either way, you consign yourself to never leaving valuables inside that don't fit in a mounted lock box.

salmon homes

Outer Banks
First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla :(
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi,

I have never owned a Jeep or any other off road vehicle before. Can someone explain the benefits of a soft-top and hard-top? I have reserved the Outer Banks model and I am trying to decide wether I should upgrade to a hard-top as I have reserved the 4-door model (soft-top standard).

Also, I will be using the vehicle on a daily basis and will not be doing much heavy duty off-roading. I am going on a few trails and to the beach/sand for sure, but that's about the extent of it. With that being said, what do you guys think about the 4-cylinder engine? Will it be enough power or should I upgrade to the 6-cylinder? I should also mention that I am definitely getting the Sasquatch package. Thank you very much for your input!

All the best,
Guillermo M. Salmon

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never owned a Jeep or any other off road vehicle before. Can someone explain the benefits of a soft-top and hard-top?
Two benefits for a soft top. 1. "lowerable" on the trail 2. no chance of damage when body is twisting offroad.

Benefit of hard top 1. quieter 2. security.

I've been running just a soft top for 12 years but I live in the middle of nowhere. If I lived around people a hard top is required. I'll be getting both this time.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just on the theft side of things people keep bringing up, it’s really no more difficult and actually much quicker to break a window than cut through the thick material the soft tops made of, even if the windows are plastic they’re still rather thick and take a bit of work to make a hole large enough to get in. And then would still have to climb through that hole. Only benefit to a thief is less noise, but if it’s just something you left on the seat they want noise won’t bother then, simple smash window grab and run is easier than cutting a top up. Even with a hard top I wouldn’t leave anything out in the open that would attract a thief’s attention. Heck if the weathers nice I usually leave the top on my convertible down and just roll windows up and lock doors. If they wanna crawl in there’s nothing I leave worth stealing and if they’ve got the skill to steal the car a top wouldn’t stop them, soft or hard.
Or, you can just unzip the window

Sponsored

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Wrangler in New England using hard top in winter. First/Last sunny days around winter I remove the freedom tops.

mid April-end September I have a bimini top rolled and strapped on the back roll bar, tonno cover and quick attach/detach windstopper window.

July-August need a sun shade like Dirtydog...

Following pic would be on a rainy summer day...

Ford Bronco Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top? C56FEAA1-EA6D-45DF-94DE-BE7536836413

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm really hoping the modular hard top doesn't squeak and make wind noise. Trail driving is great but it always seems it's a long road trip to get there.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hard top and soft top both need the gate opened and swung out of the way – pretty much a given with a rear tire mounted there. Once the gate is open, the hard top glass just swings up. Soft top rear window is a pain to open, at least on the Wrangler – unclipping, unzipping, pulling, rolling up, securing with a strap. Maybe Ford will make it easier on the Bronco.

Usually the soft tops are slashed for theft, and leaving the doors unlocked doesn't always help. Either way, you consign yourself to never leaving valuables inside that don't fit in a mounted lock box.
I assumed ya meant trying to raise the back glass without opening the tailgate as easy access to just reach in the back. But I get your point.

And as I said before, a window ain’t any harder to smash so I don’t leave valuables laying out in any vehicle, removable top or not. No temptation to spot, lot less likely for anything to happen to start with. So I’m not consigned to anything different for a soft top.
My dads old neighborhood had some car breakins going for awhile. Mostly just going thru any vehicles they found were unlocked, but a few windows got smashed on locked vehicles too if they could see something worth the risk. Neighbors on both sides of him had cars gone thru, and one a few houses up had windows smashed. Don’t know of any softops getting slashed though and quite a few convertibles and soft top wranglers in that neighborhood. Course that’s just one instance in a single neighborhood, but had a lot more smashed windows than slashed tops.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Soft top pros....
-Easy to take off
-Cheaper to replace

Soft top cons....
-Simple for thieves to cut, steal and run
-Much more noisey than a hard top
-Windows will eventually deteriorate and be hard to see through
-More chance of leaks

KindaOrange

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None... hurry up Ford!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In general, yes a soft top is noisier(less sound proofing) and doesn’t hold in heat as well in winter(less insulation). But it’s mostly personally preference if you even notice those that much. Newer soft tops are a lot better, they aren’t usually as loose so don’t flap around, but you’ll still get a bit more road noise thru them. As for replacing them, soft tops are made of sturdy stuff so shouldn’t need replacing often. I’ve got a 2012 convertible with original top still looking new. My dad has a 1992 convertible with original top, had to replace the back window panel few years back but the top itself looks fine, slightly faded from the sun is all(hard top would fade too).
The benefit for soft tops is the ease of dropping the top and having it there with you if you want to put it up again. If you go drive somewhere you can close up when you get there rather than having the top at home, or if it suddenly starts raining just put the top up(sure waterproof interior is an option for the bronco, but even if you get that do you really wanna be driving in a downpour getting soaked). If money isn’t an issue the best route is to get both, put hard on at end of fall and leave it on for winter months when you likely won’t be removing it and will hold heat a tad better, then soft top come spring thru the summer. But really I see no issue in just one or the other, just comes to preference. If you’re going to remove and replace the top often it’s more work for the hard top. If you’re not going to take it off that often then not much benefit to the soft top. My convertible stays in a garage now so I mostly leave the soft top down all the time, but it’s nice to have if I get caught in the rain or go somewhere I can’t garage it I can just raise the top. A hard top would be sitting at home.
This is quite helpful. Thank You!

Sponsored

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soft top pros: Less expensive, easier to take off.
Soft top cons: Things inside the vehicle are more prone to theft, doesn't insulate as well, higher road noise, has to be replaced over time

Hard top pros: less road noise, better insulated, better security
Hard top cons: more expensive, harder to remove, more expensive
This is it in a nutshell. I've owned both hard and soft top Wranglers. The one thing to keep in mind is your passengers. If it's you 99% of the the time and/or you listen to music often, either top is fine. If you're transporting a spouse and kids often on the highway and wanting to have conversations, the soft top (up) is a less attractive option.

One other thing I didn't like about soft tops was in the winter, the snow and road grime clings to the back window. No rear wiper means you're either dealing with a window that is always dirty or cleaning it often.

With hard tops, if you're going to remove it they need somewhere to be stored and you may need help getting it off. There are solutions, but it is time consuming vs folding back a soft top.

My current set up with my 4 door Wrangler is a hardtop with the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop which is a soft top over the driver and front passenger. I get the security and other benefits of a hard top with the quick open air option, although somewhat limited, of a soft top. Ford has shown this option at the Employee Event at Holly Oaks on a 4 door Bronco.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have 2 JKs, both have a hard and soft top. I’m in Massachusetts so I have to deal with all sorts of weather. I prefer the soft tops, I don’t notice any difference in temperature or noise between the two. My 2 door hard top hasn’t been on in 3 years and I will probably just sell it. Only thing I like better about the hard top is that the windows are easier to clean and see through.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was absolutely convinced I HAD to have a hard top. Can any modern soft top Jeep owners or Mustang Convertible owners offer up what It’s like to own a soft top these days? I have visions in my head of the Soft plastic windows lacking visibility at best and burning brown in the desert sun at worst. Summer lasts six months out of the year. Sometimes hunting season qualifies as winter. The remaining six months out of the year amount to chilly or warm versions of Fall and Spring. The soft top is starting to grow on me. Have I completely lost my mind?

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was absolutely convinced I HAD to have a hard top. Can any modern soft top Jeep owners or Mustang Convertible owners offer up what It’s like to own a soft top these days? I have visions in my head of the Soft plastic windows lacking visibility at best and burning brown in the desert sun at worst. Summer lasts six months out of the year. Sometimes hunting season qualifies as winter. The remaining six months out of the year amount to chilly or warm versions of Fall and Spring. The soft top is starting to grow on me. Have I completely lost my mind?
I ran my JKU in FL for the last 7 years with the Premium hard top. These are not the tops of yester-year. It was very durable and I had no issues with leaks. I am hoping that Bronco's top is at least comparable to the JKU's Premium top. It is a true rag top and is thicker than the standard top. I've had both and the Premium top was much nicer. In the JKU I had not issues with the back passengers being too hot or cold.

PRO:
Easier to go full top down
Faster to put up if caught in bad weather
Can fold front back with nothing to store
Can take sides AND back window out

CON:
Not as quiet as the hard top
Windows prone to scratching

I will be sticking with the soft top. We like the flexibility it provides and I believe the ease of use lends us to put the top down more. I hardly ever see Jeepers around here with the hard top freedom panels off.
Sponsored