First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Problem is stainless bolts galling the threads on installation. Only way to get those suckers out is to drill the bolt out.
I don’t think they’re stainless.
Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I would warn some folks in case they want to do this. Please don't do what I did.

About 7 months back, I removed all five beauty rings from my 2Dr Badlands (33" Optional Wheels).

I took them off to plastidip the rings to see what the color would look like if they were straight black, which I ended up loving.

The problem was the damn bolts were awful to remove. Several were horribly cross-threaded. Just don't remove them. I stripped two screws, and two of them were "supposedly" not screwed in correctly onto one of the wheels when I re-installed the beauty rings (even though I had the proper bit/torque wrench, etc. (and Ford won't fix them under warranty).

The dealer needs 18 new screws and a NEW WHEEL to fix it for a whopping $3500! Which I laughed at. Anyways, I wanted to get new wheels one day, so - I guess that day is today - but don't mess with them. I still feel the threads were done poorly by the manufacturer, which shouldn't fall on the customer to replace. Removing beauty rings should not be something this challenging for any consumer. But because I pastidipped them and did it myself, I am at fault. Even though several of the bolts were obviously cross-threaded, and poorly constructed.

Anyways, save yourself the trouble. Don't remove them. I'm keeping mine as is, missing a screw, etc. But that was a painful lesson to learn. I'm still calling Ford to raise hell on the threading issue, but I doubt I will have much luck.

View attachment 439304
There was another thread about this awhile back. Same issues. Don't think these are really bead lock tires.

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same problem on two bolts from my Sasquatch beauty rings when I removed all five for powder coating. Luckily I was able to remove and reinstall them, but I have no plans to remove those rings ever again.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Took mine off to paint. Zero issues whatsoever, for what it’s worth. Did it by hand to ensure nothing cross threaded. Was warned against using an impact. I also took the time to remove the yellow factory thread lock and blow out any dried pieces after I removed the bolts.
What’s your build date please?

Sponsored

alancorman1

Badlands
First Name
Corman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the silver rings. I bought a set of Wildtrak wheels. Instead of remounting tires I removed all rings and swapped silver for black. I had to remount the spare after stripping one bolt. Like a previous post said, I feel I got lucky and will never touch these bolts again.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the bright side that Plasti dipped ring looks great lol

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Removed my beauty rings and had them powder coated. No issues removing the bolts or reinstalling. Broke the bolts loose by hand with a ratchet.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Chinese aluminum wheels, and steel metric screws (which don't have as good a thread depth as SAE) are a recipe for galling, binding, and cross-threading.

If it were mine, I'd drill out the messed up ones and install helicoils. Long term, that will be much more secure than directly threaded into the aluminum anyway.

Sponsored

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chinese aluminum wheels, and steel metric screws (which don't have as good a thread depth as SAE) are a recipe for galling, binding, and cross-threading.

If it were mine, I'd drill out the messed up ones and install helicoils. Long term, that will be much more secure than directly threaded into the aluminum anyway.
Really the only actual fix in my experience

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm setting up a meet with another member to swap my black rings for some silver ones.

We're talking about actually just swapping the entire wheel, tire and all, because of this very issue!

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
Expecting delivery next week, bought a set of black rings to swap on. You guys have me thinking about maybe waiting. I want to at least drive this bad boy a bit before having to deal with any of these issues.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
First, thanks for the warning to the rest of us. I have read other posts on this and the challenge removing the bolts. I was thinking to paint my rings black too but no, not right now knowing what I could run into.

The issue is probably permanent thread locker was used during assembly. This would lessen the risk of the bolts coming loose, the ring falling off creating possibly a road hazard.

If you do run into this problem, it is not that difficult to drill the bolts out and re-tap. Use very sharp drills, make sure they are in the center of the screw, drill to minor diameter of the thread and re-tap. If the threads get messed up or cross threaded, you can always drill and tap larger and use a threaded insert with original inner thread to match stock screw threads. Loctite the threaded insert in and it's never coming out. Just get new screws. I have drilled and tapped so many times. I have never had to use a threaded insert, I have been always been able salvage the original threads so far. It can be difficult if the screw/bolt is hardened, just patience and a little time but no panic and you don't have to bring the wheel to a machinist.
Sponsored