Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150, 1969 U14 EB, 1969 U15 EB
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i doubt it. What metal is used in these plates that stop the drill? Perhaps the metal gets so warm that a fire starts….that would be interesting and cut down on repeat offenders.
It's a deterrent hopefully. On video you can see them checking all the vehicles around the Bronco. Bronco was the easiest target being lifted and having a plastic tank.
Sponsored

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It used to be that people believed that the punishment should fit the crime.
Having spent 32 in law enforcement, I can flatly state that line hasn't been relevant for quite some time. And that's because the concept of "justice" has been lost over the years. Crime does pay, because there are often little to no consequences.

Suspects quite often turn property crimes into crimes against persons when they are confronted or worry they might get caught. I suppose the prevent thought these days is, if you can afford to buy a Bronco or fill it with gas, you should let some "less fortunate" bastard take your shit without a fight.

Time use to be, actions had consequences. But, times have changed.

Catalytic converter thefts have gone thru the roof, and now it's gas. I guess you are only safe if you have an EV, which have/need neither...

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Question: wouldn't the drilling cause sparks? Are the tanks metal?
Also they drill the side so the gas doesn't run into the drill

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm thinking a motion sensor hooked to bear mace underneath the Bronco. Or at least hooked to some really loud air horns. Don't want to mace a kid fetching their ball.
Where I am in Orange County we have a lot of rehab houses so we end up with a lot of drug addicts. There is a steady parade of people trolling the neighborhoods at night looking for packages, bikes kids left out, and checking car handles/breaking windows.

On the Ring app, I saw a man with a work truck who installed a motion activated sprinkler. He says he doesn't keep any tools in it anymore but had to put in the sprinkler to stop getting his windows broken. It sure sent the person scrambling.

Another little fun thing, I have started to see open boxes on the sidewalk filled with dog poop. People have been leaving them out on their porches and the pirates dump them.

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess you are only safe if you have an EV, which have/need neither...
Just wait until they figure out how to pilfer all the copper in EVs.

Hello from station 31 🙃

Where I am in Orange County we have a lot of rehab houses so we end up with a lot of drug addicts. There is a steady parade of people trolling the neighborhoods at night looking for packages, bikes kids left out, and checking car handles/breaking windows.
They got me a couple months ago. I moved my Bronco for the cable guy and in my rush I forgot to hit lock. I shit you not 10 minutes later dude walks up my driveway and steals my parking card and a blank RFID card that I left inside the covered center console.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just wait until they figure out how to pilfer all the copper in EVs.

Hello from station 31 🙃

They got me a couple months ago. I moved my Bronco for the cable guy and in my rush I forgot to hit lock. I shit you not 10 minutes later dude walks up my driveway and steals my parking card and a blank RFID card that I left inside the covered center console.
So far I have only had a suit jacket stolen (broke a window in my old POS Subaru to get it) and a porch pirate opened a delivery box with some magnets on my porch but decided not to take it.

I thought taking a suit jacket was the lamest theft ever but a blank RFID card is the new leader.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having spent 32 in law enforcement, I can flatly state that line hasn't been relevant for quite some time. And that's because the concept of "justice" has been lost over the years. Crime does pay, because there are often little to no consequences.

Suspects quite often turn property crimes into crimes against persons when they are confronted or worry they might get caught. I suppose the prevent thought these days is, if you can afford to buy a Bronco or fill it with gas, you should let some "less fortunate" bastard take your shit without a fight.

Time use to be, actions had consequences. But, times have changed.

Catalytic converter thefts have gone thru the roof, and now it's gas. I guess you are only safe if you have an EV, which have/need neither...
I get that people put a lot of value on their cars. I'm also really looking forward to my bronco, but I wouldn't kill anyone over a minor crime. Geeze it's an eye for eye not death for an eye.

You know it's funny, I remember getting a briefing on the middle east before going to Iraq and one of the things they told us was how some middle east countries would chop off a hand or fingers for stealing. This info was also in the news and I remember at the time folks thought this was a bit barbaric but now we have Americans who think stealing should be a death sentence.

Last edited:

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know it's funny, I remember getting a briefing on the middle east before going to Iraq and of the things they told us was how some middle east countries would chop off a hand or fingers for stealing. This info was also in the news and I remember at the time folks thought this was a bit barbaric but now we have Americans who think stealing should be a death sentence.
I think there is definitely fatigue over "the resolving door of justice". Working patrol, I arrested the same people over and over. Same thing as a detective. My last assignment was as the Watch Sergeant at the largest jail in the US of A, and I saw the same faces in and our of there on a disappointingly regular basis.

Individuals who have adopted "a life of crime" are rarely reformed (it does happen, but not nearly as frequently as our friends in the media would have us believe). All sorts of "excuses" have been developed and accepted over the years to relieve people from responsibility for their own actions.

I think it's an over-generalization to state Americans think a death sentence is appropriate for a property crime. I doubt few people believe that. However, I can't tell you how many times a simple misdemeanor property crime evolves into a felony assault based on the suspect refusing to accept responsibility for their actions when confronted (especially by authority). And again, today's mindset is to look at everyone's actions EXCEPT the suspect.

There is a saying about doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting the result to change. Sadly, that is where we find ourselves these days... it's insanity.

Sponsored

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One solution is to drive a car with a small fuel tank. Thieves are not going to waste their time for a few gallons.
half-car-wheels.gif
*laughs in 2-door* not that the run of the mill idiot doing this will know of our short comings.

Doesn't the BD and Badlands come with plates covering the gas tank? As many times as I've looked underneath these things I e never looked past the front lol.
BD, BL, and all 2 doors from what I understand.

so, overall +2 for the 2 door

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think there is definitely fatigue over "the resolving door of justice". Working patrol, I arrested the same people over and over. Same thing as a detective. My last assignment was as the Watch Sergeant at the largest jail in the US of A, and I saw the same faces in and our of there on a disappointingly regular basis.

Individuals who have adopted "a life of crime" are rarely reformed (it does happen, but not nearly as frequently as our friends in the media would have us believe). All sorts of "excuses" have been developed and accepted over the years to relieve people from responsibility for their own actions.

I think it's an over-generalization to state Americans think a death sentence is appropriate for a property crime. I doubt few people believe that. However, I can't tell you how many times a simple misdemeanor property crime evolves into a felony assault based on the suspect refusing to accept responsibility for their actions when confronted (especially by authority). And again, today's mindset is to look at everyone's actions EXCEPT the suspect.

There is a saying about doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting the result to change. Sadly, that is where we find ourselves these days... it's insanity.
Nailed it!!!

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's a deterrent hopefully. On video you can see them checking all the vehicles around the Bronco. Bronco was the easiest target being lifted and having a plastic tank.
No offense, that’s not how it works. If they are under the truck in the middle of the night, they WILL drill. Long story short, I own a Bronco because someone stole the catalytic converters off my truck. Went through the skid plates and hit the tranny as well doing $10k damage. once they are under there, in the middle of the night, they will drill as going car to car opens them up to be caught.

trust me, I hope you are right, but I don’t think so.

OP
OP
Jwredneck

Jwredneck

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150, 1969 U14 EB, 1969 U15 EB
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No offense, that’s not how it works. If they are under the truck in the middle of the night, they WILL drill. Long story short, I own a Bronco because someone stole the catalytic converters off my truck. Went through the skid plates and hit the tranny as well doing $10k damage. once they are under there, in the middle of the night, they will drill as going car to car opens them up to be caught.

trust me, I hope you are right, but I don’t think so.
It's in the garage at night. This happened at 2:00pm. On video you can see them checking all the employee vehicles. Bronco was the easiest one out of all the cars and small Suv's.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.