Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Interpret this post merely as a PSA/caution, taking into account all the factors I'm going to list out. I'm not stating this as a definitive or widespread problem. I'm merely pointing out something that happened to me that others may not notice, and it's worth checking on every now and then.

Last weekend, I took a 4 day long trip through Death Valley, and between the hundreds of miles of washboard trails, technical crawls, and general highway driving, a pair of bolts on my spare tire mount bracket came loose.

Ford Bronco PSA: Spare Tire Holder Bolts Loosening Under Certain Circumstances messages_0 (2)

Now, here's the facts, any and all of which could play a role into why this happened for me:
  • I have a First edition, 4 door, with sasquatch (35") tires.
  • I have aftermarket wheels that have a 0-offset
  • I had a spare tire platform mounted to the spare, which held a pair of maxtrax extremes (total added weight for both: 37 lbs) for the entirety of my trip.
  • I had a Gazelle tent (33lbs) also on top of the platform for the trip out, and the trip back (mainly just highway miles, but some trails the first day). That means the total load on top of the spare was 70lbs at certain points. The wheel and tire are probably 85ish. So that's 145lbs total on the spare tire mount.
  • I have taken the spare tire mount off the tailgate on more than one occasion, however, I am sure I tightened the bolts fully when putting it back on.
  • I rode through hundreds of miles of vibrating washboard trails during this trip, which if we're being honest, could have shaken the seeds out of a watermelon.
  • Nothing appears damaged, and I've just tightened the bolts again.
All of this is just to warn that the loosening of these bolts IS POSSIBLE, and if you use your vehicle under these same or similar subset of these circumstances, it's a good idea to check every now and then that the bolts are tight and nothing wiggles loose.

I have used the spare tire platform with similar (or more) weight in the past with no problem (and will, again), but the trails I rode on previously weren't quite as long and rough as this past trip.

So be safe out there, keep an eye on things, and happy holidays all!
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did I see in a video somewhere that the spare tire holder is plastic? I wouldn't be surprised to see these become loose with the added weight and conditions you describe. Not sure what the carrier is rated for but 145lb is a lot to have hanging out there. If the carrier is in fact plastic it wouldn't take much to compress the plastic enough to allow the bolt to vibrate loose.

Any issues with the tailgate with all the added weight?

OP
OP
fronc

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Any issues with the tailgate with all the added weight?
No issues that I can tell. I'm very gentle opening/closing it, but nothing seems to have shifted. I don't run that weight all the time, only on trips.

Can you show us your spare tire accessories mount?
Of course! It's the American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform, and it's incredibly useful given the absence of a 4-door roof rack being available.

Ford Bronco PSA: Spare Tire Holder Bolts Loosening Under Certain Circumstances Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.09.09 AM

Seen here with a Roam 95L box, which was loaded to be about the same or less weight than my tent.

More photos on my IG at the link in my signature.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No issues that I can tell. I'm very gentle opening/closing it, but nothing seems to have shifted. I don't run that weight all the time, only on trips.

Of course! It's the American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform, and it's incredibly useful given the absence of a 4-door roof rack being available.

Ford Bronco PSA: Spare Tire Holder Bolts Loosening Under Certain Circumstances Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.09.09 AM

Seen here with a Roam 95L box, which was loaded to be about the same or less weight than my tent.

More photos on my IG at the link in my signature.
Thanks for this report, I was looking for info on these spare tire carriers and how the bronco handles the weight. This answer it. And nice pic!
Sponsored