Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have experience with the quadratec stand up bike rack? The price point makes me think it's on the low side of quality. Seems to be one of the few options for vehicles with a tailgate mounted spare. I've seen the kuat setup with swing out but that setup is $1200. I know usually you get what you pay for with racks but I'm thinking for local travel (<25 miles) with my bike the quadratec might do the trick.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-two-bike-platform-rack-2-Inch-receiver-hitch
Sponsored

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry no experience with Quadratec, but lots of experience with others. It may be a perfectly fine rack for your typical use. But one concern I have is the potential for wobbling. The description says it won’t wobble in the hitch, but the overall geometry around the swivel looks like it would wobble. In the video you could sort of see this. This may not be a big deal to you, I just don’t like my bike rattling around back there. Second thing, like you said, you get what you pay for. At that price point the rack consists of a lot of plastic parts. The video confirms that. My old Thule was a good rack, but eventually the parts started to deteriorate even though it was stored in my garage when not in use. I’m in the southwest, so that’s a big deal with all the sunshine. (To Thule’s credit, they seem to stock a lot of those parts.)

My experience with bike racks is that you have to use them for a while to get an idea of advantages and disadvantages. That’s a pretty cheap rack so it might be worth a try and if it doesn’t work out, then you’re not out too much. FYI, I bought a 1UP rack about 8 or 9 years ago. It’s a platform style like the Quadratec. They are pricey but extremely high quality. All metal, no plastic. I will have to adapt it a bit for Bronco use, but it will likely outlast the Bronco, and me now that I think about it. Good luck with your choice.

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can’t comment on quality, I have RockyMount, but I’m GUESSING the swing gate will not open completely as shown with bikes on the rack.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That price point seems about $100 lower than many of the racks available. It does give you limited access to the back with bikes loaded, at least enough to lift the rear window. But any hitch mounted rack will work as long as you use an extension. Better off with a swinging hitch to get the assembly out of way of the door when you open it.

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Currently have a thule, and realized this might end up being a problem and will need to buy a new rack to work with the swing out gate, this one seems to be fine but also looks like the extension is a little long and might wobble some, Currently need to look for something ad well but don't want to spend that kuat money lol

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And it depends on how much you have invested in your bikes. A <$400 rack may be just fine for <$400 bikes, but would you put a $4000 bike on that rack? Or a $12,500 Specialized S-works Enduro? If I had one of those it would ride up front in the passenger seat!

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no experience with their racks but, seeing it now, I like it some. Depends how much you want to be able to access the back.

Ive been looking for something. I need a rack that fits non-horizontal top tubes. I wanted a swing away design of some sort that doesn't break the bank.

Yakima has quite a few choices for trailer hitch racks. Ive never had any problems with yakima racks.

Some kind of setup using the Yakima BackSwing is most likely the route I'm going. It can be changed into a different track of you wanted. Their EXO line is real nice.

KKCSHIPP

Base
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I get the bronco I want to see if I can remove the front wheel and attach to a cross bar like in the back of my truck. Like JohnnyBronco said, I don't put my $3k bike on the back of my vehicle now. Sorry if that came off as snooty - really I'm just trying to protect the investment for when I trade up.

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have the yakima swing arm 4 bike hitch, i think MSRP is $599 on those but can get it cheaper during sales (REI, etc.). For me, i plan to ski and they have an attachment that allows you to convert to a ski/snowboard carrier as well, so i plan to pick that up this year after i take delivery.

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My current rack is an old Yakima swingdaddy. It worked great on an SUV with a hatch.
Ford Bronco Quadratec Bike Rack PXL_20211022_190051179

Ford Bronco Quadratec Bike Rack PXL_20211022_190237142

As you can see it is too high for the swing out to work. Additionally I did just get a new bike last year that is full suspension and is kind of a pain to get on this rack hence the reason to look at a standup platform type. This rack still gets the job done just with a bunch of annoying limitations.

The new bike is a YT Izzo and I don't have any issues putting it on a rack in the back.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is one of those cases where I angle towards the companies that make bike accessories, vs a company making a truck part. i.e. I'd lean towards a Thule/Yakima/Kuat long before I'd get one that said Ford or Jeep on it.

Rjcory

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
And it depends on how much you have invested in your bikes. A <$400 rack may be just fine for <$400 bikes, but would you put a $4000 bike on that rack? Or a $12,500 Specialized S-works Enduro? If I had one of those it would ride up front in the passenger seat!
I have been going through this problem. I own expensive bikes and always transport inside my Element (16 years old) After looking at all rack options, spare tire, hitch etc... I think I am going with this Saris Traps Triple Track Bike Rack for Trucks or Vans, 35-inch, Black (TRK33) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BT7HWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y029SE8WNWY4X1ARHCMF
My 4 door base 2.7 in carbo grey is being built next week

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just got an extension and setup my older Yakima rack this weekend. Worked great with a 7" extension. The pivot feature gets it out of the way when there is not a bike on it.

Ford Bronco Quadratec Bike Rack IMG_4060
Ford Bronco Quadratec Bike Rack IMG_4061

Ford Bronco Quadratec Bike Rack IMG_4062

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model