Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I haven't got a Bronco yet ... stuck on Ice Mountain - but something occurred to me the other day and I want to clarify how FordPass works.

Someone mentioned to me that apparently you can use your computer from home and click a few things and start up your Bronco remotely, and also locate it. So not that this will REALLY affect me, but it did occur to me... assuming your family has access to your FordPass, they can instantly locate your Bronco at any time? I heard they can even turn on the cameras and watch what you're doing or what's going on near your Bronco?

And assuming if this is Yes, and other vehicle brands/types/kinds have similar stuff ... Don't people see this as a problem? Think of all the cheating spouses that will be getting caught ... "Not only did I see your Bronco at her house, I watched on the cameras as you walked up to the door and then her kissing you goodbye afterwards..." or the people eating Fast Food/Junk Food and denying it or the people stopping at the liquor stores or drug neighborhoods or just having lied about where they went/what they did etc.. Especially if you double-down on it ... "So you didn't stop at McDonalds??" No way! "I watched on the cameras as you pulled the Bronco into the Drive-Thru... then I saw your car located in the parking lot for the next 30 minutes.." etc.

I'm not really concerned because in general I don't do any of that stuff but still , I guess it just skeezes me a little that it's possible. I am down with remote start, not sure that I need it from the computer and not the keyfob but whatever ... but the tracking and cameras from the computer, that is half-hilarious to me half-scary. Is that the way it works? Thanks!
Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you or a family have the Ford Pass app and are logged into it for the account activated and associated with that Bronco, then that person can use the FordPass app to show the location of the Bronco, can lock and unlock the doors, can start it (can't stop it if turned on using the in cabin push button with key in the cabin), and can review other status things like total mileage on Bronco, fuel level, miles of fuel left, oil life left and tire pressure. You can turn on or off Zone Lighting. You can be notified if a door is opened (Securialert). You cannot activate or view the cameras through the FordPass app. I have not tried but suspect there should be an option to turn off the location feature on the App (I'll need to look at that).

OP
OP
Ser Arthur Dayne

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks Hans. Like I said I'm not sweating it too much because I really don't get into much trouble, it just occurred to me, first - There are many of those that do ... and sometimes even a small lie can turn into a big problem... At least they can't use the cameras lol. Thanks again.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To gain access it also requires logging in, whether you enable the app to auto-log in or have your browser memorize your credentials. Otherwise, only those you share your credentials with can get into your Ford Pass account.

Due to its built-in 4G modem your Bronco is just one big tablet or phone on wheels. So whomever you would share your iphone location with you might consider sharing Bronco location and features....or not.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The end user stuff is nothing compared to what Ford or any of the other mfgrs. are allowed to get through the on board modem, is squat. They let it slip in a meeting couple years when the topic of, "why can't we (dealers) see where units are in shipment process (outside of the VV system)." Ford said they have the ability to see any vehicle with a modem (activated or not) at any time but don't want to offer or allow this because of battery draw concerns. Modules power up, vehicle in transport mode, happens enough times you run the risk of a dead battery in a holding lot or on a carrier.

The sweetener that allows them to get your data is the remote start, lock/unlock, VHR, location, phone as a key and would assume more goodies in the works like camera view security, theft alert/disable and other subscription services. I don't have any evidence but would not doubt they're keeping all of your phone data including texts, what you're listening to, driving data, mac addys of other phones seen in the vehicle all with the intention of using that data to sell to others or use for their own marketing purposes. The vehicle is your phone with more data points.

My biggest concern is security with both the data and vehicle control. If they can do mass OTA updates, it's a matter of time before it's hacked. Your brakes, engine, steering, safety systems are or going fly by wire. Can these systems be controlled remotely or are they completely insulated? Will a DA subpoena Ford for dash cam footage of a wreck that happened in front of you? Who has the ability to turn your cameras on or look at stored data?

I'm not implying this is happening or Ford is actually doing it. What I'm saying is these systems are no less safe from hacking than any other electronic device. If you go into it knowing this you choose the amount of risk or reward you're willing to live with. Don't care about any of these features? Pull fuse F20 and understand you'll be losing a bunch of tech features but won't be transmitting modem data out.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The connected features can be turned off so you won’t get caught with your side piece.
Sponsored