Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Can't find anything online about it, but is the manual transmission connected to the shifter via cable, or metal links? I've heard cable makes it feel really mushy and like a video game. Not sure if anyone knows.

Edit: just realized this is in the wrong section, not seeing a delete option though. Sorry bout that.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

From what I remember reading somewhere it's cable.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anyone have a cable manual? Is it good?

Sponsored

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cables. It’s not that bad though. Only cars that are still direct are muscle cars. Plus I’m hoping it will make a v8 transplant easier.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Cables. It’s not that bad though. Only cars that are still direct are muscle cars. Plus I’m hoping it will make a v8 transplant easier.
Ah okay good to hear, The only other manuals ive driven were a 2008 shelby gt and a 03 focus zx3, and i much preferred the focus manual vs the shelbys. Especially the clutch, It took me a lot longer to get used to it on the Shelby vs the zx3. Hoping the bronco is more like that focus haha :)

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was under the impression that it will be remotely shifted using rods like the much maligned MT-82 in the Mustangs?
Ford Bronco question about the manual. image1

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The new Aisin 6 speed in the JL/JLU/JT is cable actuated. I have heard that it shifts better than the NSG370 in the JKs and I've heard it shifts worse. I quite enjoyed my NSG370 equipped 2012 JK. I eventually put a B&M Sport shifter in it.

I hope that the MT-88 in the Bronco has decent shift feel. I have an older Kia Forte with a 5 speed manual. It sucks lol. I've replaced the worn rubber cable bushings with delrin bushings, removed the clutch delay valve and installed a short shifter all in an attempt to improve the shifting quality. It still sucks.

I still can't get over how phallic the shifter in the JLs look.
Ford Bronco question about the manual. 3DA4399D-C626-4888-9B4E-B1A44DF12BA9

giphy.gif

Sponsored

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone have a cable manual? Is it good?
If you were to drive a cable manual trans and non-cable back to back you'd probably notice a difference but it's not that big of a deal. It seems they've gotten a lot better as of 10 years ago or so. I don't recall having a bad experience test driving a manual car the last time I was shopping for a new car (2011-2012).

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new Aisin 6 speed in the JL/JLU/JT is cable actuated. I have heard that it shifts better than the NSG370 in the JKs and I've heard it shifts worse. I quite enjoyed my NSG370 equipped 2012 JK. I eventually put a B&M Sport shifter in it.

I hope that the MT-88 in the Bronco has decent shift feel. I have an older Kia Forte with a 5 speed manual. It sucks lol. I've replaced the worn rubber cable bushings with delrin bushings, removed the clutch delay valve and installed a short shifter all in an attempt to improve the shifting quality. It still sucks.

I still can't get over how phallic the shifter in the JLs look.
Ford Bronco question about the manual. giphy

I test drove a TJ with the old 6spd... God it was vague and awful, like short shift that bitch immediately.

After test driving a Manual GT, im overall confident in it, though the GT did need some shifter upgrades

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was under the impression that it will be remotely shifted using rods like the much maligned MT-82 in the Mustangs?
The Tremec TR-6060 (just an OEM T-56 Magnum) has the same remote shifter setup.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It isn't really a proper manual transmission unless 1st gear isn't synchronized and you're using shifting from the tree instead of the floor.

Shift by cable sounds silly, but has a few advantages. I still prefer unsynchronized transmissions for the challenge and joy of getting a smooth engagement that one time.
Sponsored