Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just moved into a newer home, only a couple of years old. After the move it was pretty late and I decided to take a shower around 11 pm. The water was only luke warm. We had run several loads of laundry prior to my shower so my first thought was all the hot water got used up. My sister wanted to also take a shower so o told her to wait a little while after I got done with mine. This morning she told me she waited until 2:30am to take a shower and the water was still luke warm. Any this morning I decided to take a look at the water heater and noticed some kind of timer plugged in to the wall outlet, then a power cable going to the water heater. Is this whatā€™s causing me to not have hot water late at night? Could it be something else? I attached a couple of pics so you can see the timer and where it leads to. It is an electric water heater. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ford Bronco Question about water heater. 27C7A14B-01A2-43B7-9CC4-3855C6FC611B

Ford Bronco Question about water heater. E10DDFEC-1E6E-4EEA-9368-9FF61DC63C97
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Electric or gas water heater? If it is gas, I would think your pilot light is out.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That Grundfos unit is a recirculating pump that is supposed to keep hot water recirculating thru your pipes so you donā€™t have to wait for hot water to reach your shower, etc. Why itā€™s on a timer I donā€™t know. Doubt itā€™s the cause of lack of hot water but would first take it off the timer.
Suspect your electrode ma6 be shot - they are life limited parts and reasonably easy to replace (hard part being draining the tank first).
Does the outflow pipe on top of heater feel hot to touch?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

electrode
heating element

At only a few years old, plausible, but not likely.

First thing is to check what the thermostat is set at ... almost guarantee that is the issue. They set them low at the factory because "liability is what makes the world go 'round".

Mine runs hot because I turned it up to like 125*, I forget exactly, but we do not have young children in the house anymore.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As mentioned , the pump is a recirc for instant hot water at the tap.
They put it on a timer so save electricity, it should start running right before you wake up and start your morning routine.

Newer ones are "smart" they can learn your routine and operate themselves accordingly... but the timer idea is fine also, but it is not the cause of the cool water.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's an electric water heater thermostat, it will be behind a cover.
Note the white temp setting dial.
Ford Bronco Question about water heater. 1674923020432

OP
OP
Docindahouze

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That Grundfos unit is a recirculating pump that is supposed to keep hot water recirculating thru your pipes so you donā€™t have to wait for hot water to reach your shower, etc. Why itā€™s on a timer I donā€™t know. Doubt itā€™s the cause of lack of hot water but would first take it off the timer.
Suspect your electrode ma6 be shot - they are life limited parts and reasonably easy to replace (hard part being draining the tank first).
Does the outflow pipe on top of heater feel hot to touch?
Itā€™s not hot hot, but I can definitely touch it and keep my hand there.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s not hot hot, but I can definitely touch it and keep my hand there.
As mentioned, thermostat is not allowing it to heat up enough... or bad heating element, see posts above.

I see one of the covers in your pic, the T-stat may be behind one of those.

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I missed the fact this heater is only a couple years old - makes a failed element/electrode unlikely. Iā€™m betting the previous home owner may have turned down the thermostat or clicked it to ā€œvacation ā€œ mode when they moved out to minimize power bill.

OP
OP
Docindahouze

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I missed the fact this heater is only a couple years old - makes a failed element/electrode unlikely. Iā€™m betting the previous home owner may have turned down the thermostat or clicked it to ā€œvacation ā€œ mode when they moved out to minimize power bill.
It was sitting vacant for a few months so itā€™s definitely a possibility. Iā€™ll see if I can get to the thermostat like yā€™all have mentioned.

gjptennis

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Subaru Outback, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agree with the above posts. When we bought our current house a few years ago, had same issue. Adjusted thermostat temp and all good since.
hope that is all it is OP. if not you can always turn your rig into overland use And include a shower - Will inspire the community!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, there is also a 2 pole electrical circuit breaker for the hot water in your electrical box. Much easier to turn off the circuit breaker than mess with the thermostat setting.

OP
OP
Docindahouze

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Agree with the above posts. When we bought our current house a few years ago, had same issue. Adjusted thermostat temp and all good since.
hope that is all it is OP. if not you can always turn your rig into overland use And include a shower - Will inspire the community!
I hope so too. And Iā€™ll be slowly building an overland rig anyway so double whammy. šŸ˜†
Sponsored