First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Bronco, Honda si, cj7, 68 Shelby,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone, I have always been fascinated with the people that take their rigs places where few people are brave enough to go. The video of the Broncos traveling the Rubicon was incredible and started me to wonder if any one of you would attempt (I’m thinking capability wise) to traverse a difficult trail, not necessarily the Rubicon but definitely not one for the beginner in a base four door Bronco that has been optioned, let’s say only with the Sasquatch, 2.7, auto and that’s it, no advanced 4x4 engagement, no trail assist, no trail-one pedal.

Also, while pretending, let’s add to the vehicle aftermarket undercarriage protection, sliders, upgraded bumpers and manual disconnects. I’m curious to hear if there is anything that you would consider a weak point (goat mode, lack of on demand 4x4, etc.) of the Base Bronco to keep you from attempting it?
Sponsored

elfshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used to do some medium difficulty rock crawling out in Arizona with my daily driver. A good driver can do a lot (not that I was a good one - I watched or rode with some amazing drivers though). I've also watched stock Jeeps do more than what you would think they can do if you've never been off-road before.

Really - the Base, with the Sasquatch and undercarriage protection could handle a good number of trails.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve wheeled my daily’s pretty regularly. I’ve put it some difficult spots, succeeding sometimes, failing others.
A Basesquatch gets you about 1/2 way through the novel, which isn’t a bad place to be starting from. With all the equipment on hand already, you’ve got a very capable rig right out of the box. At that point, it’s about trying it out and seeing if it’s enough. You can always improve on it if it needs more.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen people do some crazy rock crawling in 4 door sedans that I didn't think would make it. I swear the guys at Roadkill did something like that also. The Base Bronco is going to be a lot more capable than the average consumer will be expecting. Ford really did their homework here. I would however like to see videos on the trails where the Bronco got stuck and had to get helped out. I know it doesn't make the Bronco look good from a PR perspective, but I would like to see it's weaknesses as well as it's strengths on these trails.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to do some medium difficulty rock crawling out in Arizona with my daily driver. A good driver can do a lot (not that I was a good one - I watched or rode with some amazing drivers though). I've also watched stock Jeeps do more than what you would think they can do if you've never been off-road before.

Really - the Base, with the Sasquatch and undercarriage protection could handle a good number of trails.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! I guess I just needed some reassurance that if I switch to a base that I could ( with aftermarket support) build it and perhaps keep up with the group!

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t off road/ rock climb etc. when I watch the videos however, it reminds me of tryin to get someone out of snow they are stuck in, which is a common occurrence around here. I’ve seen tricked out lifted f150s stuck in snow and I’ve seen Honda Civic get through where you wouldn’t think a truck could get through. To me, its 80% driver. You can spend 20k extra rigging your vehicle for climbing over big rocks but if you aren’t good at spatial relations or can sense proper time to gas or go slow, all your extra money isn’t going to matter. I’d figure out how much help you need before spending money getting it

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good advice! I’m just taking a hard look at my wants and needs, for me, just dipping my big toe into overlanding (not camping) I’m thinking my best option is starting with the base Sasquatch build it up over the years as well as my skills and then perhaps move up to Badlands.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A good driver can do a lot ... I've also watched stock Jeeps do more than what you would think they can do if you've never been off-road before.
Yep and you don't have to always take the hardest line. A big key is not to go alone, safety in numbers. Just because you have a winch doesn't mean you can get yourself unstuck, you need something to anchor to. Sometimes that can be another vehicle when nothing is around. Also groups have more people to stack rocks if needed ;)
Yes some people will frown on stacking rocks, but sometimes it's necessary, just remember to unstack them when you pass through.
Start mild & get familiar / comfortable on how the vehicle moves around slides/ ect. Knowing your vehicle, being comfortable and confident go along way to improving your off hi-way driving adventures.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great, so you wouldn’t be intimidated by the lack of gadgetry and “rock crawl goat mode “ then? Hypothetically, would any of you be comfortable With being the group leader on a higher skill level trail in the Base I mentioned?

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! I guess I just needed some reassurance that if I switch to a base that I could ( with aftermarket support) build it and perhaps keep up with the group!
Well, sure you can build up a base Bronco to the point of comfort on rocks, but that's the case for any vehicle. Question is; how much time do you have? How much do you want to spend while also paying for your new vehicle?

You'd need a good deal of cash or credit on hand to take that BaseSquatch to a comfortable Crawler unless you do your own wrenching.

As long as you have at least a locker on one axle, a low speed transfer case (4L), you can build upon it. Upgraded tires, suspension strengthening and you can take on most trails. I've seen a Civic conversion out on a trail before, but it looked more like a car underneath and the guy just thought it would be different; he was correct.

Clearance, lift, and lockers, you can get through most trails at the moderate level. Advanced trails will require stronger axles, F&R lockers, stronger armor, 4L, etc

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, definitely makes sense. I’m getting more and more comfortable with my decision. I enjoy learning from everyone and getting their perspective!

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep and you don't have to always take the hardest line. A big key is not to go alone, safety in numbers. Just because you have a winch doesn't mean you can get yourself unstuck, you need something to anchor to. Sometimes that can be another vehicle when nothing is around. Also groups have more people to stack rocks if needed ;)
Yes some people will frown on stacking rocks, but sometimes it's necessary, just remember to unstack them when you pass through.
Start mild & get familiar / comfortable on how the vehicle moves around slides/ ect. Knowing your vehicle, being comfortable and confident go along way to improving your off hi-way driving adventures.
I made the mistake of telling my wife to get out and stack rocks once. Lol

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great, so you wouldn’t be intimidated by the lack of gadgetry and “rock crawl goat mode “ then? Hypothetically, would any of you be comfortable With being the group leader on a higher skill level trail in the Base I mentioned?
Never had it before. I think in someways it's a gimmick, but one that apparently works. I'm thinking It makes selections for you instead of you adjusting your driving style.