First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I’m stuck between choosing the 2.7l engine or the LUX package. I currently have a 4 dr OBX Sasquatch with cloth seats.

I really want the adaptive cruise control because I take a lot of road trips but I also want the more engine power.
I did test a 2.3l 4 dr Big bend non-sas and it did get moving. Any advice or opinions are appreciated. And unfortunately I cannot get both. Pushing my budget a bit here already ;)
Sponsored

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I’m stuck between choosing the 2.7l engine or the LUX package. I currently have a 4 dr OBX Sasquatch with cloth seats.

I really want the adaptive cruise control because I take a lot of road trips but I also want the more engine power.
I did test a 2.3l 4 dr Big bend non-sas and it did get moving. Any advice or opinions are appreciated. And unfortunately I cannot get both. Pushing my budget a bit here already ;)
I think Im confused, are you saying you have a reservation but no VIN yet and are pushed to 2022 or later? You may have some time to save some more money so you CAN get both?

Tmite

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have both and wouldn't wanna give up either but if I had too Id give up the 2.7. I just love the ACC and B & O sound system in a must have. Now, I would do that knowing the 2.3 gets after it.

OP
OP
Gavin39

Gavin39

Outer Banks
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think Im confused, are you saying you have a reservation but no VIN yet and are pushed to 2022 or later? You may have some time to save some more money so you CAN get both?
I am pushed to 2022 and ordering at the dealership this Wednesday. And technically I could do that but I don’t want to push my finances too hard.

OP
OP
Gavin39

Gavin39

Outer Banks
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have both and wouldn't wanna give up either but if I had too Id give up the 2.7. I just love the ACC and B & O sound system in a must have. Now, I would do that knowing the 2.3 gets after it.
I hate giving up either as well. But I feel like the ACC is just a godsend and the B&O will save me from installing an aftermarket sound system which can get pricey.

Sponsored

lmarchetti

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No OEM winch for LUX. So if you are hard core wheeling loose the LUX and get the 2.7. If you are doing mostly commuting and light offroad keep the LUX and get the 2.3, once you shift into 4L the power matters less anyway.

OP
OP
Gavin39

Gavin39

Outer Banks
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No OEM winch for LUX. So if you are hard core wheeling loose the LUX and get the 2.7. If you are doing mostly commuting and light offroad keep the LUX and get the 2.3, once you shift into 4L the power matters less anyway.
That’s a very good point! I love that thought process, I’m not an extreme off-roader and typically always have a buddy with me so I think a winch isn’t that important for me.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Replacing the speakers is easier than replacing the engine. And the ACC on my wife’s Lexus isn’t good enough for that to be a factor for me and I doubt Ford did ACC better than Lexus. So, I went with OB 2.7L Sasquatch High with the roast cloth. Did just fine with regular cruise control and the up or down buttons on a 4K mile road trip recently, but everyone is different. Personally, I was happy to have the significant extra torque while climbing mountains at highway speeds, but I’m sure the 2.3L would have been just fine.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a very good point! I love that thought process, I’m not an extreme off-roader and typically always have a buddy with me so I think a winch isn’t that important for me.
I got the lux and now I am waiting for an aftermarket winch solution. I absolutely love the ACC and wouldn't be without it. This is my third Ford with it and I dont think i could go back to highway driving without it. THE B&O sound system is good enough for what I want to do.

Sponsored

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7L all day long. I have both the Lux and the 2.7L on the Badlands. The bigger engine is quite nominal for a truck of this size and anything smaller is going to be inadequate. I don't say that because I have a "must be bigger to be better" mentality, my '03 TJ is up on 38s with all kinds of suspension mods and regeared but with a stock 185HP engine. It just happens to be a torquey little 4.0L inline 6 which is why it's still stock.

Don't sacrifice the engine. Going to the 2.3L is a major compromise, whereas giving up the Lux package for high or mid is just a handful of creature comforts.

OP
OP
Gavin39

Gavin39

Outer Banks
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2.7L all day long. I have both the Lux and the 2.7L on the Badlands. The bigger engine is quite nominal for a truck of this size and anything smaller is going to be inadequate. I don't say that because I have a "must be bigger to be better" mentality, my '03 TJ is up on 38s with all kinds of suspension mods and regeared but with a stock 185HP engine. It just happens to be a torquey little 4.0L inline 6 which is why it's still stock.

Don't sacrifice the engine. Going to the 2.3L is a major compromise, whereas giving up the Lux package for high or mid is just a handful of creature comforts.
This is my worry. I hate giving up power but the ACC is amazing for road trips and I know my bronco will be a road trip mobile. I wish I could buy the ACC separately

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3 in my Ranger Tremor and it's got plenty of power for what you need to do. You won't win any drag races but it'll move when you need it to do so. If you do the Ford Performance tuning, you'll get almost the same numbers as the base line 2.7L and for the Ranger, it can be done for well under a grand. I haven't seen it yet specifically for the Bronco, but I haven't looked.

Only real complaint is the turbo lag but what can ya do. Tuning can help here.

I would go Lux, personally. You can improve engine power but you'll waste a lot of time trying to add lux features peacemeal after market.

OP
OP
Gavin39

Gavin39

Outer Banks
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the 2.3 in my Ranger Tremor and it's got plenty of power for what you need to do. You won't win any drag races but it'll move when you need it to do so. If you do the Ford Performance tuning, you'll get almost the same numbers as the base line 2.7L and for the Ranger, it can be done for well under a grand. I haven't seen it yet specifically for the Bronco, but I haven't looked.

Only real complaint is the turbo lag but what can ya do. Tuning can help here.

I would go Lux, personally. You can improve engine power but you'll waste a lot of time trying to add lux features peacemeal after market.
This is my thought process too. Thank you for putting it into words and describing your experience. Means a lot!
Sponsored