First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, I hauled lots of lumber in my former JK, and drove plenty of miles with the rear glass sitting open, didn't seem to hurt a thing. No, not the ideal thing to do, but didn't have any problems.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really dont know to put this, so apologies if its in the wrong section... So essentially I saw that there was rear flip up glass on the bronco and that it looked like it locked up at 90 degrees or so. My question is that if I have longer items such as 2x4's or something of similiar length, will i be able to have it hang out the back where the rear glass is, or would driving break it when it is angled out? I know if I took of the top I could, but I really don't wanna take the top off for a lowes run, then put it back on when i unload everything. Im sure i can squeeze it in with the windows closed like I do in my focus, but it is not a fun experiance, and with a manual i suspect it would be near impossible. And with all the buttons in the regular sync focuses, a wood chip is begging to get lodged in one of them so they continue to rewind your current song, ask me how I know. :) I have never had any experience with the rear glass that angles up or anything, so I was hoping I could get some input from people who do.
In the past I drove a 73 bronco. On it you could leave the glass open with things hanging out.
if you drove like that on a dirt road the dust would get sucked in the open rear window.
Now I don't know if the new bronco will be like the EB but I would guess it would.

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Haha damn guys. I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. If you're going to spend 30-60k on a new vehicle and might want to make a few home depot runs, whats another $1000? I'd much rather that than busting out my $500+ back window. Like I said about tools, sure something else will work, but it's worth the time and effort and finished product to do it right

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping the glass will be relatively easy to just remove. If it's just a couple of bolts it should only take 2-3 minutes and some care to not drop the glass. I feel that's the safest. I had a work pickup with a topper on it and I drove around a field site (under 20 mph) with the topper open on a windy day. It bent the mounts and never closed properly after that. I REALLY don't want that to happen on the bronco. My 4runner has a rolldown back window which is ideal, it's not as good as a pickup but darn close and I've never had a problem hauling however much lumber I want either.
Not sure it will be that simple. You've got the rear wiper as well, so some wiring. At that point, think I'd rather just remove the clamshell entirely.

Realistically, there shouldn't be any problem leaving the glass up on the road. If you're really worried about it flapping about, I'd put some thick padding on top of the lumber, bring the glass down to that, and secure in place with bungie cords.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ha! That JK picture could have been me, except wrong color jeep. Yeah, sort of looks like a doofus, but it gets the job done. Never had any issues with the rear glass.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha damn guys. I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. If you're going to spend 30-60k on a new vehicle and might want to make a few home depot runs, whats another $1000? I'd much rather that than busting out my $500+ back window. Like I said about tools, sure something else will work, but it's worth the time and effort and finished product to do it right
Yeah OP, get the right tool. How bout getting an extra F-150. Store it in the backyard lol.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not sure it will be that simple. You've got the rear wiper as well, so some wiring. At that point, think I'd rather just remove the clamshell entirely.

Realistically, there shouldn't be any problem leaving the glass up on the road. If you're really worried about it flapping about, I'd put some thick padding on top of the lumber, bring the glass down to that, and secure in place with bungie cords.
Right and the glass probably has a defroster as well.. hadn't thought of that stuff. I hope you guys are right about just leaving it up but it seems the wrangler people have had plenty of time to troubleshoot. Lowes is only a couple city miles down the road from me so I wouldn't be going fast anyway. Removing the whole clamshell isn't out the option either. I certainly want to be doing a lot of topless driving. :cool:

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hahaha in all seriousness everybody thanks for all the advice/recomendations. I'm definitely eyeballing a trailer in general, just nervous about towing and all that comes with that. Eventually I'm gonna have to get one, but it is reassuring to know that the window trick will work in the meantime.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a camper shell on my Tacoma, when ever I have something longer that needs to hang out I close the tail gate, put a blanket on it, lay my stuff in, then wrap the blanket around to the top of what I transport and use a bungie cord to hold the glass down. Never had an issue in 17 years. The bronco has the spare on the back, which might complicate things a bit, but It's still try the same approach. Just don't go blasting down the freeway or hitting trails like that :-D
Alternatively you could leave the rear open and fold the glass down, then just just some straps to get the rear door tied to what ever lumber or thing you're transporting so it doesn't swing around. And have a red flag of some sort at the end of you cargo. Of course, youse the tied down spots in the rear to tie things down well and don't transport something that sticks out more than maybe a1/3 of it's total length.
Some really long things I had to open the little window in the back of the cab and the camper shell to stick it all the way to the cabin, in the Bronco you can just fold down the seats in back and move the passenger seat all the way forward.
For regular stuff you might buy you should be fine, might be a bit of work with straps and bungies, but ok. Anything larger I'd just get delivered.
I never drove with the rear window just up, was concerned the wind might push it down (or a pothole etc) and coming slamming down on a couple 2/4 would probably not be healthy for it.

Sponsored

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trailers aren't too hard so long as you can see the corners of the trailer in your rear camera or window when backing up. Thankfully big box hardware stores have massive parking lots so you just take up 10 spaces and the edge of the low and no one cares. Just go slow and pay attention you'll be fine. The bronco is short enough that adding a small 5x8 trailer shouldn`t be bad.

I really wish I had somewhere to store a trailer because that is definitely the best solution.

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey I completely apologize, apparently I've touched a nerve with more than a few you guys. I know everyone has different situations. Personally, I've always had multiple vehicles to suit my needs. There's not a car or truck on the road that can be economical for my commute and still haul hay and firewood around on the weekends. And neither one of those can be clean enough to impress a hot new date on Saturday night. The little trailer idea was just trying to help answer a question

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey I completely apologize, apparently I've touched a nerve with more than a few you guys. I know everyone has different situations. Personally, I've always had multiple vehicles to suit my needs. There's not a car or truck on the road that can be economical for my commute and still haul hay and firewood around on the weekends. And neither one of those can be clean enough to impress a hot new date on Saturday night. The little trailer idea was just trying to help answer a question
No reason to apologize lol. It's a much better way of carrying lumber, and would be useful for other stuff too, like mulch hauling equipment on, etc. Assuming I can find the room it will most likely be the route I'm going once I can find a nice piece of property.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am confused and new to a topless vehicle, are people opposed to a rack? All things go on the rack in the FJ, but it's top doesn't remove, so maybe that is the reason, also it holds more.

But I will still have a rack on this truck. They seem pretty easy to take on and off, you can still remove at least the first two panels with it on and it will easily hold 2x4s with the window closed and snug.....

I must be missing something or people just don't like the rack...
Sponsored