Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi all, so I have been doing a ton of research on this tire, and they seem to very good. Having never gone off road before, except when I took my focus down an abandoned logging road by accident one time (had to reverse out), is a 32" (31.6" according to generals website) enough for off road? I'm not talking any of the crazy rock crawling thats out west or anything similiar to that, but at least: fire roads, logging roads, power line trails, sand dunes, and moderate trails. I would love to do Drummond Island within the next couple years, and I believe the bronco would be able to handle those trails hopefully, am I wrong in thinking that? I've done a lot of looking online, and it seems more to be about picking your line than how big your tires are or how much ground clearance you have. With the base having 8.4 inches of ground clearance, Id imagine the BD having around 9.5-10? Obviously I've been looking at sasquatch, but would probably have to downgrade to base, but I really don't wanna miss out on the MGV interior and washout floor, plus the mid package is a nice bonus. Just wondering what you guys think about 32" tires and what are your experiences if you have used them. Unfortunatly, none of my family and friends have any more experiance of road than I do, so they are not sure either. Owning a bronco is going be a learning experience for me, but a fun one! Definitely looking at joining an off road club soon also.
Sponsored

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think that these tires will be very capable and will work well for what you described. The main factor that I see is how you approach your journeys. If you research your route and avoid extreme terrain you should be fine. My plan is to drive them and see how they perform and what the Bronco needs. Learning the vehicle is so important and as of now all the driving impressions I have seen are from professional drivers. Once we begin to see journalist reviews it may help a bit, but they will probably be driving the BL or a Squatched version, so always take that into account. I think that the BD will be very capable and it is my choice for doing similar adventures. My off road experience has been in a military HUMVEE in all type of terrain, so not a direct comparison but it has taught me the importance of using my brain and not my ego. Hope this helps.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi all, so I have been doing a ton of research on this tire, and they seem to very good. Having never gone off road before, except when I took my focus down an abandoned logging road by accident one time (had to reverse out), is a 32" (31.6" according to generals website) enough for off road? I'm not talking any of the crazy rock crawling thats out west or anything similiar to that, but at least: fire roads, logging roads, power line trails, sand dunes, and moderate trails. I would love to do Drummond Island within the next couple years, and I believe the bronco would be able to handle those trails hopefully, am I wrong in thinking that? I've done a lot of looking online, and it seems more to be about picking your line than how big your tires are or how much ground clearance you have. With the base having 8.4 inches of ground clearance, Id imagine the BD having around 9.5-10? Obviously I've been looking at sasquatch, but would probably have to downgrade to base, but I really don't wanna miss out on the MGV interior and washout floor, plus the mid package is a nice bonus. Just wondering what you guys think about 32" tires and what are your experiences if you have used them. Unfortunatly, none of my family and friends have any more experiance of road than I do, so they are not sure either. Owning a bronco is going be a learning experience for me, but a fun one! Definitely looking at joining an off road club soon also.
You'll be shocked what a Black Diamond w/rear locker and 32" General Grabbers will do. It will take you farther than 95% of Bronco owners will ever go! For the terrain you described, the BD may even be overkill.

I owned 2 Defender 90s back in the day with tires the same size as those grabbers. You'd be scared at some of the crazy sh_t I did in those vehicles and they didn't have rear lockers.

I owned 2007 and 2010 Wrangler Rubicons w/ 255/75R17s which are about the same height as the BD Grabbers and, but a cm narrower! Again, those vehicles were super capable. Today's Rubicons get 33s (2018s and later).

Many on this forum are passionate off-roaders or folks who want to run around town in Big Tire Brodozers. It's got many less experienced folks thinking they need Sasquatch 35s. That's b.s. in my opinion. Get the Black Diamond and the nice interior and you'll have a blast. It'll have decent on road manners and won't annoy you like big tires might. When you start pushing the vehicle to its limits and feel like its holding you back, shoot me a message and tell me I'm wrong. I'm pretty confident I'll never hear from you. :)

Last edited:

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

32’s will do most everyoyou want to do.
Big tires is like a V8. Everyone thinks you have to keep going bigger. Not true. I’ve wheeled 2 different jeeps the past 6 years, neither was over a 33” tire. It’s more about the gears and locker than it is the tire size.
Me personally, I’m looking at going up to a 33-34” tire, more out of personal preference than anything, that’s just my comfort zone I guess, what I’m used to.
If this is your first time getting accustomed to an off reader, it’s the perfect size to start with.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think your thought process is good. I have had great experience with General tires and the Grabbers seem well reviewed. I have done a lot of off reading with 31” tires without much problem, just watching the obstacles I challenge and driving within my abilities. Two major caveats in my experience. 1. Smaller tires, when aired down enough to make a difference in snow and sand, can make clearance an issue. Bigger tires=better performance when aired down in most cases. 2. When in deeper snow, nothing helps more than keeping the vehicle from dragging. Adding the need to air down in many situations that much “worse”. It’s another one of those 80/10/10 rules. 80% of the time you will be good to go. 10% of the time you will say, if I had bigger or more aggressive tires I could make “that” and back out and 10% of the time you will try anyway and get stuck ? It would help if We knew for sure a 285/70/17 would fit on the stock wheels and suspension without rubbing. It would be a fun upgrade after playing with the BD on the 32s for a year or two. And with the 4.26 gearing it should still be awesome on the road and trails with a slightly larger tire.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Subaru on m/s tires has been through sandy soil, fields, the occasional mostly dry creek bed, snow drifts up to the top of the hood, level snow up to the bottom of the grill, and more wet mud/clay rutted roads that I can remember. My baby skid plate is scratched and gouged. The tire tread makes a huge difference. With what you are describing for your use, the Grabbers will give you way more than you need. The height gives you almost 75% more ground clearance than my WRX and the tread will be much better for off pavement/road then my tires. Vehicles will go a lot further over rougher ground than people think. The limit will be your willingness to attempt an obstacle, not the tires.

Stevegp

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 mustang gt. F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also research the crap out of things. Saw so many positive reviews on youtube videos regarding the tires on BD.
32” tires , rear locker , the right gearing.
BD , 2.7 , mid package plus a little stuffing and cranberry sauce is in my opinion the best deal offered and is more capable than I will ever need.
Sponsored