Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I love a challenge and have Youtube certified on many DIY projects on my car and around the house. I haven't failed enough to reprogram myself into not believing I can figure shit out. My Badlands is being built next week and I have bought enough bulk 3M Pro Series film to wrap my whole truck for about $500 plus another $60 in supplies and tools I didn't have on hand. I guess the worse case scenario is it looks like hot garbage and ends up in recycling and my wife finally gets to tell me I told you so. If it turns out well, I will post, if not I will pretend it never happened and hope no one asks. ;)
Adam,
Good luck. I"m following as I am in the same boat as you. There is no way this should cost $5-$7K. Watching the guys on youtube make me a believer as well...but you go first!
Mark
Sponsored

6SpeedBowtie

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Wrangler, Corvette, Sierra, MGB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the full hood, full fenders, the painted pieced between the bumper and grille, the pieces around the windshield, and the door sills covered. It was somewhere around $1700.
Where in VA did you go? Are you in Northern VA by chance?

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just don’t have the funds to do the entire vehicle right now, so I’m trying to prioritize. Interested to know why most of you chose the hood and fenders first. I get that those areas are more vulnerable on most cars, but the bronco seems to be more vulnerable on the sides gives the high tire splash and doors coming off. Thoughts?

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m planning to try it by myself. I have some friends who have wrapped vehicles before recruited to help. Then I’m going to ceramic coat it. I may be able to afford $500ish.

Sponsored

Merbronc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT viper GTS/Cadillac Escalade/Audi A6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can’t comment specifically on my bronco(build week 12/20), but I have extended experience with xpel ultimate. I had it installed when I purchased my viper 6 years ago. My viper is black, and I actually fine the xpel easier to clean than the factory paint. Also, no swirl marks visible on the xpel as opposed to the paint. My advice would be to have a professional installer cut it and apply and not use the precut pieces. Although it has held up well overall on the viper, the “edges” of the film are becoming more visible over time. This would be a nonissue on a custom cut and wrap application. Good luck

abdickson70

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I thought I would come back and report on how it went. I like things done right but I also am kinda cheap and love to keep myself busy with Projects. So far I have done the hood, front fenders and all four doors with bulk 3M PPF.

Mixed results.....wishing I would have had at least one panel to practice on before and hindsight I would have done the hood when I had a couple other panels under my belt. The last 4 panels I have done look near perfect and I am happy with the results. The hood has the most flaws, including short hairs and soap marks(the more soap solution on both the film and the panel surface the better) Still, you would have to look pretty close to see anything wrong and my edges are pretty damn good. I may buy enough to redo the hood but other than that, the cost differential to a couple of minor flaws is more than worth it too me. With prep and application, I probably average about 1 1/2 hours per panel.

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I thought I would come back and report on how it went. I like things done right but I also am kinda cheap and love to keep myself busy with Projects. So far I have done the hood, front fenders and all four doors with bulk 3M PPF.

Mixed results.....wishing I would have had at least one panel to practice on before and hindsight I would have done the hood when I had a couple other panels under my belt. The last 4 panels I have done look near perfect and I am happy with the results. The hood has the most flaws, including short hairs and soap marks(the more soap solution and both the film and the panel surface the better) Still, you would have to look pretty close to see anything wrong and my edges are pretty damn good. I may buy enough to redo the hood but other than that, the cost differential to a couple of minor flaws is more than worth it too me. With prep and application, I probably average about 1 1/2 hours per panel.
Pictures? You know, so we can judge you.

Just kidding! I’m sure it turned out great - we are usually our harshest critic.

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I am scheduled to have PPF installed on the hood of my Bronco next week, and I have never had a vehicle with this stuff on it before...so I have a few questions for those that have. Also, the installer uses Xpel.....if that matters. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Do more bugs stick to PPF than to the paint? If so, is it harder to get the bugs off the PPF? If so, what is the best/safest method to remove the bugs without damaging the PPF?
Can you wax the PPF? If so, what type of wax....spray, paste, liquid? Does it need to be a certain type of wax?
Will water bead up on the PPF like it does paint? Will water spot PPF like it does paint, if left to dry?
Over time, will the PPF turn yellow or discolor? If so, what is the "life expectancy" of PPF?
Sorry for all the questions, but I figured this forum would have answers and advice....thanks again.
Do more bugs stick to PPF than to the paint?
No more than usual but way easier to clean off.
If so, is it harder to get the bugs off the PPF?
dawn and water. Wash right off. Rinse. Wipe with microfiber rag.

If so, what is the best/safest method to remove the bugs without damaging the PPF?
PPF is tough. You can hand wash like normal or take through a car wash. If you scratch the film it has self healing properties. Take a hot cup of water and pour over it. Just like brand new.

Can you wax the PPF? Yes. But no carnuba or color

If so, what type of wax....spray, paste, liquid?
have it ceramic coated after you PPF. You’ll do way less of so this.
Does it need to be a certain type of wax?
NA
Will water bead up on the PPF like it does paint? Only if you add a really good ceramic coating
Will water spot PPF like it does paint, if left to dry? At times yes but they don’t stain. You can simply wipe it off.
Over time, will the PPF turn yellow or discolor? Depends on the brand. it’s not as bad as it used to. But in my 6 years installing Xpel’s it the clearest.

If so, what is the "life expectancy" of PPF? 10+ yrs , more if your taking good care of it.
Let us know what you get. Best wishes

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is the exact Xpel work I had done-$1850. I highly recommend exo-shield for your windshield also. I have already been popped by rocks a couple of times. No damage.
Is exo-shield used strictly for glass?

Sponsored

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is the exact Xpel work I had done-$1850. I highly recommend exo-shield for your windshield also. I have already been popped by rocks a couple of times. No damage.
Did you add the exo shield to the windshield? If so, how worth it do you think that it is? Thank you so much!

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you add the exo shield to the windshield? If so, how worth it do you think that it is? Thank you so much!
Xpel is for the paint. ExoShield is for the windshield only. Yes, it was worth the extra cost for the ExoShield. It will always be a matter of personal opinion, but, well worth it to me.

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I love a challenge and have Youtube certified on many DIY projects on my car and around the house. I haven't failed enough to reprogram myself into not believing I can figure shit out. My Badlands is being built next week and I have bought enough bulk 3M Pro Series film to wrap my whole truck for about $500 plus another $60 in supplies and tools I didn't have on hand. I guess the worse case scenario is it looks like hot garbage and ends up in recycling and my wife finally gets to tell me I told you so. If it turns out well, I will post, if not I will pretend it never happened and hope no one asks. ;)
Sooo, how did it turn out :)
Sponsored