Sponsored

Questions about selling used car by owner in California.

UCLAMAN

Badlands
First Name
Webster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi guys. Figured I would ask you bronco people since I will be getting a Bronco too.

when selling a used car by owner inCalifornia, what documents are necessary? I have title in hand.
It is my understanding that I just need the title.

if the car is less than 4yrs old, does it need smog?

after title and smog I simply need to fill out release of liability online within 10 days.

do I need a bill of sale?

thanks for the help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

UCLAMAN

Badlands
First Name
Webster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the difference btwn reg 262 and my actual title? Do i need reg 262?

CoolTech

Wildtrak
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg TDI
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Technically it is the sellers responsibility to provide the smog test. You can take it in and get this done anytime and it's good for 30-days (maybe longer?)

You'll WANT to do the release of liability as soon as possible - otherwise you risk infractions or, God forbid, something more serious coming back to you.

Meet buyers ONLY in areas that are well lit and where there are a lot of people around. Be careful about test drives. If you are not completely comfortable with the person, just tell them no.

A Bill of Sale - two copies and you both sign each. Each party keeps one. Again, best way to keep everything legit.

Be cautious of ANY check including Cashier's checks. Best case is that you meet at the buyers bank and you watch him/her get the money or Cashier's check. Just be careful - 95% of transaction go just fine.... you just don't want to be on the 5% side of the equation!

OP
OP

UCLAMAN

Badlands
First Name
Webster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically it is the sellers responsibility to provide the smog test. You can take it in and get this done anytime and it's good for 30-days (maybe longer?)

You'll WANT to do the release of liability as soon as possible - otherwise you risk infractions or, God forbid, something more serious coming back to you.

Meet buyers ONLY in areas that are well lit and where there are a lot of people around. Be careful about test drives. If you are not completely comfortable with the person, just tell them no.

A Bill of Sale - two copies and you both sign each. Each party keeps one. Again, best way to keep everything legit.

Be cautious of ANY check including Cashier's checks. Best case is that you meet at the buyers bank and you watch him/her get the money or Cashier's check. Just be careful - 95% of transaction go just fine.... you just don't want to be on the 5% side of the equation!
So you recommend going to the buyers bank to pick up the cashier's check. Got it. Makes sense. are there other ways people end up paying for a used car? Cash? Drug money?

Aloso, since I have the title, no need for this form 26, correct?

Last edited:

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, you need to do the smog prior to selling your car to a private party. Do all the paperwork at yours/or buyer’s bank, so you know the check is legit.

Sponsored

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you recommend going to the buyers bank to pick up the cashier's check. Got it. Makes sense. are there other ways people end up paying for a used car? Cash? Drug money?

Aloso, since I have the title, no need for this form 26, correct?
Correct. 262 is for when the vehicle has no title or is an out of state title. The buyer fills out the back of the title when you give it to them.

Depending on the value of the car, I prefer to go to their bank and watch them get a cashier's check. Otherwise I just accept cash. Carrying 20k in cash is no fun. Going to the bank for a $2k car sucks too, so I say cash only if it's that cheap.

When you sell it, you fill out the bottom section of the title, and sign where appropriate. I would do a bill of sale to be on the safe side. You also have to submit the Release of Liability which is the perforated white paper attached to the title. You can do that online here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/nrl/nrlApplication.do

Smog is not required unless greater than 4 years old:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/smog-inspections/#:~:text=Starting January 1, 2019, if,visit smogcheck.ca.gov.

If I sell my car, do I have to get it inspected first?
Yes. If you are selling your car, you need to give the new owner a valid smog certification when you sell the car.
If the car you are selling is less than four years old, you do not need to get a smog inspection. Instead, the new owner of the car will need to pay a smog transfer fee.

Picture of signing areas of title in CA.

Ford Bronco Questions about selling used car by owner in California. CA_title_front

Fireman

Base
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GLS, 12 Rubicon, 01 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi guys. Figured I would ask you bronco people since I will be getting a Bronco too.

when selling a used car by owner inCalifornia, what documents are necessary? I have title in hand.

after title and smog I simply need to fill out release of liability online within 10 days.

thanks for the help.

gpitman

Badlands
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Ford F-350 Powerstroke, 2019 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bill of sale isn't really needed unless you want to cover yourself in some way. Like if you to spell out any issues that they may come back to you for.

Make sure you complete the Release of Liability, I've gotten letters about liens against a vehicle because the new owner never switched the owner. I also keep a copy of the Release of Liability in case you need the proof.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

thanks for the help.

What are you selling?
Sponsored