Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello all,

I have some questions about the roof options, and i just want to make sure i am picking the right option for my needs.

1 - Modular Hard Top Shadow Black-Painted = This means the vehicle roof can be removed in 3 sections: driver/passenger, 2nd row and the truck ?

2 - Hard Top (4-Door) Molded-in-Color Carbonized Gray = Single piece roof? Can be removed, but all at once? In the pre-production pictures looks like it is modular, but that is my speculation from the pictures.

3- Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner (requires Hard Top or Dual Tops) = Any idea if this would be 'build into' the roof, or would it be something extra to remove if one chooses to take the roof off the vehicle?

I understand that this questions may not have concrete answers until the vehicle are out to the public, but there is a lot of knowledge in this forum and i tought i would ask.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All hard tops are comprised of multiple pieces and can be fully removed.

Modular tops are painted and add additional removable pieces, depending on number of doors.

Initial intel was all modular tops had removable rear side windows, a Ford rep at some point said the 2-door doesn’t. Even though everyone seems to believe this fact, this has NOT been confirmed either way as far as I know. (Going by the inconsistent info we’ve had on a number of things, and how a lot of pre-production testing is still going on, I won’t take anything as fact until it is unequivocally confirmed...)

Modular painted tops are also heavier because of their construction and include additional sound deadening properties.

Both types of tops (MIC and Modular) can have additional sound deadening panels added to the inside (Jeep’s have this if you want to see what it looks like)

Here is my cheat sheet.
Again, the presence or absence of removable windows on the 2-door isn’t confirmed as far as I am aware, and I’m happy to be corrected, but I haven’t seen anything definitive.

Ford Bronco Questions About the Roof Options D7DF087C-C555-41EE-87D3-4E5BC76E1BED

::Edit to add, because I know it’ll come up::

Also, the rear most flip up window is not designed to be removed. It is bolted to the hinges of the top like the Jeep and have washer and electrical connections going to it. Also like the Jeep it is possible to open the gate, flip the glass up, and close the gate, so you can drive around with the window open. Reasons to do this is for more air flow or for carrying long items. This is *very* common practice with Jeep owners and not a problem.

Also, despite what some people will argue, driving with the freedom panels off without taking off the clamshell, or without a rear window open, does *not* cause a parachute or high pressure effect in the vehicle. Airflow still continues around the vehicle thanks to the windshield. It’s no different than driving around with your front windows and sunroof open. I do it all the time in my Wrangler. Trust me.

Last edited:

Geekytrails

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all,

I have some questions about the roof options, and i just want to make sure i am picking the right option for my needs.

1 - Modular Hard Top Shadow Black-Painted = This means the vehicle roof can be removed in 3 sections: driver/passenger, 2nd row and the truck ?

2 - Hard Top (4-Door) Molded-in-Color Carbonized Gray = Single piece roof? Can be removed, but all at once? In the pre-production pictures looks like it is modular, but that is my speculation from the pictures.

3- Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner (requires Hard Top or Dual Tops) = Any idea if this would be 'build into' the roof, or would it be something extra to remove if one chooses to take the roof off the vehicle?

I understand that this questions may not have concrete answers until the vehicle are out to the public, but there is a lot of knowledge in this forum and i tought i would ask.

Thanks!

1- The modular hard top also includes planted grill and mirrors. The 4 door has more than 3 removable sections (I think it is something like 6). It also lets you take off the back window which you cannot do with the modular hardtop on the 2 door.

2- I think all of them have at least 3 removable sections.

OP
OP
Jotica

Jotica

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All hard tops are comprised of multiple pieces and can be fully removed.

Modular tops are painted and add additional removable pieces, depending on number of doors.

Initial intel was all modular tops had removable rear side windows, a Ford rep at some point said the 2-door doesn’t. Even though everyone seems to believe this fact, this has NOT been confirmed either way as far as I know. (Going by the inconsistent info we’ve had on a number of things, and how a lot of pre-production testing is still going on, I won’t take anything as fact until it is unequivocally confirmed...)

Modular painted tops are also heavier because of their construction and include additional sound deadening.

Both types of tops (MIC and Modular) can have additional sound deadening panels added to the inside (Jeep’s have this if you want to see what it looks like)

Here is my cheat sheet.
Again, the presence or absence of removable windows on the 2-door isn’t confirmed as far as I am aware, and I’m happy to be corrected, but I haven’t seen anything definitive.

Ford Bronco Questions About the Roof Options D7DF087C-C555-41EE-87D3-4E5BC76E1BED

::Edit to add, because I know it’ll come up::

Also, the rear most flip up window is not designed to be removed. It is bolted to the hinges of the top like the Jeep and have washer and electrical connections going to it. Also like the Jeep it is possible to open the gate, flip the glass up, and close the gate, so you can drive around with the window open. Reasons to do this is for more air flow or for carrying long items. This is *very* common practice with Jeep owners and not a problem.

Also, despite what some people will argue, driving with the freedom panels off without taking off the clamshell, or without a rear window open, does *not* cause a parachute or high pressure effect in the vehicle. Airflow still continues around the vehicle thanks to the windshield. It’s no different than driving around with your front windows and sunroof open. I do it all the time in my Wrangler. Trust me.

Thank you so much for the explanation, it really cleared up a lot of my questions (i've never had a vehicle with removal roof).

One more question, from your cheat sheet, the '2 freedom panels', these refer to driver and passenger separate? I ask since a panel 'over the back seat' is mentioned separably.

Again, this might be obvious to some, but i just have not seen this type of roof in a vehicle.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you so much for the explanation, it really cleared up a lot of my questions (i've never had a vehicle with removal roof).

One more question, from your cheat sheet, the '2 freedom panels', these refer to driver and passenger separate? I ask since a panel 'over the back seat' is mentioned separably.

Again, this might be obvious to some, but i just have not seen this type of roof in a vehicle.
Correct. The front row of both the 2 and 4 door have two square panels. One over the driver and one over the front passenger.
This mirrors the setup that’s known as “freedom panels” in the Jeep. We’ve adopted those terms to describe the Bronco as well... not sure if Ford condones this.
We’re not sure yet whether they are designed in a way that you could remove just one and drive around like that... in the Jeep you’re supposed to remove both together. The reason why they are smaller is for ease for one person to remove them.

The 4 door has one large rectangular panel over the rear seat. The advantage with that it makes the clamshell over the cargo area more or less a cube. On the Jeep, the clamshell has a “diving board” that overhangs the rear seats. Not only does it make the clamshell much more cumbersome to remove, it shifts the center of gravity, and a statistically significant number of Jeep owners have cracked their hard top when they took it off, placed it down, and it rocked forward taking a nose dive onto its overhang.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If the sound insulation is anything like the Jeep, it will be stuck to the inside of the individual roof panels. It is not something you remove separately.

Note: For people that like a headliner instead of the unfinished utilitarian look, you want this.

(Now I wish I had taken a picture when I test drove a Gladiator Mojave that had hard top sound insulation last week.)

Saxon

Badlands
First Name
Saxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know if you can leave the freedom tops on, and pull off the clamshell? I prefer to have the sun not beating down on me, but love the open air feeling of no doors and rear top.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if you can leave the freedom tops on, and pull off the clamshell? I prefer to have the sun not beating down on me, but love the open air feeling of no doors and rear top.
We don’t know yet. It will depend on how they attach to the Bronco and what Ford says about it.
We’ve seen people wheeling the test mules like what you describe, but that’s very low speed.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the sound insulation is anything like the Jeep, it will be stuck to the inside of the individual roof panels. It is not something you remove separately.

Note: For people that like a headliner instead of the unfinished utilitarian look, you want this.

(Now I wish I had taken a picture when I test drove a Gladiator Mojave that had hard top sound insulation last week.)
I have these in my Jeep. They are soft headliner fabric over foam and help with HVAC and sound. They make the interior a nicer place to spend time. They adhere to the underside. Installation requires sanding/roughing the surface and sticking them to the panel.

I intend to get some for my Bronco.
(The black things in this picture.)

Ford Bronco Questions About the Roof Options 1601044111386
Sponsored