Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought a new 2012 JK Sport and had it until Dec 18. It was my daily driver that entire time. I never had an issue with death wobble. The 6 speed manual was agricultural at best but combined with the good power from the 3.6L (285hp/260 torque) and the 3760lb curb weight, it was pretty sprightly. I put a frankenlift on it using higher rate JKU springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. It gave it maybe 2.5" of lift. I tried to avoid the pitfall of installing heavy wheels and tires so I found some 15" aluminum wheels and 33" DuraTrac tires.

In the 6 years of ownership, I only had 2 issues with it; an idler pulley died in month 3 of ownership and the passenger side cylinder head was replaced due to a manufacturing defect in year 5 of ownership. Both were replaced at the dealer (pulley was a warranty job and the head was a recall).

The soft top would dribble some water inside when you opened the door after a rain but I never had any leaks.

It was a great vehicle and I would still own it if I didn't have to sell it to fund a cross country move for a new job.

There were some early issues with the JLs but I wouldn't be worried about buying one now. The 2.0L makes great torque and the 3.6L is very reliable. I would drive as many combinations as I could before committing though.
Sponsored

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Glad to hear about the JL's improvements. I think I'm going to go shopping and see what kind of deals I can get. Issue is I'm in Northern California and most dealers give sleazy dealers a BAD name :p

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DISCLAIMER: This is posted in the "other vehicle section" .... so relax folks... just trying to get some solid info from some experienced Jeep guys. Not looking to start a Fiat battle!
Not a Jeep owner or Jeep hater. I think the primary consideration should be when you think you'll be getting your Bronco, and if you can wait for it.

The Jeep is likely going to cost less out-the-door, owing to the big discounts it has. But, Jeep reliability isn't exactly a strong point, so I figure cost of ownership will at least even-out. Sure, the Bronco is somewhat of an unknown, but most of the major items are already field-tested. Even just comparing averages, Fords are more reliable.

Is this vehicle completely a utility? Or does style and design factor in? Are the things that Ford has improved in the Bronco over the Jeep meaningful to you? Like how easy the doors are to remove and stow, mirrors staying on the vehicle, etc.

Do you think you really need the solid front axle, death wobble and all, over independent front suspension?

There was a time (after renting a Jeep in Moab), where I seriously considered a Rubicon. But, I didn't like the drawbacks. For me, the Bronco solves all of the drawbacks of the Jeep, so it's either Bronco or nothing. Everyone has their own mix of what's important and what's not, though.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like Wrangerls but not the point of pulling the trigger, the Bronco was different for me, however I've been considering other alternatives for a while, I am passing on if I don't make it to the MY21, If you are considering the Wrangler, I'd consider the 4xe, it's plug-in, you get the $7500 federal credit plus any state rebates, Rubi starts at $51K MSRP launch edition, some dealers are selling them below invoice, A Granger like a dealer in Idaho is doing 11% below MSRP with his financing.

Mr. Hankey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2d MT, GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had been thinking Wrangler but am waiting for Bronco 2d manual Badlands nonsquatch. My priorities are:

1) Be able to get to back country lakes and creeks over unmaintained roads to flyfish
2) 2 door manual removable top for fun ultralight car camping adventure with 0-1 friend of choice
3) Reliability to take long trips eg Alaska with minimal concern
4) Fun and comfortable daily driver and on those long road trips
5) Be able to stow a 9 foot rod and sleep in car. Oops
99) Cool factor (any gd widget that looks cool but not functional will get ripped of my vehicle along with back seats, day 1)

I have a hard time getting past the Consumer Reports Wrangler score of 29 and reliability / death wobble reputation. I also have driven 2d manual Jeeps and they are loud as hell, struggle to get up steep grades, and not fun to drive on the freeway.

I know I’m taking a risk getting a non Toyota type reliable vehicle and a new model year also, but 4Runner and FJ don’t meet my #2 priority. I’m going to risk it and at least have fun learning a very expensive lesson, assuming I like the test drive some day.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two jeeps and multiple other SFA, never had death wobble.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the death wobble on the new Jeeps, the components and parts used today are superior that of the past.

I have owned three first generation Broncos and all three of them had the death wobble issues at some point in time as a result of worn out front end parts.

I am just not keen on the engines that they offer for the Wranglers. Between a combination of renting and test driving them, neither the 2L turbo charge or the v6 felt adequate. The four cylinder felt pretty strong but it was always working hard. And the v6 just felt underwhelming. And I would assume the V8 392 will be too expensive and use a lot of gas.

And lastly,there's certainly no shortage of Jeep Wranglers in this country.

CinciGP

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`72 Jeep CJ6, `04 Jeep Rubicon, '18 Jeep JLU sport, `09 Mercedes CLK550
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have owed a 2007 jku and a 2018 jlu. Both base sport models. Manual windows and locks. Plus has a 99 TJ and still own a 04 TJ Rubicon and a 72 CJ6.

The 2007 got death wobble around 100k miles due to worn out components. And the 3.8L v6 was a huge disappointment. No power and really poor mpg. Even worse with 34 mt tires. 16 highway. About 15 average. New got around 18 highway.

The 2018 had the 2.0 mild hybrid. Loved it. Got as high as 27 calculated on the highway. Dropped to 22 highway with 35 mt. But no loss of power. 20k miles on it and had to sell due to job loss. Great engine and very well matched to the auto tranny.

Have a 2021 gladiator with max tow, so 4.10 rear end. Has good power stock, but still new. Got 19.5 on my first trip. I looked at the diesel but can not get the max tow package. Diesel is faster and has better acceleration.

In my opinion the 3.6L is the last choice of the 3 available. With 2.0 mild hybrid the top and diesel in the middle. Be careful. There is a 2.0 with ess and a 2.0 mild hybrid.

I am not 100% sure that the steering issues on JL and JTs has been fully fixed. I have not driven a 2021 that did not have tight steering. But i would suggest that you pay close attention on the test drive or have jeep person go with you. If there is any looseness or play in the steering, you dont want it. The old style steering is vague and does wander a little. But you should not have to saw the wheel back and forth going down the road.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After doing research, it sounds like the last couple of years 2020-2021 Jeep has made some good strides in safety ratings and their ongoing battles with issues.Not sure about electronics though.

Everytime I think about waiting 1-2 more years to get my Bronco, I go Rubicon.... then I read about some of the issues and find out Ford addressed them with the Bronco and I'm back to Blue.

But it varies daily... I haven't allowed myself to go test drive a Rubicon because I'm 80% sure I'd end up bringing it home if the price was right.
Sponsored