Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DISCLAIMER: This is posted in the "other vehicle section" .... so relax folks... just trying to get some solid info from some experienced Jeep guys. Not looking to start a Fiat battle!

With that said, on to my post ......

I feel with the lastest discouraging news, it would be ignorant to not seriously look at the Broncos only real competition... the Wrangler.

If I decided to go the JL (JLU) route, what should I know? Obviously the Death Wobble issue, but reading here, people make it sound like they will literally fall apart on you. Which reminds me, I'm surpised I don't hear the "boat" joke about Wranglers.

But honestly, looking for the gotchas and I figured staying here (On Bronco) might get me better feedback than some jeep forum full of die hards.

Side note, although the diesel option sounds intriguing, the cost doesn't seem worth it. And the newer 4cyl Turbo sounds like a better choice than the inefficient 3.6... but feedback on those would be appreciated as well.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a JL owner but an owner of a 2013 JKU Moab edition. This was a special edition model that year and was slated between the Sahara and Rubicon. It has the same rear axle and lockers of the Rubi but the front non-locker axle of the Sahara without the auto disco. It has handled anything I have put in front and underneath it.

But, the death wobble started about a year ago and we only have 50k miles on it (weekend warrior and wife sometimes will use it to drop the kids off at school). Over Christmas break I finally had the chance to fix the problem to the tune of $1500 later (+ alignment) and which included me doing the work myself and took a day. This was new: bushings, drag link, tie-rod bar/ends, steering stabilizer, sway bar links and track bar. That said, I would think the JL's would be an improvement but the issue does still persist.

With Wranglers, you got to really determine what your needs are. With the JL, only the Rubicon has lockers. It used to be that some of the special editions at least had rear lockers but Jeep seems to have done away with that. A decision that I am sure they will reverse now that you can get front and rear lockers on any Bronco with the Sasq package. (If I am wrong on the Wranglers locker availability somebody correct me but I have spent hours on the Jeep website and I only see lockers on the Rubi.)

I have crossed shopped a new Rubi with a BL and the BL always wins. I bleed Ford blue but they have obviously never offered anything comparable to a modern Wrangler. So I will wait for my Bronco.

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I liked my 2017JKU a bunch,the 3.6 ran pretty well especially after the cold air intake.
I have heard about cam issues in the 3.6 so I wont buy another one. Its been tough not having a spare vehicle since the Jeep has been deemed a total loss after the accident.I like Jeeps a lot but Ford has always been in my blood. I think Ford has the best powerplants in the business,so I will wait.Not sure about the 2.0 turbo in the Jeep others say it is pretty peppy,not really interested in the 2.0 or the diesel.
The 392 would be cool,but way to expensive for me. Bronco has such a cool pedigree I will be an owner in time.I admit its tough to wait but i am sure the Bronco will be worth it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In reference to the BOAT joke, Jeep = Just empty every pocket and I guess for FORD you could say For obvious reasons in debt.
Several things can cause death wobble. From my XJ the only time it developed was when the tires were going out of balance. Worn tire rods, draglinks, track bar, driveshafts etc.. can all cause it when items start to wear. Adding a lift resulting in greater angles causes faster/ greater wear on these items.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love my 2014 Wrangler... but I’m excited about Ford for a few reasons:

1. IFS will be a better driving experience on road.

2. Better technology

3. I prefer Fords for reasons I can’t totally explain.

Sponsored

Shamrocklax03

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500/2014 Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Death wobble is an inevitability with any solid front axle vehicle. I experienced it pretty bad on my 09 JKU. The longer you let it go, the worse it will get and the more parts that will need to be replaced in the long run. Surprisingly, worn (but not bald) tires seemed to be a big culprit for me. I ended up replacing u joints, sway bar, steering stabilizer. It can be hard to diagnose.

I would anticipate that the Bronco will get a diesel engine some day. The Chrysler 3.0L EcoDiesel does get a little better gas mileage than their 3.6L standard engine but not enough for me to consider it a cost savings with the extra sticker price ($6000).

Reenmachine

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve had four of them. I’ve never experienced death wobble. My current one had a recall on the track bar and that made a world of difference as it did wander a bit before that. I’m going to keep mine when I get my bronco so I can have both at the same time. I guess at this point if I were to buy another Jeep, I think I would get that 4 cylinder or the v6 with the manual. I got the 3.6 with the auto but now that comes with a 48 Volt Litium ion battery that is cost prohibitive to replace.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
DISCLAIMER: This is posted in the "other vehicle section" .... so relax folks... just trying to get some solid info from some experienced Jeep guys. Not looking to start a Fiat battle!

I feel with the lastest discouraging news, it would be ignorant to not seriously look at the Broncos only real competition... the Wrangler.

If I decided to go the JL (JLU) route, what should I know? Obviously the Death Wobble issue, but reading here, people make it sound like they will literally fall apart on you. Which reminds me, I'm surpised I don't hear the "boat" joke about Wranglers.

But honestly, looking for the gotchas and I figured staying here (On Bronco) might get me better feedback than some jeep forum full of die hards.

Side note, although the diesel option sounds intriguing, the cost doesn't seem worth it. And the newer 4cyl Turbo sounds like a better choice than the inefficient 3.6... but feedback on those would be appreciated as well.
The 2.0 turbo with the etorque runs really well and much better than the 2.3. It also gets great mileage and I threw 35s on my jlu and barely noticed a power hit. The 3.6 is a different story.... The only death wobble I ever had was my xj with a bent front rim. My JKU and JLU have been great with no issues.

Personally I think death wobble boils down to a specific part that has been bent or worn....Diagnosing can be difficult as mentioned. I don't beat my jeeps against the rocks so I have been lucky to have never seen death wobble on my previous JKU and JLUs. I have also been trading them in every 5 years or so.

The new JL is a great rig and yes get the 2.0. They drive much better than the older jks.

That being said I'm excited for the new Bronco. The 2.7 should be a better option than the 2.0.

If you have a good deal locked in for the Bronco stick with it. If you have a bad deal locked in for the Bronco I would be looking.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing both the Bronco and the Wrangler will be susceptible to is the disadvantages of a short wheelbase, high center of gravity, box-shaped vehicle.

I experienced death wobble in my JK and that's why I'm not in the market for another despite how much I loved it otherwise. I rode a Harley at the same time so I wasn't really into these high society conversations at freeway speeds some Bronco6G members have been worried about missing out on in the future.

There are a bunch of parts you can buy and add to mitigate death wobble, but it's a continual maintenance battle as if you bought a used car brand new. I just don't want to deal with it personally.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base

From owning 3 solid axles jeeps (Zj,jk,wj) and a front IFS jeep(xk), IFS front rides so much better on the street... Aside from death wobble which is curable, you will still get some bump steer, and the occasional shiftyness that comes from hitting a pothole at 65-70 (287 or 95 right 2 lanes for Ny'ers..) I was never left stranded though by any of those vehicles. They did have some maintenance and quirks, but all vehicles do... Nothing that made me think it was "Falling apart". The 3.6 in the JK was dog slow imho because of the 5spd transmission, I have heard good things about the new 8spd in the JL. Both motors are used in many vehicles so parts wont be an issue, Although I did hear there's a replacement turbo shortage?

Sponsored

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had 6 Jeeps over the past 20-25 years including a couple AEV built and lifted Jeeps. I currently have a JL Rubicon. Never had death wobble on any of my Jeeps. And very few issues overall. I know it exists but I think way over estimated as a possibility in particular the new JLs. A lot of the DW issues in the past were caused by bad after market lifts.

I am ordering a 2DR Badlands Sasquatch because I want to try something new. I also like that the Bronco 2 door is larger than the Jeep and I like the half door styling of the Bronco better.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Handling from IFS and powertrain are what’s keeping me from looking at Wranglers. Diesel would be nice, but it’s extremely heavy and still down on HP compared to the 2.7EB.

With that said though, if the Bronco hadn’t come out I’d be in a Wrangler right now.

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Current 2016 JKU owner. 85k trouble free miles. Its been of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. Been running a 2.5" AEV lift and 34" tires since the 40k mile mark. I've never experienced death wobble in any solid front axle vehicle I've owned, and that's been 6 of them. I'm still on the fence between a Rubicon and a BD Sasquatch. The 2.0T has proven to be reliable and now it's a zero cost option, just requires the 8 speed auto. It also no longer has the 48v e-torque system either, which is standard on the V6 ($1500). For me it'll come down to final cost. I'm leaning Bronco but would be happy with either. I do get pulled back to the Jeep side a little every time I see a Sarge green Rubicon though.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep Wrangler advantages:
1. They have a Solid Axle. Probably better off-road but worse on-road.
2. Lots of parts already out there for after market customization and repair. It will be a good 3-5 years before Bronco catches up.
3. Resale value is locked in as very high. Bronco is likely to follow suit, but we don't have used Broncos selling at high prices, so we don't know for sure.

TK-421

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had three wranglers from 97-15 years. Build quality in the 15 was inferior to the 97&04 in my case. Stick shift in the 15 was the worst I’d ever had. Maybe just built on a bad day, IDK.

Looked great, fun with the top off, but there were trust issues. Perhaps that’s just life.
Sponsored