Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500/2014 Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not saying my 09 JKU wasn't reliable. My death wobble issues surfaced at around 140k miles. Otherwise it was a ridiculously reliable vehicle for me. I also had the advantage of having a lifetime powertrain warranty (no longer offered). They replaced about 30 gaskets for me when took it in complaining of an oil leak.
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get a wrangler, be prepared for constant minor issues. For example, I have replaced the horn on my JKU 3 times now because I went through a car wash and it came out broken. Just part of the Jeep experience, in my opinion. I do love my Jeep, and if I am not satisfied with my Badlands, I will flip it for a Rubicon, but I highly doubt I will want to go back to Jeep if the Bronco is as good as it looks.

As far as major issues go, I hear the JL has a lot of electrical problems and people are ruining them in the car wash. Not sure why Jeep can’t figure this out, but plenty of people don’t have the problem too so you might be okay.

For what it’s worth, I have a family friend who is a pretty high level engineer at FCA and he said 2023 will be the year the JL is as good as it’s going to be. I think this is when they will do their refresh, like on the JK’s. According to him, they’ll have all of the minor stuff ironed out, and I believe they are strengthening the frame. Maybe that’s when the Wrangler Mojave will be released, because it is absolutely coming (four door only though).

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Another thing to note. With a Wrangler you will get a good amount of water draining in on on your leg after a rain storm. This is due to the rain gutter that runs above the windows. As soon as you open the door any water sitting in that channel will drain forward onto your leg. The ony way to get around this is to park on a slight upward incline. Or use something like silicone or putty to block the end of the channel. I can't believe they haven't done something to fix this issue yet. But they say it's a Jeep thing.

The design of the roof on the Bronco looks to keep this from happening. It's raised on the edges and looks to channel water to the middle.

Ford Bronco Questions for Non-Wrangler haters 1F311007-E726-499E-AABB-3CA4D161A2F0

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who has owned Jeeps since the TJ, I will say the JL is much better than earlier models in many ways.

I think the JL soft top will be superior with noise, easy of use, etc. to the 2021 bronco soft top from what I have seen in the pics/videos so far. Jeep/bestop has had many years/iterations to get this right. I can drive 80 mph in my Jeep with a soft top and hold a normal conversation/phone call. I could not do this with the JK or TJ soft tops.

And I will not be surprised if the Bronco hard top has some initial issues like minor leaks, noises, etc. Getting a removable top to work correctly in all situations, temperatures, etc. is not an easy engineering task.

The whole 'Jeep quality is terrible and Ford is good except B&P :) ' on this site is ridiculous. I am going into first year Bronco ownership with my eyes open.....many on this site who have never had a vehicle with a removable top are going to be surprised when it not like the truck/suv they have driven in the past.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I appreciate the insight.... yeah I'm tossing around the idea of a Rubicon Unlimited JLU.

Anyone had one with the 3.6 or 2.0T that can give me their MPG?

Best I can Tell from Fuelly is that the 3.6 Rubi real world is 18, and the 2.0 is 22.

I just worry that that 2.0 with a heavy 4 door would struggle to get good mileage.

Side note... I only care about freeway for the road trips and commute.

Sponsored

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My 2016 JKU WW got 18 around town, 20 highway. Same with my 2020 Gladiator. (both 3.6)
I had 8 Jeeps starting with a 68 CJ. No major issues with any.

I am considering a Bronco for the IFS. Want to compare its' ride to the solid axle Jeep. I am not worried about heavy off roading because that is the last thing I would do with a $50 k vehicle.

Neighbor just bought a JLUR with the 2.0 and he says it has plenty of power. Do not know about the mpg.

Omotose

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently run an’08 Rubicon with the 3.8 v6. This Jeep has a 3” lift and I run 37” with 5:13 gears. A little trim and flat fenders allows me to fit those tires. This is a great off road and hunting Jeep. I’ve dealt with the death wobble and gone through a couple of different suspension configurations. Certainly not a freeway Jeep. My dad had a ‘76 Bronco that I inherited and then later gave to my son. I’ve also had a ‘66 Bronco that was a great rig. Now I’m getting ready to retire. I figure a Badlands squatch, mid pkg , 4 door will be perfect for me and my retirement adventures. Right balance of bad ass and civilized.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2018 JLU as a weekend toy that has been near-perfect (pretty sure I can conclude it is my favorite overall vehicle so far). Only regret is I only went with the Sport S so do have some envy of the Rubicon’s that are all over the place up here.

so if I was shopping JLs right now I would go Rubicon and not let rational thought on what I “need” drive that process. Engine choices are lengthy but I read they no longer offer 3.6 with no etorque with the auto. I don’t like the concept of etorque and sounds like pricy replacement after 5-10 years so unless you like turbos or want a manual that would be something that would give me pause.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
3. I prefer Fords for reasons I can’t totally explain.
I think one of my bigger complaints with Jeep is how watered-down the brand became. Between the Compass / Patriot, the lineup feels too soft. Too many neglected 2010 models sitting around, filling up the used car lots waiting for someone who just wants a vehicle for snow.

Even the Wrangler, despite getting continuous updates, feels old. It's a hard position where you need the classic Willys look and can't modernize too much. Harder position when you're being sold alongside another brand that just can't seem to come up with anything substantially new. (give it a few more years, article will come true)

The Bronco does a decent job of separating itself from the rest of Ford's lineup.

jdub.csu

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester, 2020 Honda, 2015 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you buy a jeep get the 2.0 turbo. Such a better engine than the 3.6 imho from the service side of things. Plus you won’t have to deal with the oil cooler failure that will happen not a matter of if but when.

solid axle death wobble is just worn out parts not really an issue as even IFS parts can wear out.

jeep will be easier to modify at first and probably long term for the driveline.

I don’t trust FCA electronics. I replace them all the time at the shop. I actually love FCA products they keep me busy at work ?

my biggest issue with jeep is FCA is reliability not that Ford is leagues better. The 2.7 engine is one of fords best modern engines I have seen very little problems with it. The 10 speed in the Ford and 8 speed in the Jeep are about equal for reliability. Driveline we will see. Ford I would put above FCA for electronics.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have 155k miles on my JKUR. I love it, and will be sad the day I sell it. Death wobble can be a thing - it is scary but you can fix it, and almost anything on a Jeep if you know how to wrench on things. Lifting it is relatively easy and you can do it yourself too.

Ford Bronco Questions for Non-Wrangler haters 23B0D10B-C6A9-4D63-81A1-7BB4772C1DA5

Coincidentally my 17 year old swerved off the road and tripped our TJ in the ditch two days ago. He crawled out with a scratched finger and is running in a Cross Country Regional today. They are built to protect you.

Ford Bronco Questions for Non-Wrangler haters 7D100815-88D4-40C8-A0F4-36A5179F35E2

As for JLs, I would at least get a Willys but recommend a Rubicon with as few options as you can choose. I think the turbo four is an interesting choice if you are going to Colorado or other higher altitudes. The 3.6 has been around since 2012 though and is pretty proven. The diesel is interesting for the range, but does limit your payload.

I have opinions on which mods based on experience of you’re interested.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2018 JL Rubicon 16,000 miles
Never experienced death wobble.
Zero issues with anything else as well.
Top doesn’t leak either.

steering is floaty and vague. Not an issue in town but it can get a bit tiring if you are in the highway getting hit by 30+ side winds.

I have the 3.6 and it actually feels like a decent motor with the rubicon set up.

my son has a 2020 ZR2 and I like the 3.6 better than his engine.

my daughter has a 2020 Jeep Cherokee with the 4cyl turbo and I still like the 3.6 better than that as well.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I have to do some soul searching... just found out from my dealer basically there is no way I'm getting My Bronco until probably well into 2022 unless some miracle happens.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an LJ and Tried to buy a JK. My TJ was very reliable, with only the normal heater fan switch issue at 100k miles and the resale on it was excellent. I would guess reliability is similar, with both being good. For me , the ride, handling and steering of a SFA set up is just not worth the trade off of off road capabilities vs. driveability. I got tired of the constant “driving “ of my Jeep on trips over an hour. I also find the Jeep seating position awkward and even the LJ was too small for me, my wife and my dogs when we go the places I want to enjoy with my play vehicle. All that being said, if I could afford to leave a vehicle at my cabin year round, a Jeep would be a real consideration for me. I just hated the two hour drive to the cabin.
Sponsored