First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150 SCREW 4x4 3.5L Eco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In September, I bought a '21 Bronco Big Bend 2.3A at the local Toyota dealer for well above MSRP. It was the first 4-door hard top I'd seen in the wild. I also pre-paid for 4 synthetic oil change and service. it was $200, not much more than I'd pay for the oil alone so I said what the heck. I had previously watched them do a service on my Camry and they seemed to do a thorough job, otherwise, I've change my own oil for going on 40 years. Yea, at 56, I'm not enjoying crawling under the rigs anymore. My son works at this dealership too but not in the service department. So today, he takes it in for a service, gets home tonight and says that it smells oil, I go out and there's oil everywhere including a trail up the driveway. It's 40 miles home from where he works, with a 20 mile run on the interstate at 70. I started and ran it for a few seconds and sounded fine (at this point, what would it matter after driving it for 45 minutes? So now, I've got a Bronco I paid a lot for with now a questionable future. What to do? I know they'll find the oil filter that's not tight or maybe has double o-ring, but what would you do and what could I reasonably expect? If I had the options, I'd sell it back to them in a heartbeat and find another one, but they're not gonna want to go there.

View attachment 428089

IMG_4394.jpeg

IMG_4401.jpeg

IMG_4400.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd hope for the best. Oil pressure? Did it give warnings? Plus it's synthetic so that's good. Slow leak, stay positive

Any oil left? Have it towed

I always check things after oil changes. Usually the least experienced person doing that job

OP
OP
Cactus_Pete

Cactus_Pete

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd hope for the best. Oil pressure? Did it give warnings? Plus it's synthetic so that's good. Slow leak, stay positive

Any oil left? Have it towed
Good point on the no warnings. If it lost oil pressure it would've shutdown. So I think I've just got a big mess and they've got some cleanup to do. Thanks!

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If there's any read on the dipstick right now you are probably fine. I wouldn't continue to drive it like that, but you had at least some oil pressure at least most of the way. Good luck. Have the dealer document it in case you have problems

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About 25 years ago, I took a truck in for a free oil change. It looked very similar to your pics.
When I pulled the dip stick, it was way over. They never drained the old oil. I requested they buy it back and they did.
What does the level look like on yours?

OP
OP
Cactus_Pete

Cactus_Pete

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
About 25 years ago, I took a truck in for a free oil change. It looked very similar to your pics.
When I pulled the dip stick, it was way over. They never drained the old oil. I requested they buy it back and they did.
What does the level look like on yours?
There may be a little bit of oil at the very tip of the dipstick

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There may be a little bit of oil at the very tip of the dipstick
If that's the case, shouldn't be any damage

Edit: did they put the oil fill cap back in place?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did the oil filter explode? Where's the oil leaking from?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cactus_Pete

Cactus_Pete

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did the oil filter explode? Where's the oil leaking from?
Pretty sure it's a case of double o-ring and is coming down the chute on the driver's side of the engine. It was cold and dark and I don't want to touch anything until they get a look at it and think I had something to do with it. The entire underside is coated with oil leaving me to believe it was leaking on the run on the interstate.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In September, I bought a '21 Bronco Big Bend 2.3A at the local Toyota dealer for well above MSRP. It was the first 4-door hard top I'd seen in the wild. I also pre-paid for 4 synthetic oil change and service. it was $200, not much more than I'd pay for the oil alone so I said what the heck. I had previously watched them do a service on my Camry and they seemed to do a thorough job, otherwise, I've change my own oil for going on 40 years. Yea, at 56, I'm not enjoying crawling under the rigs anymore. My son works at this dealership too but not in the service department. So today, he takes it in for a service, gets home tonight and says that it smells oil, I go out and there's oil everywhere including a trail up the driveway. It's 40 miles home from where he works, with a 20 mile run on the interstate at 70. I started and ran it for a few seconds and sounded fine (at this point, what would it matter after driving it for 45 minutes? So now, I've got a Bronco I paid a lot for with now a questionable future. What to do? I know they'll find the oil filter that's not tight or maybe has double o-ring, but what would you do and what could I reasonably expect? If I had the options, I'd sell it back to them in a heartbeat and find another one, but they're not gonna want to go there.

View attachment 428089

Ford Bronco Quick Lube Oil Change Fiasco IMG_4400

That's Toyota for you. As long as you don't have any warnings you'll be fine. Take it back to them.

OP
OP
Cactus_Pete

Cactus_Pete

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There’s also the issue of warranty. I bought a 100k mile warranty. No warranty is going to cover any Lubricated part failure on an engine that has been ran without oil.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base