Sponsored

Quietest and most insulated top? MIC or Modular?

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do y'all think there will be a difference between the MIC or modular? I'm not a Jeep guy so I have no idea how this works.

I live in Houston so I will likely have to buy a hard top and wanted to start learning. Thanks in advance.

PS-Yes I did see at some point a bit of information about there being optional either sound dampener or weather insulation but I never heard anything about it.
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Someone stated the modular painted top is heavier and better quality. That's the one that will be late availability. For those that care about removable side windows, the painted top is the only that has that feature.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mic isn't quiet... Definitely might want to upgrade sound system or get sound deadener.
It isn't really insulated either, but it's sealed so no air leaks. Much better than soft top.
I would assume modular is a little more sound and heat protective, but that's a guess

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So if I understand correctly, I will get a one-piece, sun-faded gray top that will be completely unwieldy for one person? Thanks, Ford.
There's is no one piece top AFAIK, cept soft top.
And I used to put on and take off the one piece on the FSB.. WAS a bitch but doable. Used to hang it in garage on suspended planks and just back into garage and lower it down. New top is totally better

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So if I understand correctly, I will get a one-piece, sun-faded gray top that will be completely unwieldy for one person? Thanks, Ford.
The MIC top has 2 removable in the front (driver/passenger). And on 4-dr models, the rear passenger panel is one piece and removable. And of course, the rear shell is removable.

The same panels are also on the Modular. One distinction is that the 2-dr gets a gunner's hatch. Modular also has rear removable windows on both 2/4 dr models.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mic isn't quiet... Definitely might want to upgrade sound system or get sound deadener.
It isn't really insulated either, but it's sealed so no air leaks. Much better than soft top.
I would assume modular is a little more sound and heat protective, but that's a guess
I asked the dealer this week about a sound deadener and he said he didn't think they were going to have one available.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The MIC top has 2 removable in the front (driver/passenger). And on 4-dr models, the rear passenger panel is one piece and removable. And of course, the rear shell is removable.

The same panels are also on the Modular. One distinction is that the 2-dr gets a gunner's hatch. Modular also has rear removable windows on both 2/4 dr models.
I'm hoping the delay cuts out the gunner's hatch and gives 2-door owners removable rear windows.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I asked the dealer this week about a sound deadener and he said he didn't think they were going to have one available.
You can always apply sound deadener and insulation, might not look good lol. But I think I saw one of the prototypes with it. I think it was on that overland model. Looked nice. If they actually offer it I can't say
Ford Bronco Quietest and most insulated top? MIC or Modular? 1603413797697
Ford Bronco Quietest and most insulated top? MIC or Modular? 1603413778898

Last edited:

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm hoping the delay cuts out the gunner's hatch and gives 2-door owners removable rear windows.
My opinion is that the gunner's hatch is worthless. I'm not a fan of the removable windows, either. Just another failure point. I would hate to be bouncing along the trail only to find out the glass popped out. If the Mod top is quieter and cooler, then that is the way to go.

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So is the only difference the black paint and the 2 removable windows? Iā€™m not trying to minimize this huge, unfortunate change, but i want to understand the difference. I really tried to get through the other thread but gave up on page 12 of 49.

scotts418

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So is the only difference the black paint and the 2 removable windows? Iā€™m not trying to minimize this huge, unfortunate change, but i want to understand the difference. I really tried to get through the other thread but gave up on page 12 of 49.
if the MIC was black, there would be almost no uproar. I donā€™t believe the modular top is only better because the rear window removal and paint, it has to be better materials to justify the additional cost.

but, weā€™re still talking about a car with removal tops and panels so if you go mic, and are okay with gray color (me, Iā€™m one of the few I guess), get the optional insulation and you should be happy.

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

if the MIC was black, there would be almost no uproar. I donā€™t believe the modular top is only better because the rear window removal and paint, it has to be better materials to justify the additional cost.

but, weā€™re still talking about a car with removal tops and panels so if you go mic, and are okay with gray color (me, Iā€™m one of the few I guess), get the optional insulation and you should be happy.
I agree. Iā€™m also in the minority that is ok with the gray top. With the right color choice, it actually looks better and likely more scratch resistant, which is important given the whole point of having an adventure rig. But you make a good point about the quality of material. I hope the MIC is not ā€œcheapā€ and also that sound deafening is still available.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the modular top is made from SMC not injection molded. It's been awhile since I originally saw the differences but I remember that the mod top was supposed to be roughly 50% heavier and much more rigid than the MIC one. It'll just be more robust construction. Similar to the differences between the base Jeep top and their premium one.
Sponsored