First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr Black Diamond Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Panzer948 - were you able to get the smallest size pins in this wire tap to fit in your mirror connector?

I had bought the mirror tap from Radar Mount off Amazon. However, their smallest red pin won't fit very well in the same socket as the thick white wire (thought the smallest black pin fits perfectly). Results in an intermittent drop out of power when it shakes loose.

If you were able to get this brand's smallest pins to work, I'd love to know!
Same! I broke the smallest pin trying to get it in with the white wire.
Sponsored

mothompson

Big Bend
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, went in with no problem. It's pretty cheap on Amazon too!
Did you ever get a solution? I can't get the smallest wire tap to work either - the white mirror wire is simply too thick to get the wire tap pin in

rclarkgo

Black Diamond
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr Black Diamond Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same. I ordered two sets off Amazon and pins cracked both times when trying to tap the white.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same. I ordered two sets off Amazon and pins cracked both times when trying to tap the white.
Hmm mine worked okay for me. I wonder if they switched the product.

turbotaz

Badlands
First Name
Stas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Badlands 7mt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading the challenges with the mirror tap in this thread caused me to try all sorts of alternate solutions - but ultimately the thing that worked was the recommended Amazon tap with the smaller prongs - just barely. As others reported, it was really difficult to get the positive in with the white wire. Took a lot of tries, and I almost broke it. Ultimately I got it in enough, but not all the way. Yet the black one was very loose and prong was falling out. I ended up using electrical tape to hold the wires in place and insulate the exposed portion of the pin. I am hoping this will work in the long term, if not I might just give up and have it wired to the fuse box.

Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap Mirror Mount 2
Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap Mirror mount 1

Before settling on this solution, here are the other things I tried that didn't work:

1) 5V to RJ 11 from Stickerfab connected to the dash USB port - I was willing to just use a suction cup or rig a mount on the tripod thread, but I didn't like that the the USB port stays powered for a long time after the car is shut off (eventually it times out).

2) Dongar USB Power Mirror Tap from StickerFab combined with #1) - two issues. First it is very bulky and was interfering with the mirror mount. Second, the radar detector would not stay on - it power cycled every few minutes. It is too bad no-one makes something like this for Ford - I see a market opportunity there.

3) Direct Wire from StickerFab: very high quality wire with an on/off switch, but the pins are thick and somewhat fragile, I broke it trying to get the positive to the white wire. Pictures shows difference in size between the Dongar wire and the Amazon one.

Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap Prongs

4) BlendMount: It is expensive, but high quality and I have been using it on all my cars in recent years. The issue with the Bronco is the mirror wire harness is exactly where the mirror stem is and the Blendmount design interferes with the mirror tap. Maybe it could be done, but I just got this much cheaper solution from Etsy which is similar to many others out there, and the design gives more space behind the mirror harness.

Mirror Mount 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with the stickerfab solution, working great.

Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap 16712125571335737213421029437220

velcro keeps the V1 on top of the radio.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you power it off manually?
Sometimes, sometimes I just let the Bronco do its thing. Much of the time, I don't have it in the Bronco, I usually have it for my weekly road trip between Corpus Christi and San Angelo.

mkalil

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bringing back this thread - having issues getting my mirror tap with how big the white cord is behind the mirror. Went through 2 packs of wires already trying to get it through. How have you found success?

Nym2226

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just broke the end of that tap in the wiring harness. What now?
Sponsored