Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wanted to get some alone time yesterday so went out via Pony Express route to Wendover NV. Worst part of the trip was taking I80 back, heavy winds, Amazon semi went off the road into the center median strip, so if your prime package is late, well...

I've moved up to 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs and wanted to make sure everything was still fine. I have them on +10 offset wheels. No rubbing and I did some whoop de dos to make sure. Also, Dog Road, which I was taking as a shortcut to Topaz Road was washed out by the recent rains. If I'd been in my old pick up, I have had to turn around and find another route, but I just crawled the Bronco through and it was fine.

I'd say this was just a light offroading session, mostly on BLM roads, with occasional exploration excursions on some of the track. out into the desert.

I think my wife was wondering if I'd ever come home. I did around 11:30 pm or so. :)

I'm still not sold on trail turn assist entirely, but I'll be jinxed if it's not fun.

Ford Bronco Rainy day in Utah desert with a Bronco Badlands IMG_1983

Some of the wild horses that inhabit the Utah desert. They looked happy.

Ford Bronco Rainy day in Utah desert with a Bronco Badlands IMG_1985

An ant crawled up my leg while I was out getting this photo, then it waited about 10 minutes and bit me while I was driving. What a jerk.

Ford Bronco Rainy day in Utah desert with a Bronco Badlands IMG_1986

Ford Bronco Rainy day in Utah desert with a Bronco Badlands IMG_1987

Caught the moon rising while airing up.

Ford Bronco Rainy day in Utah desert with a Bronco Badlands IMG_1990
Sponsored

LadyBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roller skates 🛼
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wanted to get some alone time yesterday so went out via Pony Express route to Wendover NV. Worst part of the trip was taking I80 back, heavy winds, Amazon semi went off the road into the center median strip, so if your prime package is late, well...

I've moved up to 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs and wanted to make sure everything was still fine. I have them on +10 offset wheels. No rubbing and I did some whoop de dos to make sure. Also, Dog Road, which I was taking as a shortcut to Topaz Road was washed out by the recent rains. If I'd been in my old pick up, I have had to turn around and find another route, but I just crawled the Bronco through and it was fine.

I'd say this was just a light offroading session, mostly on BLM roads, with occasional exploration excursions on some of the track. out into the desert.

I think my wife was wondering if I'd ever come home. I did around 11:30 pm or so. :)

I'm still not sold on trail turn assist entirely, but I'll be jinxed if it's not fun.

An ant crawled up my leg while I was out getting this photo, then it waited about 10 minutes and bit me while I was driving. What a jerk.

Sounds like an amazing adventure! 😍

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if you've already loaded up with off-road recovery gear before going on an adventure. It sounds like you've already got an air compressor - did you get the ARB one with Ford, or a different one?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So you went Badlands on 33s and just changed wheels and tires? How were the Duratracs? Did they behave in the wind?
(Those have been great tires on my Jeep.)

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if you've already loaded up with off-road recovery gear before going on an adventure. It sounds like you've already got an air compressor - did you get the ARB one with Ford, or a different one?
Great question, actually! I had the ARB compressor since around 2015-2016 and used it a lot on my JK in Washington when I lived up there. I also had some recovery gear that I didn't sell with my Jeep, straps and the like. I added a couple of new hard shackles (orange, to match the badlands), a pair of traction boards, and because I enjoy Matt's Offroad Recovery channel on Youtube so much, I ordered a yankum rope and soft shackle from him.

I actually really like the ARB kit. The single compressor is a little slow and it gets hot after a while, but it's handy since I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. I cut the wires to the alligator clips and installed Anderson Powerpole connectors in between. That way, I can use the alligator clips on a vehicle that's I haven't retrofitted for Powerpoles (like my wife's Lincoln) or just plug into the power I run for ham radio.

At super celebration, I traded air for watermelon from another forum member - the waternelon was yummy!

I'm still in the process of doing the wiring for the ham radio now, so I'm still using the alligator clips on the bronco so far, but I figure I'll take the time to run the power next weekend...

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you went Badlands on 33s and just changed wheels and tires? How were the Duratracs? Did they behave in the wind?
(Those have been great tires on my Jeep.)
I also went to the aftermarket metal fender flares, which gives me a little extra clearance. When I was at Super Celebration, Vaughn Gittin Jr. suggested I had plenty of room to run 17x9 wheels with 0 offset and 35s and it should work fine. I'm using a +10 offset wheel and the tires come just to the edge of the flares. Frankly, I bought the wheels because they were on close out and cheap (LOL) but couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

From about Wendover to Aragonite, the wind was really rough from about the 2 o'clock direction. As I said before, it pushed some semis off the road. I had to hold a fairly consistent slight right pressure and everything tracked perfectly. I ran the MT/R on my Jeep before and they were good tires, but the Duratracs seem to have better traction and the sidewall isn't quite as stiff, which I like.

I haven't done any slickrock or anything yet, but I feel they should work really well. I'm wanting to get down to Moab in a couple of weeks and just do a run on Fins & Things or stalk the Off Roadeo guys on Dome Plateau and that should give me some idea of how they do on slickrock. :)

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! Do you feel like you are missing out by not having the 4.7 rear end with those larger tires?

I
That thought occurred to me. I think if I were going bigger than 35s, I'd miss the 4.7, but I ran the 35 MT/R on my Jeep with 4.11 axles and that underpowered Pentastar before and it was fine, so the 4.46 axle seems good to me. Jeep's running a 4.56 on their "Extreme Recon," so it's pretty close to what those guys are getting out of the gate.

Reality is, for highway driving, the 4.46 should give me slightly better fuel economy and I'm not missing much by not having the 4.70 off road. Haha, at 70, though, having all the aerodynamics of a brick probably makes more difference than the axle ratio.

I did drive a Sasquatch at Off Roadeo and it accelerated very slightly better, but not enough to make me want to do a gear swap. Picking through washouts and erosion felt pretty much the same to me with the 4.46.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

This is what its all about right here

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love that moon shot!!!!! AWESOME!!!!
Any word on your bronco? I'm still following the 7/19 thread but haven't seen an update. I really hope it's arrived or on the way.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great question, actually! I had the ARB compressor since around 2015-2016 and used it a lot on my JK in Washington when I lived up there. I also had some recovery gear that I didn't sell with my Jeep, straps and the like. I added a couple of new hard shackles (orange, to match the badlands), a pair of traction boards, and because I enjoy Matt's Offroad Recovery channel on Youtube so much, I ordered a yankum rope and soft shackle from him.

I actually really like the ARB kit. The single compressor is a little slow and it gets hot after a while, but it's handy since I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. I cut the wires to the alligator clips and installed Anderson Powerpole connectors in between. That way, I can use the alligator clips on a vehicle that's I haven't retrofitted for Powerpoles (like my wife's Lincoln) or just plug into the power I run for ham radio.

At super celebration, I traded air for watermelon from another forum member - the waternelon was yummy!

I'm still in the process of doing the wiring for the ham radio now, so I'm still using the alligator clips on the bronco so far, but I figure I'll take the time to run the power next weekend...
Chris,
Gladly swap watermelon for air in the future as well. Plan to be better equipped for Super Cel West Round Three.
Mike

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chris,
Gladly swap watermelon for air in the future as well. Plan to be better equipped for Super Cel West Round Three.
Mike
Hey, man! We're a team now! You're stuck with me.

BTW, I brought back a flat of those peaches, a honeydew, and a watermelon and I was a hero when I got home. The girls want to go next year just for the fruit. My daughter asked when I was going back to CO to get more palisade peaches! Haha!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any word on your bronco? I'm still following the 7/19 thread but haven't seen an update. I really hope it's arrived or on the way.
LOL. Why would there be a word? They don't do that!!! Nope, 8 weeks last Fri....some folks are getting delivery along with built emails now, so I keep hoping I'll just be surprised.
Sponsored