Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With @Tricky Dick 's post yesterday about the issues with crawling, it brought up a few things from my past TJ days. Unarguably, the 6G has a lower frame rail height than Jeeps at similar tire sizes.

On the TJ jeeps with the huge shovel looking center skid, most people doing any sort of crawling replaced it with a flat tummy tuck skid like the one from savvy.
Ford Bronco Raise Breakover Angle/Tummy Tuck Options 1664977640420

These were often combined with a small body lift and small motor mount lift to allow for the transfer case and other low hanging items to be shoved up 4" higher without requiring any(additional) suspension lift. This keeps the chassis and CG low.

I have not seen anything yet, or even discussion about the possibilities of shoving stuff up and getting a higher and flatter floor.

I would anticipate needing a .75-1" body and motor lift and paired with removing and replacing the X brace (on 2.7). Then lifting the gas tank 2-3" and adding a higher center skid.

Anyone heard of anything like this?
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With @Tricky Dick 's post yesterday about the issues with crawling, it brought up a few things from my past TJ days. Unarguably, the 6G has a lower frame rail height than Jeeps at similar tire sizes.

On the TJ jeeps with the huge shovel looking center skid, most people doing any sort of crawling replaced it with a flat tummy tuck skid like the one from savvy.
Ford Bronco Raise Breakover Angle/Tummy Tuck Options 1664977640420

These were often combined with a small body lift and small motor mount lift to allow for the transfer case and other low hanging items to be shoved up 4" higher without requiring any(additional) suspension lift. This keeps the chassis and CG low.

I have not seen anything yet, or even discussion about the possibilities of shoving stuff up and getting a higher and flatter floor.

I would anticipate needing a .75-1" body and motor lift and paired with removing and replacing the X brace (on 2.7). Then lifting the gas tank 2-3" and adding a higher center skid.

Anyone heard of anything like this?
Our t-case doesn't hang down past the frame that bad, but I think that's because our frame is also a good deal taller. The worst low hanging offender is that damn gas tank.

OP
OP
GreyZ

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our t-case doesn't hang down past the frame that bad, but I think that's because our frame is also a good deal taller. The worst low hanging offender is that damn gas tank.
I mostly agree, although it does look like the support for the T case comes down atleast a few inches from the frame. A low profile Cross and X bars that replace the stock ones could probably still get atleast a couple inches.

I agree on that gas tank. It really is the worst offender. I wonder if there is room in the market for aftermarket tanks that could maintain the volume with better packaging, but still shift the bottom up ~3" inches.

Getting the tank up would really be a huge step in helping that breakover angle.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
OMFG just trade it for a Jeep already! Nothing is ever good enough for people anymore! It becomes butchery at a certain point and trying to tuck everything in these Broncos will quickly become butchery. Have at it, post pics.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some one make us a low profile gas tank please with a good bash plate. Don’t care how many miles I can go. We’ll firgure that one out myself.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some one make us a low profile gas tank please with a good bash plate. Don’t care how many miles I can go. We’ll firgure that one out myself.
Could probably do it with 10 gallons in a 2dr but after the reeeing about the 16.9 tank there's about 3 people that will go for it. I could probably live with it, that's about the same range as a bike.

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could probably do it with 10 gallons in a 2dr but after the reeeing about the 16.9 tank there's about 3 people that will go for it. I could probably live with it, that's about the same range as a bike.
Daily driving my Bronco, this would be a pain in the ass. I can see that being a good solution for a trail-only vehicle. At 10 gallons, I'd be hesitant to overland in it.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if the could do a extended or different shape. Will have to investigate.

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Daily driving my Bronco, this would be a pain in the ass. I can see that being a good solution for a trail-only vehicle. At 10 gallons, I'd be hesitant to overland in it.
Efff it, just put a fuel cell in the back like a buggy!

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay. Crawled under and took a look. That tanks so tight underneath, I think my thoughts got stuck.

Will have to get high and sleep on it.

OP
OP
GreyZ

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OMFG just trade it for a Jeep already! Nothing is ever good enough for people anymore! It becomes butchery at a certain point and trying to tuck everything in these Broncos will quickly become butchery. Have at it, post pics.
Wow. Did not realize that it was such a sore subject. Many people are spending tens of thousands of dollars on modifications. Making modifications with the intention of increasing function without removing the positive aspects of the Bronco is something I am interested in.

Absolutely... decreasing volume would easily get quite a bit more room. Could couple it with a rear aux tank where the current muffler is to maintain capacity. As long as it is tucked forward of the rear crash bar.

Okay. Crawled under and took a look. That tanks so tight underneath, I think my thoughts got stuck.

Will have to get high and sleep on it.
I agree. This is my concern, that there is just not available room.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The wheel wells on a Bronco 6g are opened up quite a bit over Wranglers and other older 4x4s. This allows a larger tire with a lower center of gravity for overall safety. To get belly clearance, the first thing would need to do is lift that suspension up. This is what you would have done on say a JK to fit 35s without rubbing. (Well, I squeezed in 37s on my JK without a lift but with extended bump stops to prevent rubbing :D). Maybe someday someone will figure out a way to tuck some of the stuff up a bit higher.

Put in a great set of skid plates and drag that baby over stuff. Get a winch or a buddy to pull you off. Off-roading is a challenge so get on it and have fun!

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. Did not realize that it was such a sore subject. Many people are spending tens of thousands of dollars on modifications. Making modifications with the intention of increasing function without removing the positive aspects of the Bronco is something I am interested in.
No! The Bronco is perfect as the Ford gods intended it.
Sponsored