Sponsored

Raj Nair: New Bronco Will Live Up To Its Heritage; Be "Different" Than The Ford Everest

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Personally, I would be glad to see the Bronco produced with only two doors and solid axles. I'm just saying that from a business perspective it would be hard for Ford to justify either, especially considering that it will share it's chassis with the Ranger and that truck already uses IFS and is produced in three separate plants outside the US. I think it is fair to say that the only reason Ford is able to bring the Bronco back is because of the Ranger. Unfortunately, it will never sell in large enough numbers to justify it's own platform and manufacturing facility.

Also, while people claim that the Bronco needs to live up to its heritage they are apparently forgetting that from 1980 through 1996 the Bronco had IFS, which was actually a swing arm design that Ford called Twin Traction Beam. The Bronco II also used a smaller version of that design which it shared with the Ranger of that era. The only Broncos that used a solid front axle were the first and second generations.
Sponsored

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Certainly the 1980 - 1996 Bronco had IFS but as Raj indicated in his remarks, the full-size Bronco generation can tie its lineage to the current Expedition. Demand for that size SUV is currently filled by the Expedition so no need to recreate that with the new Bronco. The Bronco II filled the small SUV segment currently occupied by the Escape so no need for the Bronco to compete there either. Ford has a wide range for competitive SUV's that offer SUV utility and the smooth ride of independent suspensions. These are mostly pavement pounders that have more "off-road" capabilities than your average sedan but are not true off-road trail rides. In such a crowded offering that also includes the Explorer, why would Ford offer another SUV of similar flavor with the Bronco nameplate? It just does not make sense to introduce another SUV that is only marginal distinguishable from the current Ford SUV line-up. None of the current crop of Ford SUV's competes head to head with the Wrangler so Wrangler sales continue to climb. If Ford really wants to provide a worthy competitor to the Wrangler, take some of those sales and reestablish the Bronco nameplate at the top of the list of truly capable off-road vehicles, then it needs the tools to compete and unfortunately IFS does not belong in that tool kit.

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dude, you're preaching to the choir. Everyone here hopes you're right but at some point reality might just rear its ugly head.

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
The recent spy pics of the NA bound Ranger worries me. I really hope they've got more creative juices for the Bronco than what we're seeing on the Ranger mule so far.

From Ranger5g.com

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like a Toyota Tacoma.

Sponsored

Smittyca

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Certainly the 1980 - 1996 Bronco had IFS but as Raj indicated in his remarks, the full-size Bronco generation can tie its lineage to the current Expedition. Demand for that size SUV is currently filled by the Expedition so no need to recreate that with the new Bronco. The Bronco II filled the small SUV segment currently occupied by the Escape so no need for the Bronco to compete there either. Ford has a wide range for competitive SUV's that offer SUV utility and the smooth ride of independent suspensions. These are mostly pavement pounders that have more "off-road" capabilities than your average sedan but are not true off-road trail rides. In such a crowded offering that also includes the Explorer, why would Ford offer another SUV of similar flavor with the Bronco nameplate? It just does not make sense to introduce another SUV that is only marginal distinguishable from the current Ford SUV line-up. None of the current crop of Ford SUV's competes head to head with the Wrangler so Wrangler sales continue to climb. If Ford really wants to provide a worthy competitor to the Wrangler, take some of those sales and reestablish the Bronco nameplate at the top of the list of truly capable off-road vehicles, then it needs the tools to compete and unfortunately IFS does not belong in that tool kit.
I don't really understand the argument that suspension set up dictates whether 2 vehicles are direct competitors. The 5th gen Camaro had IRS for years before the Mustang ditched the SRA in 2015 and no one would say they did not compete directly. Now I understand that when talking about off road rides there's a case to be made that an IFS is inferior but that is a question for the mags to answer mostly. The FJ Cruiser had an IFS and was definitely a direct Wrangler competitor even if it failed. I fully expect the Bronco to have an IFS especially since it will be shared with the Ranger. If they do it right 90% of people will not care nor use the vehicle on trails so challenging that they will notice the difference.

White Kicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Supercrew
Actually, it looks like an Everest. Use that for the Ranger but PLEASE do not give the Bronco that front end or any of the Ranger's styling.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree it looks like an Everest, but the Taco has a very similar shape to the grill and headlights as well. I would like to see less bland "me too" styling.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition"

Wait What??

So the Expedition which is 27" longer than the Bronco ever was, has two extra doors, extra seats, etc fills the market the Bronco left?
I think this guy doesn't know cars. Can we get someone that actually knows the market and what they're talking about please?

I've always believed that from the get go. They were chasing the Blazer which started offering 4 doors in 95 and went 4 door only in 99. So yes, the Expedition is the direct offspring of our beloved EB's. :)
Sponsored