Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering if anyone has the Rakattach 2.0 for their bronco yet. Looking at getting the 1up two bike rack as well as a swing out extender for the tailgate. Most people seem to go with the Kuat Pivot. The Rakattach 2.0 is newer. It has the advantage of allowing you to change which way it pivots and it seems to be sturdier. The Pivot is $100 less, a bit less sturdy, and can only swing one way. I am wondering. With the extra sturdiness of the Rakattach seems to bring extra weight and bulk. Wondering what the best combo here is.

I like the versatility and sturdiness of the Rakattach but at the same time I am going to be taking it on and off quite a bit.

Looking forward to hearing everyone elses experience.
Iā€™ve got a rackattach. Itā€™s built like a tank. The anti wobble bracket it comes with is nice. Itā€™s basically a bolt that threads through the hitch and into an insert inside. It definitely keeps it from wobbling. I had the wobble bolt loosen a little bit during a 2k plus mile trip to Montana with lots of off-road driving.
My only complaint is that with ice dirt and mud, the pin that holds the swing arm in place can be a little hard to pull out. I tapped it from the bottom with the back of a hatchet to get it started. Rackattach is also 100% made in America and the Kuat isnā€™t. Iā€™ve used it mostly for hauling around my hitch rack for firewood, coolers, etc. so Iā€™m putting a lot of weight on it and Iā€™ve been really impressed with the performance. Hereā€™s a few pics.
In the snow pic I took my buddyā€™s hitch rack that was loaded with firewood because he couldnā€™t open the tailgate on his jeep (and needed to) so i just took the rack for the rest of the day and had no issues.

0768E388-F3E3-43C5-82A6-30CDCF393B63.jpeg

5B5B0A8F-6AD6-427A-8BB6-C82E521B2D75.jpeg

5C3A463F-B2F1-4CA0-B408-6448926A86C7.jpeg

414D8C5B-E9C3-4CC0-A4AB-70FB867CA503.jpeg
Sponsored

OMTBiker

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Tremor AMB | 2022 OBX SAS HPR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Another option is the Yakima Backswing, it swings to the passenger side. Have not tried it on the Bronco yet, but worked great on the Jeeps.

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Iā€™ve been running a gen 1 Rack Attach with both a 1up bike rack (up to 4 trays) and a 1up cargo tray. I have the anti wobble insert and I also picked up an addition stabilizer clamp to further lock down the Rack Attach to the hitch. I also picked up a spacer for the spare mount which spaces the tire off the back a few inches and makes it possible to remove the vertical pin that secures the Rack Attach. Spacing the tire off the back in order to access the Rack Attach pin is an absolute must. I also have the license plate mount and lighting package for it which solves the issue with the Rack Attach blocking the OEM plate location.

I went with this setup because I assumed it would be the most stable and bombproof route possible. It took a long time and was expensive to get the whole setup dialed in. My results overall with the rack have been mixed, but generally off the mark from my expectations. Being able to swing the rack away from the truck is a game changer though - simply fantastic.

When I have more than 2 bikes on this setup (each bike around 30 lbs), it starts to bounce in ways that give me a lot of anxiety. Recently I took a trip to Downieville with 4 bikes, one of which was an eBike. Total weight of the rack setup plus bikes was 280lbs, so well below the 350lb max tongue weight of the Bronco (but the effect of the cantilevered weight/leverage is a wild card). The whole time I was terrified of hitting bumps on the highway (let alone dirt roads/off-road) because of the insane amount of bounce (Iā€™d say 5-8ā€ of vertical bounce. Iā€™ve heard of 1up rack receiver shafts snapping due to this sort of bounce (itā€™s aluminum). From what I can tell, the source of the bounce is the mechanism on the 1up rack that lets you tilt the rack upward - thereā€™s a spring loaded bar that fits into a receptacle and thereā€™s quite a bit of amount of play between the mating interfaces. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I can do about this - itā€™s a design issue. I think this same issue also causes the cargo tray to droop / angle backward slightly when loaded up, which you can see in the pics.

Also, when looking at the rack from the back itā€™s angled to the side drivers side slightly. I believe that the Rack Attach causes this because of its massive weight out the side twisting/torquing on the hitch/shafts..

In general I donā€™t think the engineering and manufacturing quality the Rack Attach is up to par with the rest of the 1up rack. Itā€™s a bit crude and very heavy.

I will say that generally this setup works great most of the time, looks fantastic, and has been super versatile. I donā€™t know that any other setup out there would be better with respect to the issues Iā€™ve experienced. TBH I feel like receiver hitches/interfaces for bike racks and cargo trays could use some fresh thinking but thatā€™s another conversation.

Feel free to ā€˜bounceā€™ any questions off me.

67831E8A-C702-4683-B997-79159380996F.jpeg

91E9E137-E622-4626-A3E6-B6ABC8120F67.jpeg

0A93B09C-AB99-4CE3-87A5-9B7079242728.jpeg

1DE3375F-7115-45C4-9C82-BA803891C39D.jpeg

D5207E99-EB5F-4172-B8E2-39B646A39B54.jpeg

59E27BF3-501C-4E7A-B9BD-B5E3910F212D.jpeg

C28A19CC-9C3D-41B5-8D4F-DC7492BF2F56.jpeg

20647AC7-4C1C-45E1-820D-BA5B662FD9F7.jpeg

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the original Rakattac, works great!

Ford Bronco Rakattach 2.0 vs Kuat Pivot V2 20647AC7-4C1C-45E1-820D-BA5B662FD9F7

Sorry for the thread-jack, but...

What kind of bike is that? As a long time desert dweller, I'm not familiar with such things, but is it some kind of purpose-built snow bike? Does it really work? What do you wear when you ride it?

OP
OP
tambrico

tambrico

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niner Air 9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for the thread-jack, but...

What kind of bike is that? As a long time desert dweller, I'm not familiar with such things, but is it some kind of purpose-built snow bike? Does it really work? What do you wear when you ride it?
They're called fat bikes. Great for riding in the snow in winter and riding in loose sand on the beach.

Sponsored

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve been running a gen 1 Rack Attach with both a 1up bike rack (up to 4 trays) and a 1up cargo tray. I have the anti wobble insert and I also picked up an addition stabilizer clamp to further lock down the Rack Attach to the hitch. I also picked up a spacer for the spare mount which spaces the tire off the back a few inches and makes it possible to remove the vertical pin that secures the Rack Attach. Spacing the tire off the back in order to access the Rack Attach pin is an absolute must. I also have the license plate mount and lighting package for it which solves the issue with the Rack Attach blocking the OEM plate location.

I went with this setup because I assumed it would be the most stable and bombproof route possible. It took a long time and was expensive to get the whole setup dialed in. My results overall with the rack have been mixed, but generally off the mark from my expectations. Being able to swing the rack away from the truck is a game changer though - simply fantastic.

When I have more than 2 bikes on this setup (each bike around 30 lbs), it starts to bounce in ways that give me a lot of anxiety. Recently I took a trip to Downieville with 4 bikes, one of which was an eBike. Total weight of the rack setup plus bikes was 280lbs, so well below the 350lb max tongue weight of the Bronco (but the effect of the cantilevered weight/leverage is a wild card). The whole time I was terrified of hitting bumps on the highway (let alone dirt roads/off-road) because of the insane amount of bounce (Iā€™d say 5-8ā€ of vertical bounce. Iā€™ve heard of 1up rack receiver shafts snapping due to this sort of bounce (itā€™s aluminum). From what I can tell, the source of the bounce is the mechanism on the 1up rack that lets you tilt the rack upward - thereā€™s a spring loaded bar that fits into a receptacle and thereā€™s quite a bit of amount of play between the mating interfaces. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I can do about this - itā€™s a design issue. I think this same issue also causes the cargo tray to droop / angle backward slightly when loaded up, which you can see in the pics.

Also, when looking at the rack from the back itā€™s angled to the side drivers side slightly. I believe that the Rack Attach causes this because of its massive weight out the side twisting/torquing on the hitch/shafts..

In general I donā€™t think the engineering and manufacturing quality the Rack Attach is up to par with the rest of the 1up rack. Itā€™s a bit crude and very heavy.

I will say that generally this setup works great most of the time, looks fantastic, and has been super versatile. I donā€™t know that any other setup out there would be better with respect to the issues Iā€™ve experienced. TBH I feel like receiver hitches/interfaces for bike racks and cargo trays could use some fresh thinking but thatā€™s another conversation.

Feel free to ā€˜bounceā€™ any questions off me.

So, the bounce you experience seems to be from the 1up rack itself, not necessarily the Rakattackā€¦curious do you notice that same issue if you only use the two tray mounts rather than the 4 trays? Just curious if problem is still bad if I were to use two bikes.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes it does. Some states don't care. I live in NY where I predict it would be a big deal.
The cops can always verify from your front tag by getting in front of you.

My first concern was worry that the passenger side swung might not clear the tailgate. Secondly I was thinking with driver sidecswing and tailgate open you could have a nice little alcove.

But I ended up with the Kuat v2 passenger side and it is fantastic. Rock solid mounting no wiggle.

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With 2 bikes thereā€™s a bit of bounce but it isnā€™t much of a concern. Aside from the bounce in the rack, the hitch clamp I added definitely helps with the stability overall. Hereā€™s a link to the one I picked up:

Trimax THC200 Univeral Anti-Rattle Clamp Fits 2" Hitch https://a.co/d/eHQYKPA

So, the bounce you experience seems to be from the 1up rack itself, not necessarily the Rakattackā€¦curious do you notice that same issue if you only use the two tray mounts rather than the 4 trays? Just curious if problem is still bad if I were to use two bikes.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From what I can tell, the source of the bounce is the mechanism on the 1up rack that lets you tilt the rack upward - thereā€™s a spring loaded bar that fits into a receptacle and thereā€™s quite a bit of amount of play between the mating interfaces. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I can do about this - itā€™s a design issue. I think this same issue also causes the cargo tray to droop / angle backward slightly when loaded up, which you can see in the pics.

I noticed in this picture you don't have the black "lock nut" on the gold colored bar screwed down. That should take up the slack from the spring loaded bar in to the receptacle that you mention. You may already be doing that when the rack is down, but that's something to look at if you haven't already.

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Iā€™ve got a rackattach. Itā€™s built like a tank. The anti wobble bracket it comes with is nice. Itā€™s basically a bolt that threads through the hitch and into an insert inside. It definitely keeps it from wobbling. I had the wobble bolt loosen a little bit during a 2k plus mile trip to Montana with lots of off-road driving.
My only complaint is that with ice dirt and mud, the pin that holds the swing arm in place can be a little hard to pull out. I tapped it from the bottom with the back of a hatchet to get it started. Rackattach is also 100% made in America and the Kuat isnā€™t. Iā€™ve used it mostly for hauling around my hitch rack for firewood, coolers, etc. so Iā€™m putting a lot of weight on it and Iā€™ve been really impressed with the performance. Hereā€™s a few pics.
In the snow pic I took my buddyā€™s hitch rack that was loaded with firewood because he couldnā€™t open the tailgate on his jeep (and needed to) so i just took the rack for the rest of the day and had no issues.

What aluminum hitch basket are you using in that 1st / snowy pic?

I am looking for a good aluminum basket that doesnt break the bank.

I saw pakmule. Gorgeous, but geez its ezpensive.

I want one for fire wood and cooler duty for the beach days.

Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is my friendā€™s rack. I donā€™t know what brand it is but Iā€™ll find out.

In that picture Iā€™m using a friendā€™s basket. Hereā€™s a link to it

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Flint-Hill-Goods/FHG49ZR.html

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I fasten that nut down when I have the bikes on, but it doesnā€™t take out the vertical slop between the spring loaded bar and the slot it nests into, unfortunately.

I noticed in this picture you don't have the black "lock nut" on the gold colored bar screwed down. That should take up the slack from the spring loaded bar in to the receptacle that you mention. You may already be doing that when the rack is down, but that's something to look at if you haven't already.

Daylen007

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those that got the RackAttach 2.0, which fitment did you get, medium or large?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the kuat pivot V2 (passenger side). I cant see it being any sturdier than it is.

I love it. Super smooth and it goes 120" (further than the Rakattack 2).

I highly recommend it.

Look around and you can normally find them on-sale too.
May I ask where you have seen these on sale? I decided to go with the Pivot 2 Pass for a biit better license exposure but don't see them for sale other than for about $398. Sites with coupons do not work on Kuat products. Maybe the time of year being so close to spring?

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

May I ask where you have seen these on sale? I decided to go with the Pivot 2 Pass for a biit better license exposure but don't see them for sale other than for about $398. Sites with coupons do not work on Kuat products. Maybe the time of year being so close to spring?
I got it from REI with the 20% coupon.

I believe there is a 20% member coupon going on now. If you arent a member, def sign up! Its a one time fee (I think $25) and its definitely worth it
Sponsored