Sponsored

Updated: RAKET “Multi-Top” Roof Rack

RAKET Roof Rack Poll….Would you rather have a...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Now that does look like a clever trick. I'm all for being able to REMOVE things that weigh the vehicle down as my Bronco is not a dedicated adventure vehicle
That’s the plan. Our goal is to simplify the process so you can remove the Rack and Tower at a campsite, and have the freedom to enjoy the Bronco as it typically looks. I’m on the same boat, I don’t need a full rack system 24/7. Thank you.
Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took a look at the exposed option, but you can’t use them with the top on. The RAKET system will be useable with the top on/off, Bimini, etc. since it won’t rely on the roll bars. The system will also be available for 2 door chassis. Thanks.
Awesome thank you, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone else has posted about retaining soft top functionality with a rack, just want to add a +1 to that. Even a half rack that didn't span the entire length of the roof and was over the cargo area and some of the backseat that still allowed the top to open to position 1 would be my dream and solve a lot of storage issues we have for camping trips when we bring the pup. Would love to see if you can make it happen!

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Someone else has posted about retaining soft top functionality with a rack, just want to add a +1 to that. Even a half rack that didn't span the entire length of the roof and was over the cargo area and some of the backseat that still allowed the top to open to position 1 would be my dream and solve a lot of storage issues we have for camping trips when we bring the pup. Would love to see if you can make it happen!

That is exactly why I’ve decided to do this design. Owners will have the capability of taking down the rack, disengaging the tower, and freely put up/take down whatever top they have. I’ve had my Bronco since October and the options were limited due to several factors. Honestly the half rack will still be an option; it‘ll just depend on how we design the mounts. Thank you for the input and keep an eye on this thread moving forward.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s up Bronchachos? I wanted to share exciting news that my company (RAKET) will be developing a new ROOF RACK for the Ford Bronco. THIS WILL BE FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH EITHER TOP. We’ve filed the patent application and have started the R&D. We’ll keep the Forum updated along the way. That being said…here’s what I’m looking for; I would love your input and ideas as to what makes the “ultimate rack” for your Bronco? I’d like to use this thread to hear from you as we start the process. I’ve attached a few details about the rack, but we’re open to ideas. Attached is a very rough sketch of our concept.

View attachment 347547

So let’s talk about some of the key components of the RAKET rack system:

1. The basket (and tower) can be removed within 10 minutes…and be done on the trail.
2. Portions of the rack system will be stationary with “no additional drilling”. That means less install/uninstall.
3. Components (along with the rack/basket) will be interchangeable based on your preference…taller rack…no problem.
4. Cost will be HIGHLY competitive with others in the market. This is a Bronco owner building for Bronco owners.
5. Research will include tensile strength to support Roof Top Tent capabilities.
6. Our goal is to provide customizable aspects to components (molle/ladder/light bars/etc.)
7. Will be available for 2/4/Raptor models.

So now it’s your turn. If you were to build your own rack system, what do you want? Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to send a direct message if you prefer. More news to come once we kick off our marketing and pre-orders.

Derick - RAKET Designs
Hi Derek,
This looks really great. Would the intent be that the rear tower in your depiction would be used with the hard top as well?

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty much covered the bases and basics.
As a ST owner who also kayaks (not always in fair weather the entirety of the trip), options are limited.
You can either:
- have a rack where you can store Yaks when the top is down, and hope it does not storm on the way home (Exposed racks)
-Have an Exo-rack that is large, pay for optional disconnects to swing the (have to be unloaded) rack back, lower your top, re-install the rack. (Gobi)
-Have a rack that uses a similar pillar design to yours, but allows no soft top functionality and no way for quick teardown when you decide it's nice out and you want to roll with the top down. (TC Broncos)

To be honest and purely self-serving here, I'd want a rack that:
-Is not a giant monstrosity detracting from the look, howls like a banshee in the wind, and is only usable if I unload all of it, climb up, disconnect, pay for those disconnects above the cost of the rack itself, hinge it back (does it interfere with carrying fuel, things on the gate??).
-Allows me to (within reason) tie up minimal time/effort/tools to lower my ST all the way.
-Allows for sensible attachments for off-road gear (Trax, pax, shovel, Hi-lift, lighting).
-Is reasonably priced.
R&D is not free.
Tooling is not free.
Labor, materials, logistics are not free.
However, a several-thousand dollar BASE system that requires you to $2-300 yourself into oblivion to make it useful is not cool, regardless of what the market may seem to bear.
It naturally can't be a $200 rack, but on that same token, does not need to be a $3-4000 rack once outfitted with minor items to make it usable.

The sweet spot is having an innovative product you can make profit on that people will flock to because it is a clear logical choice or a cut above in fit/finish/quality/user-friendliness.

Make it so most everyday people can afford it, use it, get the mega-profits through volume or price adjustments as needed down the road. None of us have any issue with anyone making it out there, especially for a domestic product from someone with passion. What we can't do, as a general rule, is pay out the nose for something on the get-go and your volume be limited to influencer-money level people or status queens only.

Not saying you are/plan to...
I like where this is going and root for the success for sure. Hope to be a future customer. But we are everyday people. Most of us are not going for the $5000 bumpers and $2000 LED lights. Make it reasonable for what we get, make your money, sell the crap out of them. Don't overpromise and under deliver. Keep us informed of setbacks/delays. Most of us are accustomed to a long wait for something we love. Just be honest, up-front, update as things change and most will stay the course.

A bit off-topic there, but as a Bronco owner, you are aware of what is needed, already working on fixing a lot of the setbacks we face as owners of several configurations and tops, trying to get a rack system that works, one we can actually get our hands on, allows for configuration from kayaks to RTT's to wintersports, and one that makes sense price-point wise.

Good luck!

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lots of good comments here. With a soft top I would like a tool less option for attaching and removing the cross members. I rather not have to grab tools to accomplish this for ease of putting the top on and off. Also multiple locations for lights.

Thanks!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having given up on the aftermarket to build a roof rack for my soft top BL I recently built my own (version 1.0, patent pending) and understand the time and money it takes to do so. I like your concept and look forward to seeing more.

One thing I would point out about your design is the front bracket probably needs to be a pinned mount in lieu of floating, similar to your rear locking mount. Otherwise, under acceleration the load would shift entirely to the rear mount.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi Derek,
This looks really great. Would the intent be that the rear tower in your depiction would be used with the hard top as well?
Yes. From some of the data, it seems there’s a significant limit to the hardtop weight capacity. The RAKET is being designed to work whether a top is on/off or hard/soft. That being said, you can take the tower completely off when you don’t have a basket on the roof. Hope that makes sense and thanks for the input.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pretty much covered the bases and basics.
As a ST owner who also kayaks (not always in fair weather the entirety of the trip), options are limited.
You can either:
- have a rack where you can store Yaks when the top is down, and hope it does not storm on the way home (Exposed racks)
-Have an Exo-rack that is large, pay for optional disconnects to swing the (have to be unloaded) rack back, lower your top, re-install the rack. (Gobi)
-Have a rack that uses a similar pillar design to yours, but allows no soft top functionality and no way for quick teardown when you decide it's nice out and you want to roll with the top down. (TC Broncos)

To be honest and purely self-serving here, I'd want a rack that:
-Is not a giant monstrosity detracting from the look, howls like a banshee in the wind, and is only usable if I unload all of it, climb up, disconnect, pay for those disconnects above the cost of the rack itself, hinge it back (does it interfere with carrying fuel, things on the gate??).
-Allows me to (within reason) tie up minimal time/effort/tools to lower my ST all the way.
-Allows for sensible attachments for off-road gear (Trax, pax, shovel, Hi-lift, lighting).
-Is reasonably priced.
R&D is not free.
Tooling is not free.
Labor, materials, logistics are not free.
However, a several-thousand dollar BASE system that requires you to $2-300 yourself into oblivion to make it useful is not cool, regardless of what the market may seem to bear.
It naturally can't be a $200 rack, but on that same token, does not need to be a $3-4000 rack once outfitted with minor items to make it usable.

The sweet spot is having an innovative product you can make profit on that people will flock to because it is a clear logical choice or a cut above in fit/finish/quality/user-friendliness.

Make it so most everyday people can afford it, use it, get the mega-profits through volume or price adjustments as needed down the road. None of us have any issue with anyone making it out there, especially for a domestic product from someone with passion. What we can't do, as a general rule, is pay out the nose for something on the get-go and your volume be limited to influencer-money level people or status queens only.

Not saying you are/plan to...
I like where this is going and root for the success for sure. Hope to be a future customer. But we are everyday people. Most of us are not going for the $5000 bumpers and $2000 LED lights. Make it reasonable for what we get, make your money, sell the crap out of them. Don't overpromise and under deliver. Keep us informed of setbacks/delays. Most of us are accustomed to a long wait for something we love. Just be honest, up-front, update as things change and most will stay the course.

A bit off-topic there, but as a Bronco owner, you are aware of what is needed, already working on fixing a lot of the setbacks we face as owners of several configurations and tops, trying to get a rack system that works, one we can actually get our hands on, allows for configuration from kayaks to RTT's to wintersports, and one that makes sense price-point wise.

Good luck!
Thank you and this is exactly what I was looking for. I’m in the same boat where I’m looking for functional and stable upgrades that serve multiple problems without costing $2k-$5k a pop. I’m also looking for something not “seasonal” which forces me to use it. This will cover the bases for most, but have flexibility for everyone. Part of the cost which I’ve been discussing with my engineer is the importance of light materials with high tensile strength. Putting myself as a consumer, that means a lighter basket that can be removed by 2 people easily, and a tower that can be durable for storage. This also means materials that won‘t cause damage, rust, tear, or create an eyesore to our Broncos. I’m always open to opinions, so feel free to comment anytime. Along the way I’ll begin providing updates. Thanks again.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having given up on the aftermarket to build a roof rack for my soft top BL I recently built my own (version 1.0, patent pending) and understand the time and money it takes to do so. I like your concept and look forward to seeing more.

One thing I would point out about your design is the front bracket probably needs to be a pinned mount in lieu of floating, similar to your rear locking mount. Otherwise, under acceleration the load would shift entirely to the rear mount.
You’re exactly right. To not disclose too much of the design, I’ve shared the concept draft and not the patented version. Both of the mounts will have locking mechanisms to ensure the basket is secured and the load equally distributed between two lockers on the front bracket, and both sides of the tower. Thank you and good luck with your project as well. “See a need…fill a need” :).

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Being able to throw stuff on the top and tie/bungee it down would be amazing. I don’t care too much about a roof too tent, just stuff I can’t fit inside. But I think some people would want the ability to still mount lights. I’m certainly interested in this at the right price.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lots of good comments here. With a soft top I would like a tool less option for attaching and removing the cross members. I rather not have to grab tools to accomplish this for ease of putting the top on and off. Also multiple locations for lights.

Thanks!
Great point and it‘s something in the works. We want the attachment (to the brackets) to be tight but easy enough to remove without anything more that the Bronco tools. Light mounts (and quick detachment links) will definitely be something we add…along with Molle panels. We aim to create a system with less moving parts, with security and stability. Thank you for the input.

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please make sure during design that your RAKET doesn't rattle around in it's attaching points and make extra racket.

Not that you would hear it with as much ambient cabin noise that is being reported.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.