First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 392 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kicking off 2022 with a trip to Moab, UT to run the trails with my friends. I hope you guys enjoy this episode of us running the Steel Bender trail.

Just curious but did you video the entire trail or did you not do the entire trail? I did Steel Bender last year for the first time in my two door JL and I remember two difficult obstacles back to back, was curious how the Bronco would fare on those.
Sponsored

OP
OP
broncoepic

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious but did you video the entire trail or did you not do the entire trail? I did Steel Bender last year for the first time in my two door JL and I remember two difficult obstacles back to back, was curious how the Bronco would fare on those.
Yes, we completed and took footage of the entire Steel Bender Trail. I believe the obstacle that you are speaking of is called "The Fall" and is part of the Flat Pass trail (click me). Steel Bender is a lollipop loop, you start out at the "stick" portion, complete the loop, and back out the "stick" section (click me).

We looked at it and decided to not run it. We back tracked to finish the loop and back out to the trail head. I'm posting our walk through/discussion of it as well as footage of a side by side doing it. This is unlisted on my YT channel and only viewable here.

v8venom

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 392 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, we completed and took footage of the entire Steel Bender Trail. I believe the obstacle that you are speaking of is called "The Fall" and is part of the Flat Pass trail (click me). Steel Bender is a lollipop loop, you start out at the "stick" portion, complete the loop, and back out the "stick" section (click me).

We looked at it and decided to not run it. We back tracked to finish the loop and back out to the trail head. I'm posting our walk through/discussion of it as well as footage of a side by side doing it. This is unlisted on my YT channel and only viewable here.
If I remember correctly we did not do the loop. That is the obstacle you are talking about though. Scary in the two door JL on the second one lol we stayed to the right. I have video of my wife doing the obstacle. A real ass pucker moment lol

luckys13

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, Mini Cooper, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks!! Nice rig!! Really like the video.

Sponsored

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was trying to follow what buttons you were hitting for lockers or sway bar disconnect....next time you're producing one of these amazing videos, if you could tell us what you're using for what terrain, it'd be like an amazing cheat guide. :)

OP
OP
broncoepic

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was trying to follow what buttons you were hitting for lockers or sway bar disconnect....next time you're producing one of these amazing videos, if you could tell us what you're using for what terrain, it'd be like an amazing cheat guide. :)
I appreciate the feedback and will incorporate the request into future videos. I try to call it out when I'm engaging the functions. However, if I missed it I can easily put up text to let you guys know.

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Wrangler 4xe, Rivian R1T, Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

What you call “Flat Pass” is just the name of the mountain bike trail that also runs on part of Steel Bender but I don’t think anyone really bikes on this trail. The Wells book distinguishes Steel Bender Loop from Steel Bender Flat Pass Route but it is commonly run from the North entry continuously to the Wells “alt start” to “flat pass route” so you end up at Ken’s Lake. If you watch Lite Brite’s Jeep Safari videos of Steel Bender from 22 and 21 I think they take this route but maybe they also do the loop as well.

Steel Bender as a whole going North to South is pretty gnarly and at EJS they were using straps on short wheel base vehicles to keep them from tipping forward on The Fall. It looked like this year they just had a bunch of people pulling the strap rather than connecting it to the next vehicle. There was a Bronco that took the line to the left which is less steep but a bit tippy. Going off the fall straight usually damages your rear bumper unless you have a hitch extender.

Stitchxp626

Black Diamond
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 2006
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great to watch ! Noob here, what are the "balls" for ? do they aid in line of sight or something?

OP
OP
broncoepic

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you call “Flat Pass” is just the name of the mountain bike trail that also runs on part of Steel Bender but I don’t think anyone really bikes on this trail. The Wells book distinguishes Steel Bender Loop from Steel Bender Flat Pass Route but it is commonly run from the North entry continuously to the Wells “alt start” to “flat pass route” so you end up at Ken’s Lake. If you watch Lite Brite’s Jeep Safari videos of Steel Bender from 22 and 21 I think they take this route but maybe they also do the loop as well.

Steel Bender as a whole going North to South is pretty gnarly and at EJS they were using straps on short wheel base vehicles to keep them from tipping forward on The Fall. It looked like this year they just had a bunch of people pulling the strap rather than connecting it to the next vehicle. There was a Bronco that took the line to the left which is less steep but a bit tippy. Going off the fall straight usually damages your rear bumper unless you have a hitch extender.
I appreciate the additional insight and recommendation to watch Lite Brite's Jeep Safari of this trail. After watching, I agree that straps would have been needed for my friend's 2dr JL and it would've been a very challenging work for our 4 dr rigs. On that day, it was fun watching the side by side tackle this obstacle and perhaps on our next trip we'll work up the nerves to do it ourselves.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncoepic

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to watch ! Noob here, what are the "balls" for ? do they aid in line of sight or something?
I'm glad you enjoyed watching the video and I appreciate the feedback. If you're referring to the balls that are attached to the @EIGHTLUG AR's BAM BYODR (Bring Your Own Device Rail), they are to mount arms for various accessories. I purchased these balls from Amazon prior to AR (Archetype Racing) releasing their own version. I highly recommend the BYODR if you have a need to mount your phone and/or any other devices (i.e. GoPro, etc).

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate the feedback and will incorporate the request into future videos. I try to call it out when I'm engaging the functions. However, if I missed it I can easily put up text to let you guys know.
that works!!!!

Stitchxp626

Black Diamond
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 2006
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm glad you enjoyed watching the video and I appreciate the feedback. If you're referring to the balls that are attached to the @EIGHTLUG AR's BAM BYODR (Bring Your Own Device Rail), they are to mount arms for various accessories. I purchased these balls from Amazon prior to AR (Archetype Racing) releasing their own version. I highly recommend the BYODR if you have a need to mount your phone and/or any other devices (i.e. GoPro, etc).
Thank you !

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We did Steel Bender on Bronco Safari in May but we ran it backwards. Fun trail. We have a badlands on 37s. Thanks for the vid!

OP
OP
broncoepic

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We did Steel Bender on Bronco Safari in May but we ran it backwards. Fun trail. We have a badlands on 37s. Thanks for the vid!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Seems like a lot of folks had a great time at the Bronco Safari.
Sponsored