First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is it over used? It’s a performance off-road variant. None of them are watered down and there’s only 3. F150, Bronco and Ranger. The global market Ranger Raptor save for the engine is a beast. Saying it’s meaningless is like saying the Shelby name is meaningless.
Carrol made it meaningless when he sold out to Dodge k-cars and every other cash grab since.

vr00m_vr00m

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Corolla, 93 G20, 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Color me surprised I didn't have the new Ranger showing up for another two years.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know that I would put the Raptor name on the same level as the Shelby name. Ford, properly, reserved the Shelby name to the Mustang and only the Mustang. It did not allow its marketing folks to spread it across its car lines. Ford is not alone in this, too many businesses have a success with a certain marketing campaign and then attempt to apply it across their other product lines, which makes it less unique. Just months ago there was just the F150 Raptor, then just recently the Bronco Raptor (formerly Warthog) was announced, and now we have the Ranger Raptor coming. Dilution effect. Will not be surprised when we see an Explorer Raptor and Expedition Raptor, and of course, they will probably have a Bronco Sport Raptor. And, of course, we have Tricky Dick's Transit Raptor. Without a doubt, Raptor is a honorable name with serious, impressive specs behind it, but would think Ford can let those specs speak for themselves and give each vehicle line a unique identifier associated with those amazing specs.
I think the dilution effect is more about the quality than the quantity. Even when quality is a subjective measure. For example: As long as Raptor means a specific set of well known chassis upgrades (sorry powertrain fanboys, its about the chassis) that elevate the vehicle performance to a whole new class, the name will carry meaning. This should be limited to products where such upgrades make sense. So far the Ranger, Bronco, and F-150 are all very obvious candidates.

Contrast this with ST. ST used to mean something specific. Along with unique suspension tuning and tires, you got a manual transmission. This (perhaps not practically) could have been applied to every car and nobody would complain if they were all sporty manuals! But sadly over time ST just became a generic trim with much more ambiguous upgrades. Not trying to say the Explorer ST isn't fast or sporty but everyone knows it is just the next gen Explorer Sport and shares none of the original ST character. The focus ST was about fun over outright performance, the RS was where the top performance was in that model. Rebranding ST to be the generic top performance trim of every crossover/SUV was real dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.