Sponsored

Raptor for Overlanding and Towing Camper Trailer?

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody have experience or seen/read how the Raptor would perform Overlanding and towing a Patriot Camper style overlanding trailer? Example pic attached.

I'm wondering if a Raptor would be better suited to tow a loaded trailer like this that would exceed 3000lbs along with gear in the Bronco as well versus using a 2.7L Badlands Sasquatch.

Patriot-X1-feature.jpg

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raptor's tow rating is 4500 lbs versus the Badlands's tow rating of ~3300 lbs. So... theoretically Raptor would be better for towing. That said, the payload ratings on both the Raptor and the Badlands are very low since the vehicle is packed with so much off-roading tech (like the disconnecting sway bar). So don't expect to be able to build a crazy awesome overlanding build with the Badlands or Raptor trims.

If you are going to do an overlanding build... I'd probably start with a Big Bend or a Black Diamond with the Sasquatch package. The 2.7L Big Bend, for example, actually has ~350 pounds MORE payload capacity than the Badlands and Raptor in its base configuration.

(Plus if you get a cheaper Bronco you can spend more money on other overlanding goodies.)

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I plan on towing a small camper and use that as a base for day out back trips. I was going to do the same with the BL, but now the Raptor has a bit more wiggle room and has an actual tow mode.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I plan on towing a small camper and use that as a base for day out back trips. I was going to do the same with the BL, but now the Raptor has a bit more wiggle room and has an actual tow mode.
As @RagnarKon said, watch your GVWR. If you're planning to load way up on payload (like @Inlinejohn) then you'll run out of allowable weight for your tongue, which will restrict how much you can tow irrespective of tow capacity. Remember that at all given times you need to be under both GVWR and GCWR.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As @RagnarKon said, watch your GVWR. If you're planning to load way up on payload (like @Inlinejohn) then you'll run out of allowable weight for your tongue, which will restrict how much you can tow irrespective of tow capacity. Remember that at all given times you need to be under both GVWR and GCWR.
I actually have a tongue scale and know what I am doing so depending on what the payload sticker I can calculate payload allowance. I usually use 11-12% for tongue weight with WDH which is within the rule of thumb of 10-13%. Either way at least with the Raptor theres more acceptable wiggle room and I would have no issues going over as long as I was within limits of the hitch itself.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I actually have a tongue scale and know what I am doing so depending on what the payload sticker I can calculate payload allowance. I usually use 11-12% for tongue weight with WDH which is within the rule of thumb of 10-13%. Either way at least with the Raptor theres more acceptable wiggle room and I would have no issues going over as long as I was within limits of the hitch itself.
A tongue scale is a great idea

AlexInSD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LR3, '21 BadSquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why I opted for the Braptor - more towing and the hard top for overlanding. I have a 4-door badlands/sasquatch now and it tows OK but I still want the additional capacity. I have to be really careful with my trailer weight and balance and the only option to stop the squat is coil inserts... The braptor was built last week, so now it's a waiting game. As soon as it shows up I'll do some testing.

Ford Bronco Raptor for Overlanding and Towing Camper Trailer? IMG_1312

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I opted for the Braptor - more towing and the hard top for overlanding. I have a 4-door badlands/sasquatch now and it tows OK but I still want the additional capacity. I have to be really careful with my trailer weight and balance and the only option to stop the squat is coil inserts... The braptor was built last week, so now it's a waiting game. As soon as it shows up I'll do some testing.

what is your trailer weight?

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the exact trailer\rig I was working towards. Any feedback on how this has worked for you? Have you gone anywhere off grid to get some real world testing?

computertom

Raptor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'80 911SC, '22 Raptor, & '22 R1T
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Would love to hear more here also. The towing on the Raptor is a big plus for me that our present rig is weak on. That extra 1,000 is huge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think my conclusion is the Raptor might have the numbers for towing but the suspension is not setup for towing and I don’t want to spend the money of a Raptor and then rip the suspension out and spend more to make it Overlanding friendly. Part of the lure to buy a Raptor is savings from suspension upgrade. The Badlands needs it for Overlanding.

Overlander22

Badlands
First Name
jt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2wd/2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think my conclusion is the Raptor might have the numbers for towing but the suspension is not setup for towing and I don’t want to spend the money of a Raptor and then rip the suspension out and spend more to make it Overlanding friendly. Part of the lure to buy a Raptor is savings from suspension upgrade. The Badlands needs it for Overlanding.
Let us know which direction you go if you upgrade the BL suspension. I'm waiting on a 2dr for towing an off-road teardrop and rear squat is my main concern.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It would be more comfortable from a ride, capability and confidence perspective until you pull up to the gas pump, hit a longer range trail, or a trail with narrow obstacales or mountain ledge roads.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Post a review of you do this, I'm interested in knowing the realistic/safe limits.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well after being told I could only get a Raptor if I were “chosen”, I opted to continue with the BL path. I’m waiting for OME BP-51 kit to come to market and then will choose between OME, KING, FOX
Sponsored