Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far from what I can tell all of the comparison specs appear to show the difference between the Raptor and the base model, I only assume that because they want to emphasis the biggest numbers they can. Because it's marketing.

So let's look at a couple numbers against the Badlands instead:

Track: 73.6 vs Badsquatch 66.9
Ground Clear: 13.1 vs Badsquatch 11.8
Width (mirrors folded): 85.7 vs Badsquatch 79.3

I have a feeling a Badsquatch won't look tiny next to a Raptor but can't wait to see it!

2022-ford-bronco-raptor-chassis-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be nice if they did something that actually addressed the steering weaknesses, especially with the increased tie rod angle and leverage forces that come with 37's. All they did do is add thicker rod ends, but the thin threaded adjusting point on the shaft is still the weak point. They added ribbing to the rack housing to make it more rigid, but didn't make any internal changes. The ribbing strength will be offset by the fact that they switched from a solid mounting point between the rack housing and chassis to a rubber isolator mount. This change was to focus on helping with articulation, by allowing the rack housing to float.

One upshot of the Raptor version over the regulars, is Fords acknowledgement of the structural weakness of not having the cross support in the sports cage for the sake of back seat passengers being able to see more clouds. Unfortunately, the rear support restricts more airspace in the cargo area than the rear speakers already do, while also acting like a choke point for those looking to make the most of the rear cubic footage. That makes me wonder what affect that has on storing the doors in the back.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice if they did something that actually addressed the steering weaknesses, especially with the increased tie rod angle and leverage forces that come with 37's. All they did do is add thicker rod ends, but the thin threaded adjusting point on the shaft is still the weak point. They added ribbing to the rack housing to make it more rigid, but didn't make any internal changes. The ribbing strength will be offset by the fact that they switched from a solid mounting point between the rack housing and chassis to a rubber isolator mount. This change was to focus on helping with articulation, by allowing the rack housing to float.

One upshot of the Raptor version over the regulars, is Fords acknowledgement of the structural weakness of not having the cross support in the sports cage for the sake of back seat passengers being able to see more clouds. Unfortunately, the rear support restricts more airspace in the cargo area than the rear speakers already do, while also acting like a choke point for those looking to make the most of the rear cubic footage. That makes me wonder what affect that has on storing the doors in the back.
My assumption is that they may have increased the functional angles on the tie rod end to accommodate the increase wheel travel. Given the issues with the base models there's no way they didn't address the steering more than we can see.

How do you know they didn't make any internal changes?

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The raptor will do just fine right next to the bronco r and the f.e in my collection..

Sponsored

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The raptor will do just fine right next to the bronco r and the f.e in my collection..
Damn!! Can’t hide $$. Isn’t the R going for like $200K?

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn!! Can’t hide $$. Isn’t the R going for like $200K?
Something like that but I'll see what the price is when my dealer sell it to me.Im thinking more like 220 to 240...

Last edited:

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My assumption is that they may have increased the functional angles on the tie rod end to accommodate the increase wheel travel. Given the issues with the base models there's no way they didn't address the steering more than we can see.

How do you know they didn't make any internal changes?
A video interview with one of the Ford performance team members, who specifically stated what I was simply reiterating.

Skip to the 30 minute mark, which is about the beginning of the interview that is centered around the rolling chassis. Another sorta questionable part is the end, when the guy shows the little straps that they credit the additional 1k lb towing increase to.

The 1st interview includes the floss over about how the b-pillar cross bar all of a sudden doesn't do much to impeding rear passenger view.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bet that felt good to get off your chest lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A video interview with one of the Ford performance team members, who specifically stated what I was simply reiterating.

Skip to the 30 minute mark, which is about the beginning of the interview that is centered around the rolling chassis. Another sorta questionable part is the end, when the guy shows the little straps that they credit the additional 1k lb towing increase to.

The 1st interview includes the floss over about how the b-pillar cross bar all of a sudden doesn't do much to impeding rear passenger view.
I haven't seen that video yet.

I giggled when I saw the straps yesterday. Yeah, right!

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice if they did something that actually addressed the steering weaknesses, especially with the increased tie rod angle and leverage forces that come with 37's. All they did do is add thicker rod ends, but the thin threaded adjusting point on the shaft is still the weak point. They added ribbing to the rack housing to make it more rigid, but didn't make any internal changes. The ribbing strength will be offset by the fact that they switched from a solid mounting point between the rack housing and chassis to a rubber isolator mount. This change was to focus on helping with articulation, by allowing the rack housing to float
Just because he didn't mention a change to the internals you can't assume they didn't. I watched the video and at one point he mentions the beefed up internals (31:30 timestamp) but then corrects himself to say the outer case as he points to the outer case. But we can't take this as gospel as it's an interview and not scripted. I'd like to see further documentation before confirming the construction of the rack.

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just because he didn't mention a change to the internals you can't assume they didn't. I watched the video and at one point he mentions the beefed up internals (31:30 timestamp) but then corrects himself to say the outer case as he points to the outer case. But we can't take this as gospel as it's an interview and not scripted. I'd like to see further documentation before confirming the construction of the rack.
The fact that he made it a point to double back on himself and clarify that he was referring to the housing and not the internals seemed very clear to me. No, it's not the same as seeing a parts breakdown on both the regular and Raptor racks, but it was still quite telling. He's obviously not just a salesman reading a brochure, like the guy in the 1st interview, but he seemed to have intimate knowledge of all the mechanicals so why wouldn't he specifically mention an additional upgrade in strength. He covered the thicker diameter tie rods and it's new rubber isolator mounting method, to help with the flex limitations that come with ifs, so why leave out the source of one of the most prevailing issues. There's been too many failures with vehicles that weren't even being pushed as much as what's seen in the Ford ads, for him to chose that one thing to forget.

Also, any other information from other sources are repeatedly limiting the steering upgrades to the tie rods.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sincerely sorry for the “disrespectful/insulting behavior” that I displayed on this thread. I will take some time to think about what I’ve done, and who I’ve hurt.
Sponsored