Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

Kel

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kelechi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Chevy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Claymore
Sponsored

DrewM

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JKU Sahara, '12 IS350, '79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We've had rats dining in our engine bays of our Jag and Lexus. Gets expensive. Insurance will help. We've tried electronics, mothballs, mint spray. Nothing works. I find rat poop on all the devices and treated areas. Trapping them before they get in seems the most effective.
I run marketing for a company that makes rodent and pest exclusion products. In the course of our product development we've consulted with multiple rodentologists and done a bunch of our own testing and as @carreatime discovered, repellants are for the most part ineffective. Some may have a short term effect as rats are generally neophobic but once they get used to it it's game on again. The only sure things are trapping them before they get in or putting up a physical barrier that they can't chew through, climb over or dig under. This is what our stuff does but we are primarily focused on keeping them out of structures (houses, apartments, warehouses, etc.).

We are constantly contacted by people asking if we have a solution for their cars and trucks but it's not something we do at the moment.

The one thing I've seen that looks like it might actually be effective is this (i have no actual experience with their product and can't vouch for the efficacy beyond my experience in the industry) https://www.thegridguard.com/automobile-rodent-control . Basically puts an electric fence like grid around your car. Just don't get out of the car with bare feet!

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

with an actual Honda part number
Ford Bronco Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title). 1631063560476

Caltec

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette Grand Sport, 2021 Bronco 2dr OB SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just returned from the dealer after finding out that my engine problem was caused by rodents eating my wiring harness. Bronco ran great yesterday but had several warnings for failed systems this morning. New engine harness is 2k and not covered by warranty, but I should only have to pay my deductible on my insurance. Saves me at least 1.5K out of pocket. First time I have had this problem in 58years of car ownership and at least 50 different vehicles.
Sponsored