Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

BL2.7SAS4DR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a good excuse to lift your Bronco even higher.
Sponsored

the blue potato

Wildtrak
First Name
Mr. Gone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi Folks,

Took our first trip in the Bronco up to my in-laws property that is in the high-desert mountains outside San Diego. Pretty remote area and around 4500ft elevation. One issue they have always had is rats chewing up soft bits in the engine compartment of their cars.

Well, this morning I came out and saw that I had a visitor in my engine bay as well. They chewed up the soft liner outside of the battery, and also a bit of a label on a wiring harness (pics attached). Nothing serious, but I think I got lucky that it was very minimal.

For those of you that live in area where this is a problem, what are the best products/strategies to avoid this?

I've heard leaving the hood up helps, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

PXL_20210906_190736243.jpg

PXL_20210906_190730423.jpg
Pick up some peppermint spray (yes, peppermint) and spray down engine bay, looms etc. Worked for us immediately and it smells great. Found ours on amazon.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Folks,

Took our first trip in the Bronco up to my in-laws property that is in the high-desert mountains outside San Diego. Pretty remote area and around 4500ft elevation. One issue they have always had is rats chewing up soft bits in the engine compartment of their cars.

Well, this morning I came out and saw that I had a visitor in my engine bay as well. They chewed up the soft liner outside of the battery, and also a bit of a label on a wiring harness (pics attached). Nothing serious, but I think I got lucky that it was very minimal.

For those of you that live in area where this is a problem, what are the best products/strategies to avoid this?

Thanks!

Tell them to spread some Decon rat poison

Last edited:

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will give you a real world example of the moth ball trick working. When I was stationed in Germany and working at the Auto Skills Center (Hobby Shop), our Chief came in and his car was acting weird. Had him pop the hood and the plug wires were misfiring. Checked them and two of the four were chewed through. In Germany there are a species of weasels known as martens and they love the rubber under the hood on vehicles. He put some moth balls in a knee-high stocking and tie wrapped it under the hood and no more chewing. I believe the issue today is base material in the wiring covers that is not rubber because vehicle manufacturers have switched to plant based and biodegradable materials made to be recycled. Try the moth balls, it is inexpensive and it does work. Good Luck!

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bounce Dryer sheets. Work surprisingly well. Just stuff one around the perimeter and they work great! I used to do this for my Mustang during winter storage and boats we had.

Sponsored

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Almost sad to admit...
This is now by far one of our best threads on the forum. No whining directed at Ford. No ego bull****. Interesting to see the solutions shared to fight varmint and vermin damage. Will likely enlist all of them to some extent.
Live Free and die rodents?!

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Christmas string lights worked for the desert packrats on my RV. Just string them around all the points they can climb up (tires and jacks) and slap a timer on it. Packrats generally are nocturnal and won't go near lights at night due to fear of being seen and eaten. Up to you if you want to sing any carrolls as well :)

Carreratime

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, '68 Alfa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've had rats dining in our engine bays of our Jag and Lexus. Gets expensive. Insurance will help. We've tried electronics, mothballs, mint spray. Nothing works. I find rat poop on all the devices and treated areas. Trapping them before they get in seems the most effective.

Attachments

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seen a few suggestions of spraying some sort of mint.
Has anyone tried planting mint around the garage or wherever it's parked?

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cats or terriers. Naturally effective
Absolutely. Our new neighbors cat took care of our mole problem. He kicks total ass.

Sponsored

WARPIG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 17 F350, 05 Jeep LJ, 06 Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ok guys. We have this problem with squirrels in Central Texas. My wife hits the outside vehicles with coyote urine scent once a month. Works a charm. Don't know the brand
How do you keep all the dogs in the neighborhood from peeing on your cars?

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We've had rats dining in our engine bays of our Jag and Lexus. Gets expensive. Insurance will help. We've tried electronics, mothballs, mint spray. Nothing works. I find rat poop on all the devices and treated areas. Trapping them before they get in seems the most effective.
good lord!!!!! thats a possum!!!!! lol, huge!

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Almost sad to admit...
This is now by far one of our best threads on the forum. No whining directed at Ford. No ego bull****. Interesting to see the solutions shared to fight varmint and vermin damage. Will likely enlist all of them to some extent.
Live Free and die rodents?!
A common enemy will always unite the oppresed

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd hang a dead rat from the bottom of the engine bay with a little sign that says "You've Been Warned" so that all his little rat friends know not to enter :p
Sponsored