Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lights!

Around here, people with pack rat problems leave on a light either IN the engine bay or under it. And yes, the hood up helps, too, especially with lights. You can even buy expensive lights at the hardware store specifically designed for that.

Also, most comprehensive insurance covers the damage done by pack rats, so if it is a common problem, you may want to lower your deductible.

And to all the people who recommended cats and terriers, that's probably a good idea in a garage, but you can't really have small outdoor pets in the areas around here with pack rats. Those areas also have bobcats and coyotes who frequently eat small pets that are outside.😞
Circle of life.
Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mount a rat trap in that area

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More aggressive, and a lot bigger. Pika are like big rats. Marmots are like really big rats - up to two feet long and ten pounds in weight. On popular trails, they'll literally try to steal food out of your pack or even your hand while you're eating.
Evil Rats. Sounds like the Brakleen or cayenne ideas are the best bet. I wonder if something like bear mace would deter them?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trunk Monkey! 😀 Spray the undercarriage with cat-nip! All kidding aside, outside of parking in a garage I got nothin.
LMFAO at the trunk monkey comment! That brings back some laughs….

Sponsored

Bd2008

Big Bend
First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7 dodge Ram Merc cls500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok guys. We have this problem with squirrels in Central Texas. My wife hits the outside vehicles with coyote urine scent once a month. Works a charm. Don't know the brand

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Evil Rats. Sounds like the Brakleen or cayenne ideas are the best bet. I wonder if something like bear mace would deter them?
I've heard of people using cayenne pepper with good results, but I've never tried it myself.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok guys. We have this problem with squirrels in Central Texas. My wife hits the outside vehicles with coyote urine scent once a month. Works a charm. Don't know the brand
What a woman. Texas you are blessed.

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not that this will help when parked outside but I just thought this group may appreciate this. European cars are notorious for having the wiring eaten by rodents. I had heard that the European Union passed a law that required car manufacturers to use more green products so they thought it would be a good idea to use a soy based insulation for the wiring. Don’t know if it is true but makes a good story. What I do know is that I have heard a bunch if horror stories of very expensive repairs to Mercedes wiring harnesses. A few years back I finally bought my dream vehicle (4x4 van). Knowing that it was going to be spending a lot of time in the barn with the bats and mice I came up with this.
Ford Bronco Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title). D27373D9-5FD3-4F1D-8865-90AF9723E32E
My wife thought I was absolutely nuts but 4 years later not a single mouse or bat poop in or on my van. 😂

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in pack rat country and have an expensive motorhome parked outside. I use dryer sheets and Fresh Cab inside and in all the storage bays. I also use rat deterrent pellets that I spread underneath. I refresh all three every 3 - 4 months.

On top of that I have four MouseBlocker Pro ultrasonic rodent deterrents. One in the engine compartment, one in the generator compartment, one inside and one in the storage bays. These require 120v and have flashing LEDs.

Lastly, I have a bait station against a rock wall at the back of the motorhome. I think the bait station is the most effective.

On top of all that, we had a bobcat move into the area last spring and since then we’re seeing almost no rat or mouse poop around the house and the rabbit population has seriously declined.

To date I haven’t had any mice or rats in the motorhome in over a year.

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in the high desert of So Cal north of LA. Mice and Rats have disabled and damaged all of my cars/trucks and 2 ATVS over the 34 years here and there I have lived here. I HATE THEM. They have cost me $2000 or more in repairs including just a couple moths ago..
Here is what I have found that works from research and experimentation:
  1. Bounce dryer sheets stuffed in places under the hood where they cannot catch fire, the mice and rats hate the smell. Bunch several together at a time and stuff them everywhere especially next to wires, like computer cables. Change out every 1-2 months.
  2. Leave the hood open part way and block it with a piece of wood, etc. Just 6-12" is good.
  3. Wrap vital wiring with extra electrical tape. They chew the wires to get to the copper and sharpen their teeth. Especially computer cable wires.
  4. I use some flashy things that upset them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PYWBW3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. Block the airbox (they love the one in my Duramax) with a small piece of plywood, They have nested and had babies in mine.
  6. Set traditional external traps around the vehicles, bait them with peanut butter smeared into cotton from cotton balls. Mice are very clever they can lick the PB off a trap and never set it off. When cotton in mixed in they tend to pull on it and set the trap off more often. JMO.
Good luck I have been fighting these bastards for years. If you don't drive the vehicle often then start it every few days for 10 minutes to make it hot and help keep them out.

Hank

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, I think the soy based wiring insulation is less of an issue than people think. Not that rats don’t like it but bears and rodents like to chew on petroleum based products and I’ve seen this in cabin wiring in Alaska and have also seen plastic boat paddles that got chewed to nothing over the winter.

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Phosgene gas... LOL

Sticky glue traps where they are likely to start the climb up.
Sponsored