Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just installed the RCI gas tank skid for my 4 door Big Bend bronco! Fits great! No complaints. They have good instructions so if you follow them to the T, it’s a straightforward install. It took me about 3 hours doing it solo but I was taking my time. My weekends has been busy, so I haven’t been out wheeling with them yet but the weight of the aluminum(they have a steel option as well) ones didn’t change the day to day driving characteristics from the extra weight at all.

Ford Bronco RCI gas tank skid installed! E308CC56-F926-408F-96BE-4D3D3D8F3EC6
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just installed the RCI gas tank skid for my 4 door Big Bend bronco! Fits great! No complaints. They have good instructions so if you follow them to the T, it’s a straightforward install. It took me about 3 hours doing it solo but I was taking my time. My weekends has been busy, so I haven’t been out wheeling with them yet but the weight of the aluminum(they have a steel option as well) ones didn’t change the day to day driving characteristics from the extra weight at all.

Ford Bronco RCI gas tank skid installed! E308CC56-F926-408F-96BE-4D3D3D8F3EC6
Looks good! These would be the same exact skids we'd install if we were getting a Bronco.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice!!!! I just installed my RCI front section skids and my Fuel Tank skid is arriving Friday :)

I got the Steel Black powder Coated ones. Although it is heavier, 100+ lbs isn't going to make a difference in handing dynamics when it's that down low in the vehicle's center of gravity. Nice look on the Aluminum for sure!! :)

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was thinking about going with steel package on the RCI but thought I would go with aluminum on gas tank skid to save a little weight. Is this a good idea? It would only save 30# I think?

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice!!!! I just installed my RCI front section skids and my Fuel Tank skid is arriving Friday :)

I got the Steel Black powder Coated ones. Although it is heavier, 100+ lbs isn't going to make a difference in handing dynamics when it's that down low in the vehicle's center of gravity. Nice look on the Aluminum for sure!! :)
Did you get the RCI skids installed? How was it? Any pictures? I am thinking about order the RCI steel skids and looking for some input.

Sponsored

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you get the RCI skids installed? How was it? Any pictures? I am thinking about order the RCI steel skids and looking for some input.
Yes. I love mine. I have the powder coated steel version. From Front Engine Guard all the way back to the Fuel Tank Skid. Depending on how you off-road, if you are going to likely be rock-crawling I would definitely get the steel version. Otherwise you can get the Aluminum one and save 50% in weight. It's a lot. I mean the weight does sit low on the vehicle....but I DID feel it the first time I drove off with it. Then you get used to it in one day :) But I also have a Pedal Commander and that helped a lot :)

I don't have better pics than the website does as we did the install on my friend's driveway. no space to take a good shot. But I did a LOT of research and for the money, the way it is designed and well thought out - I HIGHLY recommend getting this one.

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes. I love mine. I have the powder coated steel version. From Front Engine Guard all the way back to the Fuel Tank Skid. Depending on how you off-road, if you are going to likely be rock-crawling I would definitely get the steel version. Otherwise you can get the Aluminum one and save 50% in weight. It's a lot. I mean the weight does sit low on the vehicle....but I DID feel it the first time I drove off with it. Then you get used to it in one day :) But I also have a Pedal Commander and that helped a lot :)

I don't have better pics than the website does as we did the install on my friend's driveway. no space to take a good shot. But I did a LOT of research and for the money, the way it is designed and well thought out - I HIGHLY recommend getting this one.

Thanks, I had pretty much made up my mind to get RCI steel black powered coated. I have had 2 sets already on FJ and GX460 so they make good stuff. There is just not much feedback on Bronco RCI stuff yet. I do either Moab or Colorado every year so I need steel, my FJ steel was scratched up pretty bad from Moab but I was only on 33s.

My new Bronco here got rid of the 2 door silver one.

Ford Bronco RCI gas tank skid installed! 0

meh

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How was the strapping process? I didn’t realize I needed to support the tank while installing when I ordered it, I assumed I could just bolt it over….

Im semi nervous about the install now. Did you use a lift?

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How was the strapping process? I didn’t realize I needed to support the tank while installing when I ordered it, I assumed I could just bolt it over….

I removed my gas skid today for a different type of project. Just loosen all of the bolts about 3/4 out then fish the tip of a ratchet strap between the tank and skid. I stapled the strap to a long and very sturdy zip tie which allowed my to push it through very easily. One at the front, one at the back. Just find some frame spots that will allow the straps a clean path.

I was able to lie underneath the skid with my legs applying pressure, remove the last couple bolts, let the weight down gently. The one bolt up above the driveshaft required socket extensions.

Oh and get the gas as low as possible. I think I'm under 1/8th tank right now.

meh

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine doesn’t have the factory one - so I’ll just need to remove the factory straps first.

Sponsored

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Just make sure gas tank is almost empty the lighter the better. I just used my floor Jack and a 2x4 to hold up gas tank it’s not very heavy. My wife did give me a hand also.

ssmegapunish

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Lightning, 2021 F350DRW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put the full steel RCI plate set on my Wildtrak. Seem to be holding up well to the salt they bathe I-25 in Colorado with all the time. Can't say I noticed much if any difference due to weight but the Bronco was already a slow heavy brick. I still average 20-21 MPG in the semi-hilly front range terrain daily driving 160 miles a day on the interstate.

For the install, I'm not a pro at all and had no issues bolting them on without a lift by myself. Like others have said, just used a floor jack to position the plates and a couple ratchet straps to hold up the tank. When you have the tank skid bolted up loosely you can release the ratchet and pull the strap out from under the plate and then tighten things up. Easy enough to do in an afternoon.

OP
OP
unfortunate

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it’s intimidating at first but it’s not that bad. I’ve attached some pics of different points I used the ratchet strap to hold the tank before removing the factory brace. Like someone mentioned just run you tank near empty before doing it. If you’re doing it by yourself like me you definitely want a jack to help hold the skid up so you can get some bolts started. Another tip is to make sure you put the ratchet strap side where it makes sense so that when you bolt the RCI skid up you can take the strap apart and be able to just pull the strap through and not get stuck by the hooks and strap itself.