Sponsored

RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set?

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed a set of RCV Performance CV axles for M210/sasquatch (CVJIFS-BRONCO-S).

They were smooth in 2H, but in 4A they had severe issues on test drive. I think they were binding internally with loud thumping and extreme vibration under load. It was intermittent, but very repeatable (would always start thumping after cornering). I reinstalled the stock axles and the problem went away. I have Icon coilovers (~2.5").

I tried to contact RCV Performance, but no response so far (2 days).
Update: I finally heard back from RCV Performance. They offered no explanation, but stated that my only option was to return them to where I bought them.

Has anyone successfully used the RCV axles for Bronco? I am wondering if I received a defective set, or if they are junk.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? IMG_1189.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested in this also.

Hell-J

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badquatch , Rock buggy, 2021 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear that, I have never ran RCV axles on my Bronco as it only has 82 current miles on it. However On both of my tube chassis rock crawlers one with LS3, Th400 and 42 inch stickies I have RCVs for the fronts and have never had an issue or broken one. It is important to note that keeping them well greased is very important. I have seen them come straight out of the box and need to be greased. I do know when to grease mine as they will start to make a clicking or a clunking noise as I’m taking take turns in four-wheel-drive with or without the front diff locked.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following as mine are set for delivery tomorrow, though I have no Bronco to install them into just yet :sneaky: .

Is there a grease port on them?
Hope RCV checks in with you soon.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would see if they are binding on the bench.
Not that I can tell. When they were installed, I could rotate tire and not feel anything weird. I think when under load they go nuts.

Following as mine are set for delivery tomorrow, though I have no Bronco to install them into just yet :sneaky: .

Is there a grease port on them?
Hope RCV checks in with you soon.
No grease port. Same as stock axles (sealed boots).

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like the joints are misaligned with each other. Maybe shafts are off a spline ir two or even 90%. That is if the splines don't have a dedicated wide slot to keep yhe u-joints aligned properly. Will work fine when all parts are straight or close to it but will bind when bent.

That's why chalk marking a driveshaft before separating any of its pieces is important, although these half shafts would have come fully assembled and "plugnplay"

You are not going to be able to determine the plane alignment of the u/cv joints without roving the rubber boots which will void your warranty on the shafts

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like the joints are misaligned with each other. Maybe shafts are off a spline ir two or even 90%. That is if the splines don't have a dedicated wide slot to keep yhe u-joints aligned properly. Will work fine when all parts are straight or close to it but will bind when bent.
Not following this statement.
Worked on numerous CV joints and have never seen joints mis-align to the shaft.
If the CV cage/star/balls were assembled correctly, they should work fine.

RCV claims higher CV angles are possible vs stock, so don't think the CV is over extended and binding.
@rtaylor RCV makes really good stuff. I haven't meet anyone yet who didn't say great things about them. You may have gotten something with a defect, but I'm sure the guys over there will take care of you.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

That's why chalk marking a driveshaft before separating any of its pieces is important, although these half shafts would have come fully assembled and "plugnplay"

You are not going to be able to determine the plane alignment of the u/cv joints without roving the rubber boots which will void your warranty on the shafts
CVs don't work that way. Your thinking of U-joints. More specifically you are thinking of the passenger side of the old "TTB". Ya, those you could clock wrong and get bad vibes. CVs it doesn't matter how they are clocked. To answer the OP's question i think absolutely he got a bad one. For the money they charge, I would expect they would exchange them no hassle.

ALCO44

Raptor
First Name
ALLEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I installed a set of RCV Performance CV axles for M210/sasquatch (CVJIFS-BRONCO-S).

They were smooth in 2H, but in 4A they had severe issues on test drive. I think they were binding internally with loud thumping and extreme vibration under load. It was intermittent, but very repeatable (would always start thumping after cornering). I reinstalled the stock axles and the problem went away. I have Icon coilovers (~2.5").

I tried to contact RCV Performance, but no response so far (2 days).
Update: I finally heard back from RCV Performance. They offered no explanation, but stated that my only option was to return them to where I bought them.

Has anyone successfully used the RCV axles for Bronco? I am wondering if I received a defective set, or if they are junk.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? IMG_1189.JPG
I am having the same problem with my passenger side axle

Sponsored
OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am having the same problem with my passenger side axle
Sorry to hear that. It was the driver-side on mine. Sounds like maybe a class problem. Mine are currently on their way to RCV for "inspection".

Last edited:

2bigbronco

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, I put my new shafts in 2 weeks ago and instantly noticed noise/clunking. It sounded mostly like the drivers side but I wasnt sure. I swapped the stock shafts back in and no noise. Sent them to RCV and they started working on the refund... in the mean time I ordered up another set and put them in yesterday. This set is also messed up.

Im starting to wonder if they just got a bad batch. Ive ran RCV in 10+ other crawlers throughout the years and have always been impressed by thier products and customer service.

20220702_133234.jpg

20220731_145703.jpg

2bigbronco

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hopefully the others in here will keep thier experience updated and ill try to do the same till we find a solution.

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting, I put my new shafts in 2 weeks ago and instantly noticed noise/clunking. It sounded mostly like the drivers side but I wasnt sure. I swapped the stock shafts back in and no noise. Sent them to RCV and they started working on the refund... in the mean time I ordered up another set and put them in yesterday. This set is also messed up.

Im starting to wonder if they just got a bad batch. Ive ran RCV in 10+ other crawlers throughout the years and have always been impressed by thier products and customer service.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 20220731_145703

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 20220731_145703
Not to hijack this thread, but that's a good looking setup. What wheels are those?

2bigbronco

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sidetracked off road. They are only $300/ but have to little backspacing at 3-3/4". The scrub radius makes the tire hit a little bit of everything. I have a new set of 5" backspaced racelines and 37x12.50 (instead of the 13.50s) cooper sst pros waiting to go on it.
Sponsored