Sponsored

RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set?

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure how many keep checking in, but I as well have been pinging them every month or so to get a status as I have had a long pending order. So far they have not been able to provide an ETA.
Sponsored

jdmstuff

Badlands
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried to order a set today and was told 12-16 week backorder

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried to order a set today and was told 12-16 week backorder
Dana Spicer Extreme axles are now available for M210 if you are willing to spend more $.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 1676327886413

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 1676332834671

Milk shot out my nose and I wasn't even drinking any! :D
That is for the M190 (not available). The M210 axles are available now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I put the Spicer M210 29 Splines in last week and they are coming out today. Popping, clunking, grease coming out of the boot. Spoke to the vendor I got them from and he said almost all the 29 splines they are getting reports of the same thing. Guess I'm going back to stock for now.

I came on here and searched for RCV's hoping they figured their crap out. Guess not. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put the M210 29 Splines in last week and they are coming out today. Popping, clunking, grease coming out of the boot. Spoke to the vendor I got them from and he said almost all the 29 splines they are getting reports of the same thing. Guess I'm going back to stock for now.
Was that the RCV or Spicer axles?

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Was that the RCV or Spicer axles?
My bad. Spicer 29 spline “extreme“ axles. Both were clunking/grinding and one had given up all together. Hopefully didn’t cause anymore damage

Sponsored

BroncoAW

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Fx4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm, this is interesting, I have had RCV’s on my Bronco since last June, I was part of the first run. I have the same issue. I bought directly from RCV. When I called them they told me to run them off road hard for 1000 miles. He said it was a common problem in other axles of theirs and that they just need to be broken in. I think now I have about 400/500 miles of hard wheeling with them, the noise has started to go away but still occurs once going into 4H and 4L, but not as bad as when they were first installed.

mspeter

Badlands
First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Badlands 7-spd, ‘20 F350 Dually, & 3x M422A1s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My bad. Spicer 29 spline “extreme“ axles. Both were clunking/grinding and one had given up all together. Hopefully didn’t cause anymore damage
Blowing out grease is bad news. Spicer CV shafts were on my list.

Can you elaborate on the ‘given up altogether‘ failure ?
where the joints still stiff or sloppy loose ?

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Blowing out grease is bad news. Spicer CV shafts were on my list.

Can you elaborate on the ‘given up altogether‘ failure ?
where the joints still stiff or sloppy loose ?
Sure thing. Install was easy enough. Spicer CV look good. The finish is good. The boots are thick and the clamps are quality. Very stiff but smooth on the workbench. I had high hopes for them. I test them right away. Slow in the yard first them up the road and back in both 2 and 4a. Seemed good to go.

Less than 100 miles after the install. was getting ready to leave for a 900 mile road trip, it was snowing here so I threw it in Sport 4a and immediate noticed the constant "Clunk clunk clunk clunk" from the CV's. I had my girlfriend come out and drive the bronco slowly in 4 wheel drive while I walked next to it and listened. Both sides were doing the same thing. With the trip coming up and needing 4 wheel drive to get over hill , I decided to rip them out and put the stocks back in.

That's when I noticed this on the Driverside.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 1677448334970

Jacked it up and spun the wheel by hand and could hear the telltale Clunk/Grind from a bad CV. Called the vendor I got them from and he was SUPER helpful and apologetic. Is going to send me a label to ship them back. Or I can wait to see if Spicer figures out the 29 splines which they know is an issue.

After uninstalling the driverside is probably wasted in my opinion but I'm not cutting it open and risking them taking them back.

Passenger side seemed fine but still had the clink clink clink when spinning the wheel by hand.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm, this is interesting, I have had RCV’s on my Bronco since last June, I was part of the first run. I have the same issue. I bought directly from RCV. When I called them they told me to run them off road hard for 1000 miles. He said it was a common problem in other axles of theirs and that they just need to be broken in. I think now I have about 400/500 miles of hard wheeling with them, the noise has started to go away but still occurs once going into 4H and 4L, but not as bad as when they were first installed.
Good to know. I had a little clicking at first but has all gone away. Sounded like the snap ring trying to seat.

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just bringing this back up. I talked to my RCV guy at KOH. I run RCVs on the race car also, just 4 times the size. He said end of march the new updated Bronco axles will be ready for shipping. I sent mine in a few weeks ago and should see some replacements soon.
Sponsored