Re-gear of rear differential for base + 33" tire upgrade

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
This may just be a terminology thing but there's no way the ring gear is welded to the differential. It may be welded to the CARRIER which keeps the ring gear and spider gears lined up inside the diff. But that entire assembly could be removed and replaced. Hell, looks like ARB already has an air locker (replaces the carrier) for the m210 and m220. May just need to wait for them to develop an install kit for the Bronco.

Edit: Doesn't look like there's an air locker for the m190 ... yet ....
Yeah, see, that's the issue here. There are a lot of terms thrown around in this business. "Carrier" is used for the entire pumpkin assembly, the differential assembly and also for the differential casing depending on who you talk to.

Even within Ford, the terms are mixed around. "Differential", however, usually refers to the assembly of carrier (casing), the internal gearing, washers, pin, etc. So it is the part that goes into the carrier (axle assembly), to which the ring gear attaches, and the axle shafts plug into. This part is called the differential because it is the component of the carrier (axle assy.) that actually allows differentiation to occur.

So, it gets confusing. I say all this as someone that actually designs, tests and sells limited slip differential assemblies to Ford. I've had to learn to listen closely to how the person I'm talking to uses the terms and respond in kind. Because, yeah, it can be confusing...

So in this case, the ring gears are welded to the open differentials instead of the traditional bolted connection. But the lockers keep their bolts. So, regearing an open diff axle is a good excuse to install an LSD or a locker, should they become available aftermarket. Because you'll have to replace the open assembly regardless.

OP
mC.242

mC.242

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Pathfinder
Clubs

Yeah, see, that's the issue here. There are a lot of terms thrown around in this business. "Carrier" is used for the entire pumpkin assembly, the differential assembly and also for the differential casing depending on who you talk to.

Even within Ford, the terms are mixed around. "Differential", however, usually refers to the assembly of carrier (casing), the internal gearing, washers, pin, etc. So it is the part that goes into the carrier (axle assembly), to which the ring gear attaches, and the axle shafts plug into. This part is called the differential because it is the component of the carrier (axle assy.) that actually allows differentiation to occur.

So, it gets confusing. I say all this as someone that actually designs, tests and sells limited slip differential assemblies to Ford. I've had to learn to listen closely to how the person I'm talking to uses the terms and respond in kind. Because, yeah, it can be confusing...

So in this case, the ring gears are welded to the open differentials instead of the traditional bolted connection. But the lockers keep their bolts. So, regearing an open diff axle is a good excuse to install an LSD or a locker, should they become available aftermarket. Because you'll have to replace the open assembly regardless.
Is the 4.46 used in the MT models also open? Why not make a LSD standard?

Apples

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing. Come On Bronco!!
They're relying on the traction control system rather than a mechanical LSD.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Anything not locking is open. Ford seems to have given up on LSDs in trucks, going back to the introduction of P552. My '13 F150 offered both LSD (which I have) or locker as options, but when the generation changed over, the LSD option disappeared. Ranger was introduced with the same choices, and Bronco follows suit. Ford only uses an LSD in Mustang anymore.

That's kind of too bad, because while the locker is pretty marketable (off road cred), the LSD is a better choice for 90% of buyers. The locker is essentially an open diff most of the time, certainly during daily driving. Traction control definitely helps, but its still reactive. It would work even better over an LSD...

Advertisement

Advertisement