Re: Removable Tops, ya' know, when you think about it....

If you owned a full size bronco (FSB) <78-96> Did you ever remove the top?

• Total voters

JAGSarge

Outer Banks
Staff member
First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So driving in this morning a FJ40 Land Cruiser passed me and I started to think about how we all (including myself) have remarked that a non-removable top is one of the features that doomed the Land Cruiser. And of course all of us remarked how the rendering did not have a removable top and if it didn't have one it wasn't a true Bronco, that it would be more akin to a Bronco II (Ouch!).

So yes, granted, all Broncos (w/ the exception of the II) had removable hard tops, all the way from 66 to 96.

Granted, Heeps have removable hard tops, but I read a comment on here just the other day that asked, "how often do you see a Heep w/ it's top off anyway?'

Then I started thinking some more (I have a loooong commute)....

How often do you see a FSB w/ it's top off? Early Bronco guys, well yeah. But 78 through 96, how often do you see a FSB w/ the top off?

I know on my 93 I had the top off more than on, but on my 95 I ended up selling it having never took the top off. For one, the FSB top was gigantic and HEAVY!!! And I was living in the barracks, where would I put it?

But is a non-removable hard top really a deal breaker? If you owned a FSB, did you ever remove the top? If the rendering gets made w/o a removable top, is it a deal breaker?

Jus' thinking . . .. ..

Advertisement

dhg1078

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Never had a Bronco, but a non-removable top isn't a big deal for me. I don't care for convertibles or anything like that, personally. A removable top just means there are more places to leak, more road noise, and more squeaks/rattles as the vehicle ages. It might effect the rigidity of the body as well.

That being said, I am positive many people love and use removable tops. I do see a couple jeeps every now and then without their tops, but I don't usually pay attention either.

Bronco Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2013 Raptor
I've Had 3 FSB 85 ,94 and 95. The tops were never off on any of them. My 70 and 77 were both topless. The looks of the FSB topless just didn't seam right as opposed to the first gen Bronco.

PrepVet

Outer Banks
First Name
K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Having owned YJ's, TJ's, JK's... if it had a hard top it stayed on. The soft tops I drop all the time. For me I don't have an issue with a non-removable top, I would like the idea but actually doing it... no thanks.

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
My JKU Hard Top was never removed when I lived in Vegas, but now that Im in Boise and have 70 degree days it comes off. The problem with the current JKU hard top is I can not take it off by myself. Its too large and awkward. So when I do take it off its with the intention of leaving it off for a week or more. Here I have summer weather that can support the top off for a week plus, Vegas not so much. I guess my point is I bet taking the top off is very regional. Also If the removable panels rumored on the new Bronco and Wrangler are true (where a single person can remove all of them quickly and store them in the vehicle) then I think your more likely to have people take the top off.

FL Trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
IMO any top that requires more than one person to remove isn't really a useful option. Years ago I bought a hardtop for wife's 3 series convertible thinking it was going to be awesome to convert the car to a coupe and then go droptop anytime. Needless to say I ended up selling it after a couple of uses. Just too much of a PITA to deal with needing two people (the other needing to be strong enough) to remove and install the top.

I did consider a winch system like this lol but at that point I just didn't want to deal with a big heavy top anymore.

bmw1-2.jpg

Valhalla

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Boulevrad
My Wife has a JKU sahara, It has the dual top option. This allows us to take off the hard top spring and fall and put on the rag top. Winter and summer she runs the hard top. It is awesome to have the best of both worlds.

HoosierDaddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 1968 Bronco, 2010 Legacy GT 1985 M1028 (Chevy
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Well, not a full sized Bronco, but I had a K5 Blazer that went toppless on occasion....
The EB goes topless very often,....when it ran..... :(

RSMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only Harley for now
My Wife has a JKU sahara, It has the dual top option. This allows us to take off the hard top spring and fall and put on the rag top. Winter and summer she runs the hard top. It is awesome to have the best of both worlds.
How much is the dual top option for the Wrangler? I agree with Bronco Bob above that the topless FSB just didn't look very good. i really hope they come out with some different hard/soft top options for the next Bronco but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if they come up with a good alternative.

P II

Reaction score
Website
www.[banned site].com
Vehicle(s)
1990 F.S. Bronco, '99 Suzuki GSX-R, Honda clone 50cc dirt cycle, wife's '04 Civic
I've taken my top off several times. But, it is heavy and without a secure location for storage it just isn't safe (tweekers will steal anything). I haven't taken it off for a couple of years now, especially because I fabbed up a rooftop carrier from a lightweight stainless steel palette. In the coming weeks I'll be mounting my light bar onto my carrier. Topless is great, but I'd prefer a sunroof in the top of the cab aft of where the rooftop visor will go.

Valhalla

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much is the dual top option for the Wrangler? I agree with Bronco Bob above that the topless FSB just didn't look very good. i really hope they come out with some different hard/soft top options for the next Bronco but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if they come up with a good alternative.
It's about 1800$ for the dual tops, I don't know if i like the idea of the "panels" for the roof. I have heard that jeep is changing the roof for 2018. My wife likes the idea of an easier roof to swap to soft top for when she wants the drop top option. It is a bit of a pain in the ass. the door pieces are the worst part if you've never put one on. they should have it where it is easier for a dual roof option.

Valhalla

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I would love to see a flat windshield that could lay down, but I think those days are gone I heard 2018 jeep won't lay down and to be honest the jk's look silly with that curved windshield when it's laid down.

Sharron Mac Donald

First Name
Sharron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Top or no top, I can't wait to test drive the Bronco. I owned a 1983 Bronco and loved it.

4Wheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Also, I would love to see a flat windshield that could lay down, but I think those days are gone I heard 2018 jeep won't lay down and to be honest the jk's look silly with that curved windshield when it's laid down.
Made worse by the curved hood. It will never look right but that's not the point. It's a feature that 0.0001% of the buyers use but respect for Jeep for offering it. Hope Ford knows the value in listening to enthusiasts.

Craigy

First Name
Craigy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX
Only see a JK Wrangler without a top once in a blue moon. And I see dozens of them every day on my commute and parked in lots. Around here, only roofless Wranglers are old models, and even a lot of of those have hard tops. Soft top Jeeps are pretty rare on dealer lots since most buyers don't want them.

Seriously, I'd bet half of the Jeep drivers around here don't even know the hard top comes off.

Only way I'd own one is with a hardtop. And in all honesty it would probably never come off. I'd prefer a fixed-roof vehicle if it was available.

Advertisement

Advertisement