First Name
Grayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford designed the tailgate so that the brackets inside the tailgate, that the hinge bolts screw into, can come undone and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. Keep in mind, there is no hatch or anything to get inside the tailgate besides the small holes that the bolts go through. If you take the hinge bolts out, the slightest pressure can cause the interior bracket to detach and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. It appears I'm the first victim of this terrible design flaw. I have no idea why Ford wouldn't just have a bracket with threads that are secured to the tailgate. This is not the only place with this design because I noticed it again when I took my front bumper off this summer and had a bolt hole thread bracket (sorry I'm not sure what they're called) detach and fall on my face as soon as I removed the bolt.

So I bought a tailgate reinforcement to accommodate my 37 inch spare tire. I originally tried to install it myself but realized I didn't have the right size tool because I stripped the upper hinge bolt head slightly. I took it to 4wp to have them put it on since they were already installing my lift kit. I picked up my bronco for them to tell me that the tailgate reinforcement could not be put on because I stripped the bolt hole thread inside the tailgate. It was obvious that I messed with it because the head of the bolt was stripped slightly. They said that the reinforcement bolts would not go through the thread of the bolt hole inside the tailgate. What I found weird, was the bolt that I slightly stripped was in a different location. It was originally in the upper hinge but I found it in the lower hinge. So that means they put another bolt in the hole that I supposedly stripped. Weeks later, I decided to try to put the reinforcement bracket on myself after getting the correct tool. I first tested to see if the reinforcement bolt would go through the hole that I apprently stripped and it went in just fine. I tested every hole individually and it went in fine. I then unscrewed the lower hinge bolts first and the bracket within the tailgate fell to the bottom of the tailgate. That was the first time I even touched the lower hinge. It was obvious that someone possibly put to much pressure on it causing the bracket to come off the back wall inside the tailgate. It took 2.5 hours to fish the bracket back up using a clothes hanger and get the bolts through it without it falling back down again. At the end, I did what 4wp said was impossible and I installed the tailgate reinforcement. They tried to tell me that I stripped the thread within the tailgate preventing the bolt from going through. This was false because the threads were fine. What actually happened was they most likely pressed so hard on the bolt that the bracket inside came loose. I guess they assumed I wouldn't go try to see for myself. I have no idea why Ford designed a bolt bracket that could come detached from the tailgate. But if you try intstalling a reinforcement yourself, know that the bracket inside could easily come loose and fall to the bottom with a little pressure.

Ford Bronco Read this before installing a tailgate reinforcement tailgate reinforce
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what your saying is 4WP sucks. Most people avoid them at all cost. The few time I have had dealings with them where terrible. Glad you were able to completed the install yourself.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the nut bracket is designed to float so you can align the tailgate if need be. Probably the same with the bumper.
I didn't have a problem like that with my reinforcement instal.
Kudos for fishing the bracket out like that. I don't even see how that is possible, but congrats!

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So what your saying is 4WP sucks. Most people avoid them at all cost. The few time I have had dealings with them where terrible. Glad you were able to completed the install yourself.
I ordered the Rock Slide Engineering EZ rack for my spare tire through 4WP. They called me when it arrived at their store. Drove 45min to find out the box was opened and the ratchet strap was missing. I asked them if it was normal procedure to open "ship to store" boxes. Their response "Good thing we did. Now you know the strap is missing". Yeah right! LOL. He ordered another one from a store back East. Ever notice that 2-4 business days to arrive? 10 days later, the same dude that supposedly ordered the new one claimed he didn't know anything about it and would look in the back. Nothing. I then canceled over the phone and he had the nerve to say "I'll have to run this by my manager and you might be charged a restocking fee". (I didn't get charged but WTAF?). This was 4WP in Sacramento on El Camino Ave. Lesson learned. Never again. And for those that continue using 4WP, NEVER ship to store unless you're getting it installed (good luck with that). Corporate sends the order to the local store, which in turn.......orders the part. And forget any support from corporate. All ship to store "customer service" (order status, cancelations, etc) is done through the local store.

To the point of this thread. I installed the JCROffroad Tailgate relo/reinforcement bracket. I did it solo and completely detached the tailgate from the hinges BUT the tailgate must be closed when doing this. I think this helps prevent the "inside brackets" from going anywhere. It worked fine for me. Just needed help to re-align the tailgate once the bracket was on. Also, you need a TORX PLUS for those badboys.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hammerbuilt has detailed instructions on avoiding just that. I managed to almost lose one anyway.

@gjennings12 whenver I see one of your posts I think of Greg Jennings, and the time he put da team on his back, doe.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hammerbuilt has detailed instructions on avoiding just that. I managed to almost lose one anyway.
I watched
Is definitely an easier way than I did:ROFLMAO:, whatever, it's done now.

My one takeaway from the video was when he mentions the sasquatch tire, I thought, how did assquatch never take off? Is the perfect typo

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford designed the tailgate so that the brackets inside the tailgate, that the hinge bolts screw into, can come undone and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. Keep in mind, there is no hatch or anything to get inside the tailgate besides the small holes that the bolts go through. If you take the hinge bolts out, the slightest pressure can cause the interior bracket to detach and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. It appears I'm the first victim of this terrible design flaw. I have no idea why Ford wouldn't just have a bracket with threads that are secured to the tailgate. This is not the only place with this design because I noticed it again when I took my front bumper off this summer and had a bolt hole thread bracket (sorry I'm not sure what they're called) detach and fall on my face as soon as I removed the bolt.

So I bought a tailgate reinforcement to accommodate my 37 inch spare tire. I originally tried to install it myself but realized I didn't have the right size tool because I stripped the upper hinge bolt head slightly. I took it to 4wp to have them put it on since they were already installing my lift kit. I picked up my bronco for them to tell me that the tailgate reinforcement could not be put on because I stripped the bolt hole thread inside the tailgate. It was obvious that I messed with it because the head of the bolt was stripped slightly. They said that the reinforcement bolts would not go through the thread of the bolt hole inside the tailgate. What I found weird, was the bolt that I slightly stripped was in a different location. It was originally in the upper hinge but I found it in the lower hinge. So that means they put another bolt in the hole that I supposedly stripped. Weeks later, I decided to try to put the reinforcement bracket on myself after getting the correct tool. I first tested to see if the reinforcement bolt would go through the hole that I apprently stripped and it went in just fine. I tested every hole individually and it went in fine. I then unscrewed the lower hinge bolts first and the bracket within the tailgate fell to the bottom of the tailgate. That was the first time I even touched the lower hinge. It was obvious that someone possibly put to much pressure on it causing the bracket to come off the back wall inside the tailgate. It took 2.5 hours to fish the bracket back up using a clothes hanger and get the bolts through it without it falling back down again. At the end, I did what 4wp said was impossible and I installed the tailgate reinforcement. They tried to tell me that I stripped the thread within the tailgate preventing the bolt from going through. This was false because the threads were fine. What actually happened was they most likely pressed so hard on the bolt that the bracket inside came loose. I guess they assumed I wouldn't go try to see for myself. I have no idea why Ford designed a bolt bracket that could come detached from the tailgate. But if you try intstalling a reinforcement yourself, know that the bracket inside could easily come loose and fall to the bottom with a little pressure.

Ford Bronco Read this before installing a tailgate reinforcement Screenshot_20230308-164230_Google
why wouldn't you put a bumper tire mount on? I thought those will take more weight, etc.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford designed the tailgate so that the brackets inside the tailgate, that the hinge bolts screw into, can come undone and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. Keep in mind, there is no hatch or anything to get inside the tailgate besides the small holes that the bolts go through. If you take the hinge bolts out, the slightest pressure can cause the interior bracket to detach and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. It appears I'm the first victim of this terrible design flaw.
Did you attempt to use one of the two large openings behind the spare tire carrier? :unsure:

Ford Bronco Read this before installing a tailgate reinforcement 651607DA-014A-4153-BEC0-CDE4CB085FB8

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched

My one takeaway from the video was when he mentions the sasquatch tire, I thought, how did assquatch never take off? Is the perfect typo
Agreed, I wish I would have seen their video when I installed my RC support a year ago.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

@gjennings12 whenver I see one of your posts I think of Greg Jennings, and the time he put da team on his back, doe.
The Hammerbuilt version is quite nice. I quite like it.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do this sh"t for Madden

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched

I wanna know about that sweet Pantera sitting on the lift...
I installed my HB pretty much how they did without watching the video. Luckily.
And the bracket looks pretty sharp in gloss black.

techdisaster

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have a hammer built on order and having this information might have saved my bacon.
Sponsored