First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whys is the mileage so bad on the Broncos- especially Sasquatch? I know it's a brick in the wind, etc, etc. It seems Wranglers are getting better MPG? (Other than 4xe, which is altogether different being a hybrid). Is it the drive train, engine efficiency, etc?

My 97 Wrangler gets around 17-18 and I am running 31" tires on it without proper gearing. I always thought it was just the gas guzzling six, brick in the wind and it's also a 25 year old vehicle/technology. I thought the 2.3 or 2.7 would be more of a modern, efficient engine?

My Sas with 2.7 is schedule to be built week of Jan. 17 and with my long work commute and weekend driving and with gas at a predicted 4.00 a gallon it's going to cost me at least $385/month. Sadly I might not be able to keep it- my income ratio has steadily dropped since the 70's- when I was able to afford driving 70's Broncos around......

I really wanted the Bronco for retirement........
Sounds like the math works in favor of retiring sooner to me.
Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm getting 15.3 according to the dash in my 1,000 miles.
I don't drive too crazy, and do a decent amount of freeway driving. Usually between 60-70mph.
This is on a 4 door, 2.7L, SAS, Badlands, with Soft Top.

OP
OP

gdgraph

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Whys is the mileage so bad on the Broncos- especially Sasquatch? I know it's a brick in the wind, etc, etc. It seems Wranglers are getting better MPG? (Other than 4xe, which is altogether different being a hybrid). Is it the drive train, engine efficiency, etc?

My 97 Wrangler gets around 17-18 and I am running 31" tires on it without proper gearing. I always thought it was just the gas guzzling six, brick in the wind and it's also a 25 year old vehicle/technology. I thought the 2.3 or 2.7 would be more of a modern, efficient engine?

My Sas with 2.7 is schedule to be built week of Jan. 17 and with my long work commute and weekend driving and with gas at a predicted 4.00 a gallon it's going to cost me at least $385/month. Sadly I might not be able to keep it- my income ratio has steadily dropped since the 70's- when I was able to afford driving 70's Broncos around......

I know 17 MPGs sounds bad, but for a heavy body on frame vehicle like a Bronco with big 35” tires and the necessary low gear ratio rear end, that’s actually really good. Big tires are heavy to rotate and they kill gas mileage. I’m comparing to the V6 Wranglers and 4Runners and they don’t do much better than 17 MPGs on stock 31s. I’ve ready dudes with BFG 33s (a heavy E rated tire) on a 4Runner getting 14-15 MPGs. Similar for a Wrangler. If you go on the Wrangler forum and look at what they get with 35s it’ll be in the low teens. I think the SAS being up at 17 is mainly attributed to the more efficient power train (turbo engine with plenty of torque paired with a 10 speed).

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know 17 MPGs sounds bad, but for a heavy body on frame vehicle like a Bronco with big 35” tires and the necessary low gear ratio rear end, that’s actually really good. Big tires are heavy to rotate and they kill gas mileage. I’m comparing to the V6 Wranglers and 4Runners and they don’t do much better than 17 MPGs on stock 31s. I’ve ready dudes with BFG 33s (a heavy E rated tire) on a 4Runner getting 14-15 MPGs. Similar for a Wrangler. If you go on the Wrangler forum and look at what they get with 35s it’ll be in the low teens. I think the SAS being up at 17 is mainly attributed to the more efficient power train (turbo engine with plenty of torque paired with a 10 speed).

I think a lot of fuel economy also comes from the super light weight Goodyear Territory tires. If you look at the weights of other tires in the same size they are a lot heavier. Everyone changing tire brands will probably see a 1-3mpg hit.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I, too, live in Florida so I have the ideal terrain for gas mileage (not counting traffic).

I went with the Badlands - no Sasquatch - so I am driving on 33's. 2.7 engine.

In the 2 weeks I've owned her, she has gone all over Orlando, to Clermont, to Tampa, to Titusville twice, and some dirt roads and mud puddles. Total mileage is at 986 miles and I am averaging 19.5 MPG.

I run Premium fuel, too.

Take that for what it is worth...

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the BL four door soft top with SASQ, which has 2500 miles. My average is consistently 20.5 mph. It’s about 50/50 street and country highway/freeway driving. I do not plan to do it indefinitely, but for curiosity I drive with start-stop, eco mode and maximize cruise control and remain within the speed limit. The best consistent highway speed mileage I got was over 23 mph, but that was a flat 55 mph area, and again maxing out cruise, which makes a big difference. I assume the weight of a MIC top would negatively impact the miles somewhat.

Uthatcher

First Edition
First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think a lot of fuel economy also comes from the super light weight Goodyear Territory tires. If you look at the weights of other tires in the same size they are a lot heavier. Everyone changing tire brands will probably see a 1-3mpg hit.
I have 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on KMC's coming next week so I'll be able to test this theory. I'll try to remember to weigh them vs stock as well.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive with start-stop, eco mode and maximize cruise control and remain within the speed limit.
I have been using the start-stop as well but not Eco. I have noticed this past week that it has been cold enough for it to be automatically disabled that my overall fuel economy has dropped a bit, I have also been running around in 4H most days too. Still don’t have enough seat time to really figure out a pattern yet though.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 4 door SAS, 4A, Remote start every morning, hilly CT, city/hwy avg is 16.0 consistently.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have been using the start-stop as well but not Eco. I have noticed this past week that it has been cold enough for it to be automatically disabled that my overall fuel economy has dropped a bit, I have also been running around in 4H most days too. Still don’t have enough seat time to really figure out a pattern yet though.
I have read a handful of posts stating that eco mode made no difference. Pretty soon I will just use the regular mode instead of eco mode and start-stop to see what the results are. I don’t have the Sport mode on mine which is probably a good thing because I would enjoy driving in that mode and mileage would definitely suffer.

Sponsored

rgalvinmi

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm getting 18 combined. Base squatch.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

The Bronco is significantly larger and heavier the the new Wrangler, then add the bigger tires...

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know MPGs can vary a lot with driving type and on Wranglers/4runners people usually get way under what it says on the sticker. Curious to know what people are getting with the Sasquach since there's not a lot of data out there. Anyone get close to the 17 MPG that's it says on the sticker?
Fuelly has me at 17.5 average, 18 last and 19.6 best on 6078 tracked miles. Car computer has me at 18.5 average over 6400 miles.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No bronco yet….but I live in Houston. I see many people at WOT hurrying to the next red light. I always wonder if they complain about poor gas mileage…..

Fixajet

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 / 2021 EcoSport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am seeing all the variations in gas mileage but, is everone in normal mode or is anyone trying the
Eco mode for better milage?
Sponsored